DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

HDC Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
lee-bay-on-solent

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
HDC Failure

Hi

Just wondering if anyone had experienced this before... Proud owner of two weeks of D3 05 BB HSE - love it, now I've got used to all the gadgets, especially the DVD's, TV Tuner and Playstation (what we do for our kids !!!)....

After our day of snow last Sunday, the same fault has occured a few times - It comes up with HDC Failure, and then all the various Terrain options, ride height etc, are no longer available, all the lights for them have gone out - there have been a couple of extra symbols lit on the dash, one being and an amber handbrake light. If you turn the ignetion off, and then back on, all is well - but since last Friday, this has happened about six times...

Wondering if it was anything to do with the Snow, and then dampness since - my only experience of LR was a W reg Freelander, which broke down anytime it went through a puddle !!!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Still under warranty, so not too worried...

Post #28588112th Apr 2008 9:21 pm
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Likely to be either a wheel speed sensor or height sensor problem. Trouble is, the problem could be anywhere between the sensor and the relevant ECU. Off to the dealer with you I'm afraid. Sad
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #28589412th Apr 2008 9:36 pm
TB

England 

Sounds like a software glitch as the onboard self test is clearing the fault when ever you restart the car.

A trip back to your dealers should fix it for good. All under warranty. Thumbs Up
 Arctic Frost RR Sport. TDV6 SE. Aspen Leather, Tow pack, PTI, Privacy Glass, Tasmods, Mudflaps & a RRSport umbrella in the boot.

Post #28589612th Apr 2008 9:38 pm
Maverick

Scotland 

I thought that the same problem was caused by a loose connection too the TR dial?

I'm probably wrong though!
 Ben

1996 Defender 90 300 TDi 

Post #28590412th Apr 2008 9:45 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
...might be an idea

writing down what other brake related modes fail when it happens.....i.e do you lose ABS? do you lose traction control ?

I had Hill descent fail on my Disco 2 & directly after ABS & traction gave up....not to be reset by ignition reset n my case was fault in brake module that wasn't fixed by inbuilt systems (from what I am told a rare fault on this model)....at least on the D2 you had to be in low ratio to get HD so using gearbox was next option...
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #28591412th Apr 2008 10:06 pm
Maverick

Scotland 

Well, what if there was a thread to put this on?
 Ben

1996 Defender 90 300 TDi 

Post #28591512th Apr 2008 10:08 pm
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Er, this one?
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #28592212th Apr 2008 10:22 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
zaphod

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Brake bulbs?..........

zaphod wrote:
Johnmac,

Wish you had posted last week. Sad Changed a brake bulb with a Halfrauds one last Thursday. Tonight several faults appeared; Big Cry

Firstly, no auto gear shift - Had to use command shift, then; HDC inoperative, Suspension dropped, Special Programmes Not Available, Traction Control Light on, Orange EPB warning light on, Suspension failure light on.

Stopped and switched the whole thing off for 2 mins then re-started. After 5 mins the whole failure sequence re-commenced, finishing with the engine not stopping when the key was turned off. Evil or Very Mad

The LRA bloke who came knew immediately what it was. Bow down The first thing he asked was "Have you recently changed any bulbs?" Question

The bulb I had fitted (from a Halfrauds bulb kit) has the filaments very close together, with the loops on the support wires holding the filaments rolled inwards rather than outwards. The outcome being that when the bulb heats up sufficiently, the supporting wires are close enough for the current to arc between them sending spurious signals up the brake circuit when the tail lights are on. Not a problem in a car with a normal wiring loom, but in the D3 and RRS this apparently confuses the whole electrical circuit causing multiple failures and dozens of error codes.

Anyway he quickly replaced the bulb with a proper LR one, checked and cleared the codes - problem solved. Solution - get spare bulbs from LR not Halfrauds! Thumbs Up

Apparently this issue is known to LR and they are having all the problem bulbs sent back to them.

Just a shame that such a simple problem completely Censored up such a capable car Confused

Just a possibility?
 Sail Fast - Live Slow...

.. / -.- -. --- .-- / .-- .... . .-. . / -- -.-- / - --- .-- . .-.. / .. ... 

Post #28592412th Apr 2008 10:26 pm
lee-bay-on-solent

have alway (obviously) been out and about when it's happened,with both girls under three, in the car !!!. The next time, I will ensure I am more observant, and check what it says has failed - anything that is controlled from all the bits by the gear leaver (easiest way to describe it) cannot be selected, and there are at least two lights that come on, on the dash.

Will post again, as soon as it happens again (fingers crossed it doesn't)

Thanks for everyones input so far...

cheers

Post #28592512th Apr 2008 10:28 pm
Maverick

Scotland 

Martin wrote:
Er, this one?

Well, yeah! But I meant a dedicated thread, with out the usual 'banter' on it!

EDIT- Sorry, what I meant was what if there was a thread with all the failure messages/warning lights on it with the likely causes and whether it is possible to be fixed with or without the dealers help!
 Ben

1996 Defender 90 300 TDi 

Post #28592612th Apr 2008 10:36 pm
lee-bay-on-solent

thanks zaphod

Very interesting - I definately have the message, special programmes not available come up..

I haven't changed any bulbs, but have only owned the car for just over two weeks, so what happened before then is anyones guess.

Will ensure I make a proper note next time it happens, so I can report fully back to Disco3 and to LR when it goes in for its next service - or to LRA if need be... Silly question, but as I didn't purchase from LR dealer, it wasn't explained. Is LRA for all cars 3 years and under ??

again - many thanks

Post #28592712th Apr 2008 10:41 pm
AVE
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XXV LE Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi

Warranty is for 3 years unlimited mileage. Check when your MY05 was first registered, mine is about to run out in June.

I've had similar problems when car lost all special programmes and went down to the bump stops...but I also had a fault with the auto gearbox at the same time. It went into dealer and hasn't happened since.

Jan
 As you slide down the banister of life
may no splinters point your way

Disco XXV
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY16
Discovery Sport HSE Lux MY17

Evoque HSE Dynamic MY16 (Gone)
RRS2 Autobiography Dynamic MY14 (Lovely car but preferred the Disco!)
Disco 3 Tdv6 HSE MY05 (owned for 11 years and now gone)
Range Rover Sport HSE MY11 (Gone)
Freelander2 SE (Gone but the most reliable car we've ever owned)
Disco 2 V8 (Gone) 

Post #28593112th Apr 2008 10:56 pm
zaphod

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

lee-on-solent

if you're near your LR garage, pop in and get a couple of bulbs and change them over. They're only about 80p each and a 5 min job (if your dealer's any good they'll do it for you). It would at least then rule that out as a possiblity as it completely b Censored ers up the car when it happens. Thumbs Up
 Sail Fast - Live Slow...

.. / -.- -. --- .-- / .-- .... . .-. . / -- -.-- / - --- .-- . .-.. / .. ... 

Post #28602513th Apr 2008 12:26 pm
lee-bay-on-solent

LRA have been out and it was caused by Brake Light Switch - been swapped over and so far all ok Razz

thanks for everyones input

Post #28648214th Apr 2008 2:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >