Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

saturated LHS footwell
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Endeavour

Canada 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3
saturated LHS footwell

after a very heavy rain shower I got in my LR3 to a squelching sound and visibly wet floor on driver side
I opened the LH rear door and some water gushed out

I assume its seals for front and rear LH doors I need to replace. Is this a common problem? straighforward fix?
I hope so

Post #234227515th Jul 2023 7:57 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

If you have a sunroof it’s more likely to be the sunroof drain pipe elbows decayed and leaking
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #234230916th Jul 2023 9:14 am
Endeavour

Canada 2006 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

oh interesting, yes I do have a sunroof

Post #234233716th Jul 2023 12:31 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Search 'sunroof drain' or 'water in footwell'. There is loads of info on here. Info that I've used myself to fix the drain elbow. The passenger side sunroof drain on UK cars requires removal of a central electrical juntion board which is tricky .Not sure which side this is on in Canadian cars. There have been other causes , as you say , like door seals that have caused issues too. Worth the search. Good luck
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #234238716th Jul 2023 9:05 pm
KPTV8

Scotland 2010 Discovery 4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Two things, first the IMPORTANT ONE :-

1. ASAP you MUST drain that footwell, there are several exposed electrical joints and components beneath the DEEP insulation+carpet down there, if you leave the water in there then electrolysis will fairly quickly start to wreak SERIOUS electrical havoc, apparently coming from all over your car.

So, get the RH wheels up on a kerb or similar (you did say it's your LH footwell ?), pull up the carpet&padding (must remove some trim above floorpan between A & B pillars). Pull up the loom and look for water swilling in recesses in the floorpan, if so then drill little holes to drain the water. I use 3mm drill, be VERY CAREFUL only to pierce the floorpan esp. at the instant the drill breaks through, there's a serious risk of puncturing whatever is fitted beneath that floorpan !! (There is a gap below the floorpan so just drill gently until the drill breaks into that gap).

You should do the above at very first opportunity. If you can't do so quickly then disconnect the battery until you can, that will greatly reduce the damage meantime. Damage via electrolysis is insidious and very difficult to reverse, and in some cases the process can erode copper strands BENEATH INTACT PVC INSULATION to the point where affected wires develop high electrical resistance and in some cases wires fail altogether.

2. (BEFORE you commence what follows, test first that your sunroof drain hose is REALLY dumping water into the foot well - pour water into the front LH corner of the sunroof drain gutter (there's a hole) and check it's NOT coming out correctly into the wheel arch). Assuming you see water instead ending up in the floorpan then :-

Yes it's a real pain to remove the big junction box which blocks access to where the "official" sunroof drain hose exits into the wheel arch. BUT it IS POSSIBLE to "fish" a suitable length of NEW hose from above, down behind that J box - take off the A pillar trim, pull up the now-useless hose, and fish about to check you can get a new hose from above down into the footwell. If that works then you have the option to couple a stretch of new hose onto the sunroof gutter downpipe above, leading to a new plastic elbow set into a repurposed hole in the floorpan.

If you choose this action then send me a P.M., I'll talk you through acquiring and fitting the replacement hose and elbow.

Finally - lateral thinking - there could well be other exit routes for a new sunroof drain hose coming down the A pillar, have a think about this and a poke-around. Short term you could consider simply running a new hose into a vessel/bottle of some sort sitting inelegantly in the footwell !!

Kind wishes and good luck !!!

Post #234241117th Jul 2023 6:49 am
Naki Blake

New Zealand 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Great points KPTV8

The only thing I would add (I too had perished sunroof drain elbow).

Once I replaced the elbow, I ran a home (domestic) dehumidifier inside my car for about 5 days. I emptied approx a litre of water a day (approx 5 L in total). That underlying foam, which is about an inch thick holds a lot of water. I propped up the carpet with a block of wood so that the air circulated under the carpet.

Good luck. Blake

Post #234241217th Jul 2023 7:17 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >