DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Engine noise
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mikebum

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Engine noise

Hi,

Now, bear with me here folks, I am a newby….

I recently bought a ’56 Disco 3. It is a manual ‘S’ model but with quite a few extra’s. It had done 12,000 miles at the time of purchase.

Now this is the first Diesel 4x4 I have owned, so maybe I am being paranoid but I have noticed the following, and although I appreciate it is difficult to quantify in words I just thought it might be worth bouncing this idea around to see if there was any feedback/recommendations.

Initially, when the car is cold the engine sounds smooth (still sounds like a Diesel, but nothing untoward), but when it warms up (after about 5 mins of driving) there is what sounds like an excessive ‘pinking’ type noise at low revs when under load… this noise then diminishes throughout acceleration. It seems to have got worse over the last few weeks.

On the motorway, in 5th or 6th gear at 2500Rpm it is no problem at all.

Obviously the car is still under warranty, and I have every intention of taking this up with the dealer – I just thought it would be worthwhile raising the issue on here first in case this was a common problem?

Thanks in advance
Mike

Post #2820984th Apr 2008 9:32 am
LeighW
D3 Decade 

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Firstly Mike, welcome to the forum.

Engine noise - common problem? - no - but definately see what the dealer says about yours to be safe.

But be aware that on this forum there have been discussions about types of oil (including grades) that some owners comment have had an effect on the noise of the engine.

My model has more drivetrain noise than engine noise at most speeds. My D3 has now done almost 60 000 kilometres on either Castrol 5W30 (Castrol Edge here in Australia) or Mobil Super1 - both full synthetics. In fact, I wouldn't use anything other than full synthetics in modern engines.

If you are not sure of what oils the previous owner used, then, for the relatively small cost involved have the oil changed to one that your dealer recommends or you know meets the manufacturers (high) standards and see if that makes a difference.

Oh, and by the way, 2500 rpm in 6th gear would be about 143.9 kmh so I don't think you will hear the engine noise too well! <g>

HTH, Leigh
 LeighW

The old girl is on her third engine...
* first ran a bearing (design failure in original engine)
* second had a failure of the water outlet on top of the engine (pls check yours) 

Post #2821104th Apr 2008 10:11 am
mikebum

Cheers Leigh, appreciate the feedback mate.

143.9 kmh sounds about right, that's just under 90 Mph in old money, which is as much as i've taken her up to on the Motorway. Normally sit at 70 Mph, and she is as smooth as a babies bum at that speed!

I will consult the dealer on Monday, and then investigate the possibilty of an oil change.

Maybe i'll try a tank of V-MAx Diesel as well.

Mike

Post #2821164th Apr 2008 10:29 am
SPOTTER

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi Mike, most diesels sound quite different under load to off load and mine can certainly be quite rattly at lower rpms (less than 1500). The D3 is a fair old weight so low rpm will load the engine up a far bit, might be worth keeping the revs at 1800/2000 to get better acceleration and the engine will complain less.

I run additives and expensive diesel and while the engine is a bit smoother and less smokey it still rattles Thumbs Up
 end of an era ....... maybe a Defender when it appears.......  
Post #2821204th Apr 2008 10:36 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CG

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Engine noise

mikebum wrote:
Hi,

Initially, when the car is cold the engine sounds smooth (still sounds like a Diesel, but nothing untoward), but when it warms up (after about 5 mins of driving) there is what sounds like an excessive ‘pinking’ type noise at low revs when under load… this noise then diminishes throughout acceleration. It seems to have got worse over the last few weeks.

Mike

Mine done that since day 1, much quieter than the old D2 though.

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant" 

Post #2821664th Apr 2008 1:06 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Engine is under load at low revs and you've got your foot down. The response is more fuel thrown into the engine for a bigger bang to get the revs up. You're hearing the injector chatter and detonation from the heavy fuelling under these load conditions.

Crap description, but that's roughly what's going on.

Or to put it another way, "They all do that sir".
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #2821734th Apr 2008 1:19 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

Sounds perfectly normal to me ...IMO the TDV6 is by far the quieter engine than that in the Frelander 2 or even the TDV8, ...but it still has a little bit of clatter Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #2821764th Apr 2008 1:34 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Concur with NoDo$h - it does sound like pinking in a petrol engine, but you have to remind yourself this is still a diesel, even though it's easy to think otherwise as it's so refined. Perfectly normal as far as I know, and mine sounds just like you describe. No need to worry Thumbs Up
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #2821784th Apr 2008 1:34 pm
mikebum

Thanks for the feedback guys.... much appreciated.

I suppose the difficult thing is quantifying an acceptable level of 'clatter' (yes, it does sound like pinking would on a pertol engine). I am going to take it to the dealer on monday for a technician to take a look, no doubt they will tell me it is perfectly normal.

I might ask to test drive a couple of other vehichles though just to make a comparison.

Then go with the odd tank of V-Power.... can anyone recommend any decent fuel additives?

Mike

Post #2821944th Apr 2008 2:07 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

DG wrote:
Sounds perfectly normal to me ...IMO the TDV6 is by far the quieter engine than that in the Frelander 2 or even the TDV8, ...but it still has a little bit of clatter Wink

Strange thing is the MY07 / 08 onwards have noisier engines (sounds breathier if that makes sense) than previous versions. Or should I say different sounding engines than previous model years.

But as I get around 32MPG and not 27MPG overall with the 'new' engine - I'm not that bothered Thumbs Up

I get far more transmission wine and a slight booming now though dependant on revs and engine load Neutral

Post #2821954th Apr 2008 2:11 pm
crews control

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

Mike, you're not alone - When I first picked up mine, just over a year ago, I had exactly the same feeling with the noise of my engine and posted about it here: http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post151913.html#151913

After the dealer saying the expected "it's perfectly normal sir" (even though I've driven diesels for years) I have learned to live, and even enjoy, the noise of my car.

What I discovered, from many very knowledgeable members on here and some experimentation on my own, was that the fuel I used made a huge difference to the noise. The problem is that the changes don't usually occur until after you've put more than a tankful through - even from empty there's rarely an immeadiate change. For some reason shell seems to make mine quieter and texaco does quite the reverse (really bad). I haven't noticed much of a difference with the V-power so still undecided as to whether it's worth the cost but I am a whole lot more careful where I fill up now!

(It's also a very different sounding engine from the other deisels I've driven but it does seem to be possible to get used to it)

Thumbs Up
 2005 D3 HSE
2011 D4 Landmark
2016 D4 HSE Lux
2017 Ford Tourneo VR46
Club Waitomo 

Post #2822184th Apr 2008 3:42 pm
B19DEF

I can say it is perfectly normal, every one I have driven (500+?) does it under high load/low rpm conditions. I quite like the noise myself, but then im sad!! Laughing

Post #2822884th Apr 2008 6:25 pm
ridgeback_moor

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

I'm just starting to notice the effect of putting decent fuel in - it was full of Tesco diesel when i picked it up but now after 40 miles on BP Ultimate Diesel it's quieter (less pinking noise) and faster too. I think the Torq Tune must have been developed for BP Ultimate! I'll be using that fuel from now on - even though it's 120.5p a ltr down in Devon Big Cry
http://www.bp.com/genericsection.do?catego...Id=7009112
The web site shows a D3 in the dunes so must be good!
 Previously:
2005 D3 2.7 TDV6 S
1984 90 2.25 Petrol CSW
1992 90 200TDi Hard Top
1995 Discovery ES 300TDi
2003 90 TD5 Truck Cab

Post #2824584th Apr 2008 10:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >