Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Off Topic - Humour, Rants & Pointless Posts

LIV GOLF
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4
LIV GOLF

will be interesting to see how this pans out...money money...no different than footie i guess...Saudi on the march

Post #229504810th Jun 2022 12:30 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

the numbers are staggering; $160m just to play in the tournament, Tiger Woods was supposedly offered $400m but turned it down.

I think many of those currently refusing whether that be for 'pure golfing reasons' or anti-regime reasons will probably all shift over at some point as the PGA tour, etc unlikely to survive as the blue-chip events going forward and/or will become more pro-am as the 'names' move across?

Like football but now a slow creep, all in at the first round and 'kill' the opposition?

Post #229505510th Jun 2022 7:31 am
terryall

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

On radio 5 live they said Tiger Woods had turned down a $700 million offer. They are trying to make golf more modern etc but the problem is you still have to play 18 holes so you can’t speed the game up. Shoot outs over 9 holes or similar for big money will attract players and spectators but in the end the same top players win most times. Not sure how any of this improves the game but the PGA need to improve for sure

Post #229506010th Jun 2022 8:42 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I doubt the Saudis care one jot for golf and its development. They're buying prestige and using sport to bolster their regime's name and cover its nastiness.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #229506410th Jun 2022 8:48 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The thing is, if you were in their position, what would you do? Whistle
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder
Duratrac tyres
IID BT
BAS FBH control 

Post #229508110th Jun 2022 9:28 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

If I were a title-winning millionaire golfer I probably wouldn't take the Saudi dollar. If I was a less successful golfer then I'd probably take the Saudi payment and go and play for them. It's easier to have principles about such things when you have enough money in the bank already.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #229508810th Jun 2022 10:03 am
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Kudos to Tiger if true as however rich you may be $400m, $700m or $1b, another number bandied around with his name attached to it, is an absurd amount (just to put some context on that; you could spend $100k a day for twenty five years without even factoring in interest or growth Shocked ).

I would think plenty of lower ranked names will be quick to go as, to many, it is a 'job that feeds their family' and cannot be ignored if you go from a couple of hundred grand, and plenty of known names only earn a fairly low amount really, a year to making that in one tournament or less.

What happens when they 'kill the competition' off, will that level of money continue?

Post #229510710th Jun 2022 12:31 pm
Captain Crosscheck

Ukraine 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Well, it'll probably end up like the footie. Billions of blood money sloshing around and noone giving a rats @rse. (Yes, Newcastle supporters, I'm referring to you).
With sportswashing being so prominent and obvious I see no reason why golf should end up differently. Shame, because most golfers will probably be tempted by the enormous sums, just like all other athletes have. It ruins much of the game for people who won't win or loose money over it, and who actually possess a backbone.
I for one have stopped watching Champions League and the other big leagues, and I most definately won't watch anything from Qatar this year Censored

Post #229514010th Jun 2022 5:01 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I don't watch cricket or rugby any more thanks to Sky buying it up. I watch a bit of the 6 nations and I listen to TMS. I watch a bit of F1 using online streams. Sky might have bought these things but they aren't getting any of my money because of it. Fck 'em!
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #229514110th Jun 2022 5:06 pm
MikeO

Scotland 

I tried to explane the same stance to the in-laws when they came to visit and offered to use their account to put the Scotland match on the telly. I explained I didn't want Sky in the house and was happy to listen on Radio Scotland. Did not compute for them...
 2016 Skoda Octavia VRS Estate
<gone>2009 FF Vogue TDV8 Buckingham Blue</gone>
<gone>2015 BMW 520D SE (not my favourite car)</gone>
<gone>2009 D3 HSE Galway Green</gone 

Post #229515510th Jun 2022 7:54 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

it appears the current worry is that an LIV player wins the open at st andrews...tiger woods not impressed with LIV

Post #229991314th Jul 2022 12:26 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
icestationzebra

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Now the Saudis have apparently offered Ronaldo 300 million euros for 2 seasons play.

Post #229999314th Jul 2022 12:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >