DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Oil pressure light and secong BING on startup
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
AndreasG

Cyprus 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3
Oil pressure light and secong BING on startup

Greetings to all,

I am facing an issue recently which I hope people can shed some light on. Got nowhere definitive by reading other similar posts but not all symptoms seem to be the same.

I have owned my car for the past 4 years and I have been servicing it with Motul engine oil and Bosch oil filter (it’s what I can easily source locally anyway) and an added 0.5lt Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer as a precautionary measure.

Last oil change I used Ravenol, as I had changed the gearbox and diff oils and thought I’d give it a go as the reviews were very good and also changed to a Mahle oil filter which I ordered online with other parts after reading how much people DO NOT recommend Bosch oil filter.

After this I started noticing that the oil pressure light took longer than the ‘normal’ 2 seconds to go off on the day’s first start up. It took around 4 seconds to go out and I even got a second bing (which seems to warn about engine oil pressure as it bings and then the oil pressure light goes out. Everything seems to be ok after that. No smoke, no codes, no lag, car pulling OK and the rest of the day’s starts it tappets and the light goes out within a second or two just as expected.

Worryingly, I changed the oil filter to a genuine one and the problem still persisted. I also changed the oil back to Motul (WSS-M2C-913D 5W-30 spec) without any Lucas additive.

The problem still persists!

For the past 2 weeks or so I tried something different and it seems to work most of the times. First start of the day I turn the key to position 2, system check and bing, let it sit there for around 15-20 seconds, I then turn it off, wait for 10-15 seconds, turn to position 2 for another 10 or so seconds and start the vehicle up. The light stays on for around 2-3 seconds and I do not get a second bing.

I have ordered a new oil pressure sensor to change as my indie suggested might be the problem whci I will hopefully do some time this week. The again I’m thinking if it was a sensor problem wouldn’t I be getting the light on at various instances?

He also does not have the equipment to check the oil pressure. (I might seek to purchase them myself depending on cost if the consensus suggests so)

Oil pump changed 23,000Miles ago (2.5 years ago) to the Fomoco one.

P.S I use 5W-30 oil spec’d to A5/B5 WSS-M2C-913D and oil filter currently on the car is a genuine LR oil filter.

Ambient temp when starting the car: around 18-22 degrees C.

Thank you all for your time
 Discovery 3, TDV6, HSE, 2006
GAP IID BT Tool 

Post #236773429th Apr 2024 1:50 pm
AndreasG

Anyone? No one? Shocked
GAP IID BT Tool 

Post #236871113th May 2024 8:30 am
Oswiperus
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I think I would be getting the kit to test the oil pressure accurately as you've suggested. It's the only way you will know for sure.
'LR Time' Youtube channel has lots of videos on oil pressure and oil pumps incase you've not already found them.
 Stu

2016 D4 Landmark current
2022 Defender D300 SE Gone Sad
D4 2014 XS Commercial - Gone Sad
D4 2016 hse lux montalcino red - Gone
D3 2005 se java black - current
D3 2005 base manual - gone Sad
D2 1999 TD5 E white - current 

Post #236874113th May 2024 2:49 pm
ruben
D3 Decade 

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I only can to say…my 2006 manual D3 (6A), with me since new for 380,000 km and until approximately 1 week ago, it always did that, since new, I never found an explanation, it did it with the original pump and it continued doing it with the Fomoco changed on purpose on the second timing belt. I never found a behavioral pattern for it...it gave me the feeling that the "boongg seconds" increased when the annual review approached...that said, it never caused a problem, it was only at the first start in the morning, and not always , when the oil low presion red warning light took a very small fraction of time longer to turn off, which never exceeded a couple of seconds at most in the worst case of the coldest morning, I would tell you, forget it, these cars, about. All of that MY tended to be a little more alarmist than necessary, they did boongsss for almost everything... the 7A partially corrected that silly habit. believe me!! mine was always like that and he left very healthy, I changed for a defenderJust enjoy your car
 lost in translation!
DISCOVERY 3 SE man. TDV6 2006, my true love!
DEFENDER 2 SE D I6 MHEV 2024, other live. 

Post #236877813th May 2024 10:25 pm
Breg90

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Sounds like the oil system is draining down to sump after a stop.

Thoughts:

1/. Either the pump is loosing prime - is the oil filter drain line being blocked by the filter 'nubbin'?

2/. The system from the filter onwards is draining to sump on a stop - say a stuck open piston spray nozzle?
 Series one 1949 - in bits, chassis is strapped to the ceiling in my garage (beside the canoe)
LR 90 - In bits
Disco 3 - currently in bits 

Post #236878413th May 2024 11:08 pm
AndreasG

Thank you all for your feedback.

Well, as ruben has said it might be better to just [try and] not pay any attention. it's been 3 days now it starts just fine straight away without turning the key on and off 2 times Confused

Big service is coming up in about 1k miles so might as well tell them to give it a good check and have them do all the readings so in case further investigation or action is needed they can proceed.

thanks once again
GAP IID BT Tool 

Post #236884915th May 2024 10:28 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Have you checked the battery voltage, if thats getting low with age, this will bong at startup, how old is the battery. My 2007 always bongs after startup when left a few days, if used everyday it never bongs.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #236888116th May 2024 8:51 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
AndreasG

That's very interesting that you mentioned it. I was thinking about it the other day when i plugged in the IID tool and saw all the communication errors and lost signals that came up. I thought to myself that the battery might be the culprit of all this but the IID tool said 12.2V while switched off (at position 2) which from reading around seems to be the right number.

Battery was fitted new in July 2021.

I didn't relate the battery with the second bong after startup though as it coincides with the oil pressure light switching off right after it bongs. And if the light stays on after startup for less than 3 seconds it doesn't bong.
GAP IID BT Tool 

Post #236888316th May 2024 9:19 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Battery problem, not the oil pressure!

If you're attempting start with 12.2v the starter motor will pull this down momentarily to below 12.0v and as Flack says this will cause the warning as other modules are now starved of voltage.
You might have a drain issue on the battery or lack of use can cause this also. That's why you have repeated coms faults logged! (aftermarket accessories?)

Or, maybe just a dying battery but nothing to be worried about beyond that. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236889816th May 2024 2:09 pm
AndreasG

I love this community!

Is there a way to check the battery for this specific thing at an electrician let's say?

What is the battery spec i need to search for? I'm not sure I can get the brand but a friend of mine is an importer of car batteries so I know what to ask for?

Thank you guys!
GAP IID BT Tool 

Post #236890116th May 2024 2:29 pm
PROFSR G

Charge the battery to at least 12.8v and see how much that drops over a given time period with the vehicle idle and locked. A digital clamp meter is useful for monitoring the battery voltage drop during this period.

If the voltage is dropping, and you have aftermarket accessories fitted disconnect them one by one to see if any are affecting the drop. Turn off the interior lights before you begin as opening doors etc will trigger them on and skew your test.

A garage workshop should be able to test the capacity of the fully charged battery or just replace it with a decent quality (eg Yuasa 100Ah HSB019 5yr guarantee)

Remember, a battery showing 12.0v is not a fully charged battery, it is an almost completely dead battery!! There are some useful instructional posts on here to assist in tracing battery drain issues if you do a search. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236890616th May 2024 2:55 pm
ruben
D3 Decade 

I don't think it's a low battery problem...in any case, in my long process of observing the second booong, it was 18 years and almost 400,000 km, that's why I tell you, forget it, I found only a pattern of behavior based on continuous, and I say continuous , observations...and I managed to predict the boonggg before it occurred, I managed to do it...first I must to say that my car never used a deciliter of oil between changes...never...so what was happening? It was easy..if you looked at the oil level and it was at the MAX point then there was a second bongggg that is to say all the oil was reduced in the crankcase and its rise took a fraction of a second too long to fill, witness slightly slower and then there was a repetition of the booonggg, however if the level was in the upper third, I understand that not all the oil would have been drained into the crankcase and there was a slightly faster filling...as a result the booonggg was not repeated...this always happened...even later of changing the car's original oil pump with another original FoMoCo one...and the draining occurred more often when the annual oil change was closer… What I never knew is the reason why this drainage occurred…or not... change in the properties of the oil with the kilometers?, position of the filter? …I never knew it
 lost in translation!

Post #236890816th May 2024 4:05 pm
AndreasG

I spoke to an electrician and taking the car in to have the battery checked on Monday.

I plugged in the IId tool last night and the it showed 12.1 when key was turned to position 2. Fell down to 10.5 (and went red) while the car was cranking and stabilised at 14.2 when the car was idling.

I am also going to go see about making a gauge to check the oil pressure (just to get my mind off of that as well).

the car has no aftermarket accessories as you have asked above and although I really am trying to just ignore this, it bothers me because it just started doing this all of a sudden so I just want to be proactive in case something is obvious in needed attention.

I'll update here as soon as i know more
GAP IID BT Tool 

Post #236898117th May 2024 1:20 pm
ruben
D3 Decade 

very good, I will be attentive, I no longer have the Discovery 3 but I am really interested, good luck with it!! 👍🏼👍🏼
 lost in translation!

Post #236899117th May 2024 3:37 pm
PROFSR G

AndreasG wrote:

the car has no aftermarket accessories as you have asked above and although I really am trying to just ignore this, it bothers me because it just started doing this all of a sudden so I just want to be proactive in case something is obvious in needed attention.

You're perhaps overthinking it, if no accessories fitted then new battery will sort it. Worst case scenario you have an alternator/earth or battery drain issue which is usually easily enough to resolve. Make sure you charge the battery before visiting the Auto Elec. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #236899317th May 2024 4:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >