DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

A weird one - I'd love your thoughts!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Bracechenko

Wales 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
A weird one - I'd love your thoughts!

So, here's a weird one for you....

I've recently bought a D3, MY07 Diesel with the EGR delete done (blanking plates) and ECU software update applied to stop the engine mgmt light kicking up a fuss....these details are relevant so bare with me.

One of it's issues is that there's a horrendous flat spot in certain conditions when I press the throttle and there's no way it's simply heavy diesel turbo lag. The symptoms go like this..

Cruising at say 55mph quarter throttle.
Want to accelerate so press to half throttle.
Power dies and car starts slowing down slightly! Shocked
Press even more throttle and gearbox drops a cog, boost builds and it shoots off.

From what I've read, these things sort of point to EGR (although mine's gone), MAF or MAP. I started a thread asking for help to diagnose my MAF...

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/can-test-ma...96599.html

..ended up agreeing with another user and so bought a diagnostic tool to read the codes and see if anything was going on which could help me diagnose the problem.

OK, SO HERE'S THE WEIRD BIT and thanks for getting this far....

I bought a ThinkDiag tool which arrived this week. Plugged it in and was immediately disappointed as it didn't seem to register any of the modules in the car except a very small selection. It's supposed to do more so I'm picking that up with the company but all it appeared to do was actually bring on my engine mgmt light....ANNOYING! Big Cry

Well, since then the car drives like a dream!!! I have taken it on a few runs now to be sure but the throttle response has dramatically improved and the flat spot issue has gone. Basically, the car drives how I expected it to in the 1st place. Yes, it's still a heavy diesel with turbo lag but only in the way I expect and perfectly fine.

It's annoying that I now have an engine mgmt light on which I didn't before but I'm in touch with Bodsy so I'm sure he'll help me understand that at a point in the future. I'm also glad that the hardware on my car appears to be functioning correctly even if the ECU has got a problem somewhere.

Any thoughts as to what's going on? My theory is that whatever update was applied by the previous owner to remove the light after EGR delete was a bit shoddy. I always felt that this issue was fuelling/software related as everywhere else in the rev range it was OK and when on boost the car felt strong. I'm wondering if my diagnostic tool has 'reset' something to factory which has actually improved the ride.

Over to you guys - what do you reckon?

Post #224628612th Aug 2021 7:50 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I don’t think vehicles from early 2000s had a concept of “golden image” or “gold ROM” - rather, whatever firmware you flash an ECU with is the only one and that’s that.

Post #224628712th Aug 2021 7:54 pm
Bracechenko

Would it be possible that the EGR fix was some sort of overlay to mask values or something like that which is now gone? Obviously I'm guessing as I don't know the detail on how it works.

Just puzzled how plugging in a diagnostic tool has had such a profound effect??

Post #224629112th Aug 2021 8:10 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I would get yourself an Autel ap200 for under £50 and see what fault codes you have stored
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #224630012th Aug 2021 9:12 pm
lard

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I had the same procedure on my D3 - EGR blanked and software update applied - Bodsy is definitely one to ask, he did mine from start to finish including the ECU flash and it's been a dream ever since

Post #224633713th Aug 2021 2:30 am
Bracechenko

Yeah I hear that a lot with Bodsy and I'm getting the remap so can't wait for that!

Post #224633913th Aug 2021 6:50 am
lard

oooh the remap .... I spent hours deliberating about whether or not I should get it, I didn't in the end but would be good to know what your experience is, as its something I want to do in the future!

Post #224636313th Aug 2021 9:50 am
Bracechenko

I'll make a post when it's done. Going to be mid September... he's a busy man. I'm not actually looking for anymore power, just better driveability.

My D3 is on 141k miles so that was my concern but going to spend painful money on servicing, auto flush, diff oils, cambelts and then remap it.

Fingers crossed it'll be kind to me for a few years without too much else other than servicing.... we'll see though!

Post #224637613th Aug 2021 11:28 am
lard

ah similar situation to mine then - I'm on 145k and had Bodsy do a megaflush last year, EGR blanking and recently spent the cash on new upper and lower suspension arms in the front - before long it'll be like "triggers disco3" Laughing

Post #224637713th Aug 2021 11:30 am
Bracechenko

Hahaha...I strongly suspect you're right. At least I'm going in eye's wide open though... just paid a grand for new brake servo and vacuum pump.

Spending way more on it that it'll be worth. Only owned it a couple of months but unfortunately I absolutely love it. It's a beast, it's a nice clean car and it tows my caravan so easily which is really what I wanted it for.

No food for the kids now though Laughing

Post #224637813th Aug 2021 11:33 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >