Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

air suspension fault,body roll causing car sickness
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Nigel McBurney

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
air suspension fault,body roll causing car sickness

Sad HI I have a 2005 disco 3 SE registered 13 April nearly as bad as the 1 st. Having problems with body roll which started some time in december and have got worse,my wife cannot ride very far ie 15 miles before feelling ill and our labrador is sick after a few miles,and she knows there is something wrong and will not now get in the motor,have checked the mass dampers,one was hung up on the trailer wiring loom,releasing it did make a small improvement,tyre pressures ok.Local dealer test drove and reported that the ride was like being in rowing boat in rough weather,suspension alignment checked and adjusted,also suspension software updated,it now steers better but the misalignment had worn tyres on inner edges.Not satisfied,returned to dealer,another test driver reported nothing wrong so I requested another driver ,the service supervisor to try my vehicle he thought it ok,both drivers came up with, itis the worn tyres causing problems sir.I then requested test drive on similar vehicle ,this had superb ride with no rock and rolling,I have now put new tyres on back wheels ,no change,and it goes in for further appraisal next week,Last year there was post on this site a chap from Kent having similar problems,but no resolution,has anyone any ideas as to the cause of the loss of the superb ride,Please help as this otherwise surperb vehicle wil have to go if I and my wife cannot travell in comfort.plus the warranty is nearly ended.Current mileage is 22,700

Post #27220513th Mar 2008 8:39 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

One of my clients had the same issue with a V8 & LPG conversion, the fuel tank plus the bumper mounted spare wheel appears to create a pendulum effect which causes the travel sickness (the suspension system has been checked and found to be working within specification) I've fitted the Matzker kit to the vehicle and the initial results from a trip down to the French alps seem to indicate this has cured the vomiting!

Post #27221813th Mar 2008 8:53 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

10forcash, have you thought about offering a "end of warranty" check over service so that any faults or TSB's could be checked out before the warranty ended.

I would be happy to pay for that to be done if your keen later in the year.

Post #27222013th Mar 2008 8:56 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

Can anyone recommend a good local dealer that Nigel can use to get this sorted ?

Maybe even a word with the service manager if you know them Thumbs Up

Post #27222213th Mar 2008 8:58 pm
countrywide

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4

It's not far from Hampshire to visit the Large One's dealership, they seem to be recommended by everybody

Post #27222513th Mar 2008 8:59 pm
10forcash

Yes mate - but that's something your dealer could / should do FoC...
Obviously happy to do the work for anyone that wants it Wink

Post #27222613th Mar 2008 8:59 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
countrywide

10forcash wrote:
Yes mate - but that's something your dealer could / should do FoC...
Obviously happy to do the work for anyone that wants it Wink

Yeah but I think you know more and go into a bit more detail. I'll send you a PM nearer the time, I am also being tempted towards the TorqTune and I could sneak this past SWMBO during the inspection Whistle

Post #27223013th Mar 2008 9:02 pm
10forcash

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Post #27223513th Mar 2008 9:07 pm
DiscoStu

England 

countrywide wrote:
I am also being tempted towards the TorqTune and I could sneak this past SWMBO during the inspection Whistle

You won't regret it Wink
 Disco 5 HSE Lux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peyiqaJrmMU 

Post #27223813th Mar 2008 9:10 pm
Nigel McBurney

Simon who is the large one dealership ,I must get this problem resolved ,current dealer now stating its caused by worn front tyres,

Post #27520919th Mar 2008 6:07 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

"The Large One" works at Yeovil Land Rover.

Post #27521319th Mar 2008 6:09 pm
simonsi

New Zealand 
Re: air suspension fault,body roll causing car sickness

Assuming the ride height is correct then the air springs must be at std pressure so I can't see how they could have changed or be a cause.

That leaves IMHO the dampers (of which one could have failed internally or multiple could have lost ther effect due to wear but would normally creep on over time whereas you report a fairly quick change), the anti-roll bars and the sub-woofer.

So:

Turn off/down the subwoofer to rule out its vibes causing discomfort

Do a bounce test on all four corners to assess the dampers, get each corner moving on its spring, when you stop inputting movement the body should stop and come to rest in less than a complete bounce and be roughly equal on all four corners.

Check the anti-roll bar fixings at both the chassis and suspension link points, failure of these bushes has been known.

After that I'm out of ideas. Tyre pressures OK?
 Cheers

Simon 

Post #27523419th Mar 2008 6:34 pm
Nigel McBurney

Hi fellows,thanks for the advice ,dealer cannot resolve problem,and I have checked over motor thoroughly,wife still ill after 50 mile journey so have taken another course of action,Ordered hi spec Nissan x trail today.The disco se was a very fine car and met all my expectations though the electric handbrake is a pain in traffic while towing a heavy trailer up hill.but disco 3 is too risky to own beyond 3 year warranty period.

Post #27887028th Mar 2008 9:06 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >