Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Transmission/HDC faults, parking sensor replacement
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
danrjm

Wales 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Transmission/HDC faults, parking sensor replacement

I'm getting my D3 out of Covid hibernation (57 plate, auto, HSE) - Only drove it for a couple of miles per week in the last four months, but now heading back to about 400 miles per week!

It had what seemed to be a low battery. Transmission fault, HDC fault, etc, usually after about 20 to 30 miles of driving. Restarting the car solved it, but would happen again 5 minutes later. The old battery had to be jumped a couple of times and wasn't holding voltage well (although the indicator on the battery was still green). I did a hard reset, cleaned the terminals, and fitted a brand new EA1000 Exide Premium battery a few days ago and all seemed fine. I did find what seemed to be a connector with two wires going into it from the loom behind the battery, which may have broken off from somewhere (see photo), so just put it down by the side of the battery. However, I've started to get transmission fault, HDC fault, etc, again although seems much less frequent.

I also had a brake light bulb go a while back. The dual filament bulb and only the brake light filament and not the rear light filament. I replaced it with a standard bulb from Halfords. I know the brake switch can cause issues, so maybe this is the problem? Can someone point me to a good guide on where to get a spare and how to replace on here?

I've also heard that it could be due to a chip getting wet behind the battery. My battery box lid has gone missing, well, it's at the garage as they forgot to replace it last November (only just found out!). Again, can someone point me to a good guide on this and where to get a spare if needed?

For the parking sensors, they had been making a continuous beep which I presume was because one or more sensors was faulty but, now, they don't work and nothing expect a flashing light on the reverse sensor button. I've read that you can figure out which one is faulty because of a clicking noise, but none click. However, one on the front has a small chip taken out of it maybe due to a stone off the road (see photo). Is this likely to be the problem and, yet again, can someone point me to a good guide to replace and where to get a spare?

Other things wrong with the car, which may or may not be useful in helping diagnose the electrical problems - The suspension pump is slow and throws up an error within a minute or two of starting the engine and the garage say its on its way out so it'll get replaced soon. There was a burning smell which I think turned out to be the air intake for the FBH which had become detached and fell onto a hot exhaust pipe and melted quite a bit (see photo). And the car pulls slightly to the left and had a slow puncture, but these are mechanical and probably because I off-road it sometimes. It had a new battery earth cable and handbrake module last year.

Post #217303810th Sep 2020 8:35 pm
danrjm

Photos didn't upload, so here they are:

Post #217303910th Sep 2020 8:39 pm
gstuart

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hiya

First thing I would check is the Vdc of ur battery , alternator, engine off, nothing turned on

Then to test it engine running around @2,000 revs , yet again nothing turned on, then again with everything turned on, ie, aircon, blower, heated screen if fitted , every item u can think of and yet again around 2,000 revs

To then write down what Vdc readings u get

Next get the codes read, options if u haven’t got ur own is garage or something like the Autel AP200 , can be bought for under £50.00. will at least give u the codes and a good starting point

Of course the gap iid is the best one to get but Autel will at least help

Once the battery has been tested , codes read u can then move on with other items

Personally with the amalgamation of errors, ie battery , pulling to one side , tyre , etc wouldn’t drive it until sorted out

Hope that helps

Ps, Also if I may add plse , did u charge the battery up before fitting it , more importantly do u know if the oil pump cover has even replaced , thks

Post #217304510th Sep 2020 9:29 pm
gstuart

Ref suspension pump, if it’s an hitachi u can get rebuild kits , might just be dirty filters in the dryer

Also critical is the oil pump cover , to ensure 100% it’s the updated one

Connector next to battery , think thats the transport plug, is redundant , tape it up and leave it to one side

Post #217305010th Sep 2020 9:41 pm
gstuart

New FBH silencer

https://www.advancedfactors.co.uk/jey00002...4535-p.asp

Should come with a new clip, if not , part number is JYC100930

Post #217305210th Sep 2020 9:46 pm
gstuart

Battery cover RH DWN500021

Brake booster cover LH DWN500031

Would have a look on ebay / breakers

Parking sensors , fault codes should help

Car pulling to one side , get tyre repaired, check tyre pressures , if it still pulls to one side, need all arms, bushes etc checking , may need 4 x wheel Alignment done using a hunter system

Hope that helps at least get u started , Checking oil pump is new upgraded one, ( inc belts have also been done ) battery , alternator , codes , Tyre leak, wishbones / bushes etc , alignment Thumbs Up

Post #217305710th Sep 2020 9:52 pm
danrjm

The battery was charged before it was installed. Battery voltage is 14.7V with everything off, 13.7V with engine running and 13.2V with everything on - My voltmeter isn't that reliable though as its very old. The in-car diagnostics measures the car voltage as 11.5V with only key in position 1, then 12.5V in 2, rising to 13V with engine on. I think 13V is normal as this is what its always run at?

Belts, oil cover, etc, were done 3 years ago and water pump last year. Arms, bushings, etc, were all checked last november and were fine but it probably does need a wheel alignment done though so will book it in. I've changed the tyre, and all tyres are at the right pressure - I can pump them here and check them regularly.

The alternator was also checked last november, when the battery ground cable was replaced. Don't think it's that.

The garage will give me my old battery cover back I think!

The pump is hitachi - Where can I get a rebuild kit and is it easy to do myself?

I'll have to get a code reader as don't have one.

But thanks for the help!

Post #217306110th Sep 2020 10:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >