Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

warped front disk?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
1powerrack

England 
warped front disk?

The other day whilst driving on the motorway I noticed when braking at approx. 60mph, I experienced vibration to the steering wheel, about 5 months ago I changed the front disks and pads, they looked a bit past their best, I used Pagid disks and pads (from euro parts) first time I have not used LR disks, I've done about 1500 miles since fitting, today I removed the front disks and pads to check for signs of the cause, the nearside front disk and pads were ok, checking the offside disk and pads, the pads again looked good no signs of uneven wear or breaking up, the disk however I could feel on the surface undulations across the disk face which I assume is the cause.

I could not see any other steering issues, I did replace the lower steering arm using a Land Rover unit about 2 years ago and I can't see that needing replacement, the "vibration" to the steering wheel is only felt at approx 55mph +

anyone experienced similar?
 D3 4.4 V8 2005 sadly now gone
Freelander 2 i6 HSE now gone was a very good 4x4
Triumph TR8 

Post #23360249th May 2023 9:28 pm
pjm-84

Ukraine 

Hi Glen,

Just seen your post / s. Disc and pads changed all round for LR geniue parts back in Late 2017 (circa 110k). The braking wasn't as good (feel / power) as my VW T5, had a slight wobble, so I junked what the car dealer had fitted in 2016. This transformed the braking and brought it back on par with modern standards. No idea what was originally fitted, but it went in the skip. (Also subsquently had new LR handbrake shoes)

Its also had new LR track rods and LR RRS genuine front arms subsquently (in the receipt file). Both front hubs changed for Timken in circa 2018.

Note both front and rear value blocks were geninue LR items and changed a few years back (2019/2020).

Post #23360309th May 2023 10:48 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

1powerrack wrote:
The other day whilst driving on the motorway I noticed when braking at approx. 60mph, I experienced vibration to the steering wheel, about 5 months ago I changed the front disks and pads, they looked a bit past their best, I used Pagid disks and pads (from euro parts) first time I have not used LR disks, I've done about 1500 miles since fitting, today I removed the front disks and pads to check for signs of the cause, the nearside front disk and pads were ok, checking the offside disk and pads, the pads again looked good no signs of uneven wear or breaking up, the disk however I could feel on the surface undulations across the disk face which I assume is the cause.

I could not see any other steering issues, I did replace the lower steering arm using a Land Rover unit about 2 years ago and I can't see that needing replacement, the "vibration" to the steering wheel is only felt at approx 55mph +

anyone experienced similar?

If you are getting a vibration at 55mph your wheels want balancing genuine Pagit are as good as they come and I think they are OEM, but I did say genuine!
Simple test put the old discs back on if you've still got them and see if they still do it Whistle
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #233604310th May 2023 6:52 am
pjm-84

Ukraine 

LR pads are made by Ferodo so I assume this would also apply to the discs.

Pagid.....I think they are fitted by VW. Discs look the same. Had disc corrosion issues on my VW and horrific rear pad wear (circa 17k a set / scored discs). No issue with braking though.

Now fitted with Brembo pads all round (rear VW discs / Brembo fronts). Much better combo and the rear VW discs much prefer the Brembo pads (35k miles on this set so far / no corrosion either / no scoring)

Post #233605910th May 2023 9:26 am
1powerrack

England 

thanks to all the replies, it's not a wheel balance problem the issue is only felt when brakes are applied and at speeds above say 55 mph it's more apparent, I think it's just a bad disc and I did take care to clean the hub before fitting the disc's, so replacements needed again.
pjm thanks for the info, I had been up to Scotland and on the long journey something had got between the pad and disc giving a deep rut so they needed changing for the mot, the V8 is still going strong just had a megga flush to prevent any potential g/box issues

Glenn
 D3 4.4 V8 2005 sadly now gone
Freelander 2 i6 HSE now gone was a very good 4x4
Triumph TR8 

Post #233616111th May 2023 9:47 am
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Last time I checked with Duckworths, using this forum discount, Land Rover discs were very competitively priced. It was the LR pads that were ridiculously priced.

I now use Brembo pads and discs and the only difference I can report is that the housings don’t rust on the Brembo discs.
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #233616711th May 2023 10:19 am
Moo
D3 Decade 

Ukraine 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If the car has not been driven much, and with the weather we've had, could the pad have rusted to the disc and given you a high spot?

I've just had this on my daughter DS whilst she was travelling in OZ for three months. I left it too long before driving it and now need to replace her discs and pads all round because of the vibration, which is minor but annoying. Rolling Eyes
 New Defender L663 110 SE (known as Noddy!)

Sold Volvo XC90 R-Design (known as Basil)

Sold - D4 HSE (Known as Gerty)

No longer the Old Buses original owner Sad
231,000 miles and counting
05 S manual owned from March 2005
D4 Face lifted
Still original injectors and turbo
V8 Front brakes
BAS Remap, Allisport Intercooler and deCat
EGRs blanked
T-Max split charge
Hanibal Expeedition rack
Prospeed ladder