DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

New Tyres fitted
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Hocks172

England 
New Tyres fitted

Sorry for the ramble,
I’ve had a set of new Pirelli scorpion verde’s fitted at Kwick fit and had a argument with one of the fitters, I know your going to say why there but they had a deal on and with lockdown was the easiest route to go down.
Firstly the fitter can’t find the jacking point? And after watching him look around the underside I asked if he wanted help? Which wasn’t well received then as he finds a spot he then goes and lowers the suspension ready for jacking? To which I walk swiftly over and state that he is not going to jack up the car in low suspension mode! To which he reply’s I have locked it so it’s fine.
I proceeded to ask if he knows what he doing and pulled the manual out from the dash and in big bold letters it states ‘when raising the vehicle put suspension in off road height’.
To which he got a bit lairy and I might have swore at him.
So the manager then comes over and says sorry and completes the job as I asked and states that he will deal with the employee later.
All good and the tyres are great especially with the new noise suppression foam in now.
But I am now questioning if I was right to say this as he seemed very adamant on locking the suspension in low to jack it up, have they got misinformation? Or are they being advised to do this?

previous LR D3 HSE, RRS HST, RR Evoque Dynamic Lux.
Current D5 HSE Lux 

Post #21444508th May 2020 8:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
al cope

England 

to be honest on my D4 I aways used to put it in off road mode to jack it up, and the once I have jacked the D5 did the same. The jacking points on the D5 are different to D4, as there isnt a chassis. On the D5 they are like metal plates which point down and the LR jack locates onto these.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #21444678th May 2020 9:32 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hocks172

England 

Yeah I did show him the jacking points but the side step brackets do go over on both points, there is a big metal bracket just a bit in where I recently jacked it up from to paint my calipers and I suggested there but it wasn’t well received.
Also to raise the suspension to lift the vehicle up, I thought was what had to be done? As it’s been mentioned on here as well as the manual.

previous LR D3 HSE, RRS HST, RR Evoque Dynamic Lux.
Current D5 HSE Lux 

Post #21444728th May 2020 9:44 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I thought the general method used by tyre places is to jack under the suspension arm thus avoiding jacking points altogether.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #21444928th May 2020 11:13 am
JMack

Scotland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I had tyres fitted earlier this week and they raised the car on a two post lift, so all four could be done at the same time rather than messing about with a trolley jack.

Was also raised to offroad height.

That was at Costco, not KF.

£80 off when getting 4 18" tyres. Thumbs Up

Post #21445358th May 2020 1:11 pm
ronp

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

The D3/D4 can also be jacked up in low and normal height modes at the jacking points.
But you must keep a door or tailgate open.
Personally though I always use off road height.
 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿  
Post #21445368th May 2020 1:11 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Isn't the point of using off road height a simple issue of saving effort? The vehicle can gain two inches in height all round in a less time than it takes to get the jack in place at one jacking point. You then have to lift it high enough to extend the strut so why not get the car to do some of it for you.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #21445488th May 2020 1:57 pm
X10NSK

Scotland 
Rear Tyres Fitted

I have just encountered a very similar situation today.
The mechanics at the garage had to phone one of their colleges at another branch to confirm the status of the suspension and they believed it was to be locked in low height with the tailgate open and hazards on!?
They were also unable to preform a wheel alignment due to the lane assist on my HSE model. They did not have the facility to reset this feature and where adamant only the manufacturer garages could do this.
Have you guys had this similar issue too?

Post #218927224th Nov 2020 3:20 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

to my mind, locking in off-road height means the likelihood of a wheel dropping and injuring someone is minimised, but the effort required to lift the car high enough to work on or remove a wheel is greater in that you have to get the jack to extend much further.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #218928324th Nov 2020 4:47 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Having changed the wheels on my D3 many, many, many times, I never bothered changing the height. Trolley jack under jacking point, never figured out the suspension arm malarkie, and axle stands to drop it down to and a bit of elbow grease had the wheel in the air. ISTR tyre places insisted on opening the boot door and put the hazard lights on, both I never bothered with, but it didn’t stop the car readjusting itself, that needed a passenger door to be open. When it adjusted once as a tyre was being fitted the chap said along the lines of “it’s not supposed to do that”, I replied “no-one’s told her that” and that “the book” was plain wrong.

All this was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. Whistle

Post #218928424th Nov 2020 4:55 pm
Russell

United Kingdom 

My experience is that D4 and D5 can be jacked in any height setting. The difference is that dependant on which setting you go for the car will initially try to self level which can take it off the jack but if you are aware of this and carry out the required checks as you go you can jack in any state.
 MY17 D5 1st Edition Namib Orange
MY15 D4 HSE Kaikoura Stone
MY12 D4 HSE Nara Bronze Sold and gone
MY11 D4 HSE Stornaway Grey Sold and gone
D3 S spec Silver Sold and gone
Tow bar, full length roof bars, side steps, tow bar storage unit, surround camers.
D4 camera club 

Post #218938925th Nov 2020 12:33 am
pagoda

Canada 2016 LR4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Yulong WhiteLR4

+1 for what Russell and DSL said. There's a lot of nonsense talked about jacking the car in various heights. When doing the fronts I've always used my sprinter bottle jack off the lower control arm in the perfectly made little indentation and have always lowered the suspension first to save on jacking effort. Never had a problem. Sadly my trolley jack doesn't have the elevation to get the Disco high enough.

The vehicle will attempt to level and take the wheel off the jack, which is a complete bonus.
 PAGODA  
Post #218939325th Nov 2020 2:47 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >