Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Members Helping Members

Moving Student accommodation.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Rescue01

Scotland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Moving Student accommodation.

Looking for some advice here. My daughter was here at home during the lock down from university.Her lease/rental of her student accommodation terminates at the end of the month and we need to vacate the property move her belongings and give it a good clean.

Now according to the legislation .gov.uk it states we can "move house where reasonably necessary"

I cant find anything on the gov.scot site as its crap Rolling Eyes

Now i would need to Drive from Aberdeen to Stirling to do this,i would be going from property to property and not mixing with anyone else.The rental property is empty.

Now i don't want to start a debate about going fishing or your granny walking to the shops Wink

Does anyone have any links that would help? Preferably to do with Wee Nicolas laws?

Help greatly appreciated as my Daughters OCD and Anxiety disorders are causing her lots of stress just now and i don't want her to have a meltdown Crying or Very sad
 Its not the height of the fall but the sudden stop at the bottom that hurts!!  
Post #21338691st Apr 2020 9:57 pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

The law, not the Government's "rules", says you can do it because, as the lease is ending, it is "necessary". She has to leave so she has to "move house". If she's moving in with you until such time as other accommodation is found, then it's reasonable for you to help her.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #21338721st Apr 2020 10:37 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

absolutely ... there is a legal contract that your daughter leaves the house and leaves it clean and habitable on a given date. To not do so puts her at fault .... and i remember what Censored my student days landlords were going back just shy of 40 years. bet nothing has changed ?

Post #21338731st Apr 2020 11:19 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I’m sure you’ve seen this, but it’s probably closest to your situation that I could find:

“If moving is unavoidable for contractual reasons and the parties are unable to reach an agreement to delay, people must follow advice on staying away from others to minimise the spread of the virus.”

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/government-adv...9-outbreak

Just use common sense to minimise the risk. 👍
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography 

Post #21338741st Apr 2020 11:21 pm
Rescue01

Thanks everyone for their advice and for that link LT.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Post #21338812nd Apr 2020 1:57 am
defector

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

A little off topic, but a nephew has been told that he will not need to pay his final terms accommodation fees due to the coronovirus - he lives in university accommodation.
His lectures and end of year exams will be online, so i assume the uni think a lot of students will go home and stay there.

Post #21338822nd Apr 2020 3:26 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Someone-Gone on 23rd Apr 2020 6:50 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #21338882nd Apr 2020 5:03 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Morning TD,

You've highlighted an issue methinks. The law makers being generally older types who are more likely to own their own home have spotted "their" issue and provided some guidance.

Completely missing the fact that 10s of thousands of youngsters will have to leave their short term rent places within weeks.

And how many spotty 17 to 23 year old move by themselves ? Big movement of family members and cars here we come.

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #21338902nd Apr 2020 5:14 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Wink

Post #21338972nd Apr 2020 5:53 am
Rescue01

There is lots of confused advice on all government sites Rolling Eyes

Her accommodation is a private rent. I’m going to go down At the weekend as announcements of new rules and regs are normally on a Monday. I will not be stopping for fuel snacks and hopefully I don’t breakdown!

If I’m stopped I just hope it’s by a police person with some common sense and a grip of reality. I will be polite and respectful and have copies of the Governments advice for them to mull over Thumbs Up I could take some bog rolls masks gloves flour and pasta and hand sanitizer to help me through any check points Whistle

The 110 will be sanitised on it’s return and all her belongings will be stored in the garage for a week before getting touched again,flat was shared by two others who have now re located.

I expect that you guys will do your civic duty and not post anything in the spotted section Laughing Laughing
Post #21339052nd Apr 2020 6:47 am
Someone-Gone

United Kingdom 

Mr. Green

Post #21339092nd Apr 2020 7:27 am
Pelyma

England 

You’ll be fine you have a legal requirement to get out - stay safe. Thumbs Up
 DS3 TDV6 HSE - Silver with Alpaca (old one) Gone
DS3 TDV6 HSE- Silver with Alpaca (new one) Gone
D4 HSE Lux - Montalcino Red Gone
Porsche Cayenne V8 Diesel S 

Post #21339212nd Apr 2020 7:51 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Rescue01 wrote:

I expect that you guys will do your civic duty and not post anything in the spotted section Laughing Laughing

So long as you don't drive by their houses you're fine. After all, they'll all be being good little boys and staying at home. No danger of seeing you on the roads because they won't be on them. Whistle Thumbs Up
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #21339492nd Apr 2020 8:52 am
al cope

England 

I got my daughter home from Plymouth just before the lockdown, but we didnt clear her place completly, assuming (maybe wrongly) that she might be back may/june time. Its a private rent, paid for until August so we are just leaving it as is for now. If it goes on longer into the summer, I may have to go and get the remainder of her stuff, just wait and see.

Al
 Volvo XC90 B5 Plus Dark
Gone - MY18 D5 HSE - Corris on 22's with Black Pack
Now gone - MY16 D4 SE Tech, Loire Blue, Almond Leather, Privacy, plus some other goodies.
Old - MY12 D4 SDV6 XS Auto - Ipanema Sand with Almond Leather - Plus other niceties, and D4.com sticker
Older - D3 TDV6 XS Auto - Lugano Teal with Almond Leather, 20" Stormers, Shiny Tailpipes, DVD/TV - and obligatory D3 sticker
Ancient - D3 TDV6 S - Tonga with Ebony, 20" Stormers, satnav & DVD 

Post #21339682nd Apr 2020 9:45 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
NoDo$h

Ukraine 

Similar situation to Al, my daughter is at Reading and she cleared most of her stuff out in early March, but left the bulky bits like bedding, towels etc.

Her rental runs to July, with her new one for next academic year running back to back. It's with the same landlord, who seems a pretty fair guy.

Current view is we have a legal obligation to vacate the first premises that over-rides any zealous over-application of .gov guidance. So if still in lockdown, her stuff has to come out.

As regards the new tenancy, contracts are already signed as it's a sought after part of town and a decent house, so I think we'd continue as things stand, but would probably hold off on moving her stuff in until we get a better idea of what's happening with the 20/21 academic year and the lockdown.
 I know it's not considered "kind" to say no these days, but no. Just no, ok? And if it's not ok, still no.  
Post #21339782nd Apr 2020 10:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >