Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Automatic gearbox: flush and filter or just flush?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Rich C

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 5 Seat Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Automatic gearbox: flush and filter or just flush?

I've just picked up a 2006 2.7 TDV6 auto with 115k on the clock and 11 years worth of farmyard in the carpets. Otherwise it seems to be in surprisingly good shape and it drives very nicely.

There's a bit of service history with it and I can see that it's had regular oil and filter changes and the belts were done recently, so that's good. Nothing to suggest it's had the automatic gearbox oil and filter changed though.

It's going to need a full service straight off with all fluids and filters to be changed (inc diff oils and transfer box oil), and I'd like to get the gearbox flushed while I'm at it as preventative maintenance. My question is, is it worth having the gearbox flushed but not replace the filter at the same time, or is this a false economy?

I'm in two minds as on the one hand I could do with keeping the cost down and I've been advised that it isn't always necessary to change the filter. On the other hand I don't like the idea of mixing nice fresh oil with a manky old filter.

As the vehicle is new to me I'm slightly wary of dumping a load of cash into it at this stage, so if I can save the £250 on the filter change that would be great. If it's not worth skimping though I guess I'll have to bite the bullet.

Any advice gratefully received!

Post #210182025th Nov 2019 7:33 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Welcome.

Please do a search of the forums. There are plenty of opinions and supporters of all of the following methods:

- drop pan, new filter, change oil (dilutes, does not replace it all)
- megaflush (properly done replaces all ATF, adds conditioners, etc.)
- filo flush (home made flushing)

Personally I’d do a megaflush but that’s just me.

Thumbs Up

Post #210182325th Nov 2019 7:37 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

You could do a double drain and flush for now with a view to a complete drain flush / filter change later on or when funds allow. Remember too that you will be changing the fluid every 40k or so from here on.

The important thing is to change the fluid at least, as opposed to doing nothing!
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #210182725th Nov 2019 7:47 pm
Rich C

Ok thanks, pretty much sold on the idea of a megaflush Thumbs Up

Just wondered whether the consensus was to change the filter as well at this sort of mileage (115k) or if people generally just have the oil pumped out and replaced. If it's not a false economy I'll probably settle for that for the time being and look to have the filter changed at some point next year.

Post #210182925th Nov 2019 7:54 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Plenty of people, including me, have not changed the filter. Mine had ~192k km (~ 120k miles) when I got the megaflush done in 2017. No issues then, no issues since. Knock on wood etc. Thumbs Up

Post #210184325th Nov 2019 8:34 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I just change the oil annually, pump it out via the cooler pipe and refill with the exact same amount, you obviously do not get it all, in fact I reckon you only get half of it, but it is cheap/easy/fast.
Mannol 55 I think, off of ebay.

Search for Filos gearbox oil change thread good reading.

Post #210192126th Nov 2019 8:01 am
Gorilla63

United Kingdom 

Anyone used Millermatic?

Post #210198126th Nov 2019 2:11 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

I Buy Manoll 55 off a well known auction site - its a german vendor. 20l in a drum for around £70 good for a few flushes and far cheaper than buying in the UK. arrives in 2 days

Sorry forgot to add - the last car had a new metal sump and replaceable filter but seemed a little leaky so i didn't bother on the current one
 Must stop buying shiny toys.... 

Last edited by darrind on 26th Nov 2019 7:43 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #210199726th Nov 2019 4:50 pm
GarageSteve

United Kingdom 

I replaced the filter when I did mine on a 2006 with 120000 miles on the clock, I put the conversion kit on with separate filter etc, I cut the old filter open and it was full of crud, so for me I was glad I did it, I changed the oil twice and it’s been fine since
 Current fleet
BMW X1
Kangoo van
Pug 108
MGF 

Post #210201526th Nov 2019 6:33 pm
Rich C

Thanks all for the pointers. Booked in for a megaflush and filter change next week along with a full service. Not ideal for my wallet but at least I'll know where I stand with it going forward.

Will be interesting to see if it makes a noticable difference to the smoothness of the box. Feels fine to me but there again it's the only one I've ever driven!

Post #210262929th Nov 2019 7:30 pm
Keefaaa

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Sorry to chip in with the complete opposite but there is much spurious information on the forums when it comes to oil and gearbox oil in particular. And I can't sleep. Smile

Firstly, a flush should only be necessary if your oil is leaving varnish or other surface contaminants on your gear teeth. The negative side affects of flushing chemicals outweigh the economics of a flush in most vehicle oil changes. The reason being is that when you do flush you will introduce further contaminants that are designed to break down a broad range of chemical bases that may or may not be present, thus new oil and it's additives when introduced will also be affected. Now it is cited occasionally that further additives added after the flush will counter act these issues but the fact remains that your new oil has its own additives that are sensitive to contamination. Additionally, it is worth noting that if varnishing has occurred which is the most common reason for flushing, often it's so difficult to remove from the surfaces that it needs to be removed mechanically as flush chemicals aren't capable alone.

The additives are actually the wear part of your oil and essentially what your trying to replace when you replace your oil. Oil on its own will run in a 'good' environment for 20-30 years if treated right. It's the additives that we should be concerned with in our vehicles, the oil will far out last them. So contamination and destroying the additives is what you want to try and avoid. At all costs. In the industrial environment if we require a flush we know this from an inspection and can sometimes make a good guess that it is required based on the oil sample. If flushed we get around the above issues by literally cleaning the oil during the start up - this a mechanical procedure of micro straining the oil for particle contaminants.
Getting to an answer on what to do then. The answer lies with what condition the oil is in. How do you know the condition? Sample it. It's cheap and will cost you around £20 a sample. There are many good industrial labs that will sample your oil and tell you it's condition and that of your gearbox. If a bearings failing the report will distinguish it from gear wear. If it's contaminated it will tell you what and sometimes how. Your first sample will tell you your gearbox is dieing but you need to baseline it. Then sample regularly and you will continuously know the condition of your oil and gearbox. If it deteriorates you'll know what and how bad. Just sample more if you get an issue before you act.

Granted the are sometimes complaints of degraded oil conditions on discos where they don't change well and are 'gunked' up. You will see this with your sample understand it and can flush it with repeated oil changes without introduction of contaminants.

My advice is to sample your oil now. Replace and change the filter. Sample the new oil. Sample again at your next service. Continue to do so and change on condition.

In industry we call this approach Reliability or Proactive Maintenance. The flushing approach is termed Preventative Maintenance which to give some perspective was proven in 1940s to introduce more failures than doing nothing at all. About 80% of all equipment failure is random in nature. So your flush will only cover you for 20% of potential failure modes and introduce you some new ones you never had in the first place

Post #210267730th Nov 2019 1:36 am
Bardley

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

So for clarity..

The word 'Flush' when people are talking about auto gearbox fluid changes is referring usually to a setup where two pipes are connected, and a machine then pushes new fluid thro' the gearbox while it is running in order to flush nigh on all old fluid out, replacing with visibly new and clean.
Technically it's not a flush as I think the above post is referring to ( as in engine flushing.. in between an oil change).

The gearbox fluid change machine does just that, but has been termed 'flushing', and may well paint the wrong image if someone reads thro' posts.
Only ATF is put into the gearbox, not any other liquid in order to clean deposits.

The thought behind this is to replace as much fluid as possible in ine sitting, rather than intermediate changes where only some fluid is replaced. Not all fluid can be emptied from the Trans in one change. It simply does not all flow out as it is still left in the TC and other galleries.
 2011 MY D4 HSE
Previously 2001 D2 TD5, 1996 D1 300Tdi, 1985 90 2.2 petrol.
Bikes! KTM, BMW, British, Classics and others.

Post #210272230th Nov 2019 1:35 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Keefaaa wrote:

My advice is to sample your oil now. Replace and change the filter. Sample the new oil. Sample again at your next service. Continue to do so and change on condition.

"Your advice" as stated above is exactly what is practiced and promulgated on this forum and elsewhere with the exception of lab testing.

You don't lab test your engine oil if it needs to be changed, you just go and change it along with the filter. As Bardley points out this is what is meant by "flushing," and far from being "spurious information" as you claim, it is the recommended practice of the transmission manufacturer.
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #210272930th Nov 2019 3:23 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >