DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Engine will not start CKP sensor?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Superlegi

Germany 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3
Engine will not start CKP sensor?

Hello,
my second post and I start directly with a difficult topic.
I have some time ago removed my engine because some of the glow plugs are broke during removal, on the occasion I have also replaced a lot of things, including the trigger wheel and the crankshaft position sensor.
Meanwhile, the engine is reinstalled, but he does not want to start, now and then he wants to ignite but not start. I have installed the trigger wheel with the special tool, but the sensor I have not renewed.

The IID tool shows the following errors
P140A-00 (25) Exhaust gas recirculation sensor C
P0335-00 (64) Crankshaft position sensor A circuit
P0336-00 (64) Crankshaft position sensor A circuit range/performance
P138E-00 (24) Turbocharger boost control position sensor A -minimum/maximum stop performance

Does anyone have any ideas before I remove the transmission to get to the crappy sensor.
I read in the manual that you must do an adaptation if you change any parts (trigger wheel or sensor), if so, how do I do this.

CKP Sensor:
The characteristics of the signal supplied by the CKP sensor are learned by the ECM. This enables the ECM to set an
adaption and support the engine misfire detection function. Due to the small variation between different flywheels and
different CKP sensors, the adaption must be reset if either component is renewed or removed and refitted. It is also
necessary to reset the flywheel adaption if the ECM is renewed or replaced. The ECM supports four flywheel adaptions
for the CKP sensor. Each adaption relates to a specific engine speed range. The engine speed ranges are detailed in the
table below:

I think the last error may have something to do with the new turbocharger, here I had changed the actuator, adaptation is also required here?

Cheers Markus

Post #228124028th Feb 2022 4:52 pm
Naki Blake

New Zealand 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

Hi Markus

I'm interested in your thread as I have an intermittent starting issue with my D3. It is very random, I can go months of trouble free starting then have a crank but no start problem. I am considering replacing my CKP sensor. I did not realise that if I replace it, I would need to reset the adaption.

How do you do an adaption reset. Is this done by disconnecting the battery cables waiting ten minutes then touching them together - A hard reset?

In the IID BT menu under Service Test, there is a Vehicle Reset option Is that the same thing?

Can someone please clarify.

Thanks
Blake

Post #22818304th Mar 2022 5:29 am
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Re: Engine will not start CKP sensor?

Superlegi wrote:
Hello,
my second post and I start directly with a difficult topic.
I have some time ago removed my engine because some of the glow plugs are broke during removal, on the occasion I have also replaced a lot of things, including the trigger wheel and the crankshaft position sensor.
Meanwhile, the engine is reinstalled, but he does not want to start, now and then he wants to ignite but not start. I have installed the trigger wheel with the special tool, but the sensor I have not renewed.

The IID tool shows the following errors
P140A-00 (25) Exhaust gas recirculation sensor C
P0335-00 (64) Crankshaft position sensor A circuit
P0336-00 (64) Crankshaft position sensor A circuit range/performance
P138E-00 (24) Turbocharger boost control position sensor A -minimum/maximum stop performance

Does anyone have any ideas before I remove the transmission to get to the crappy sensor.
I read in the manual that you must do an adaptation if you change any parts (trigger wheel or sensor), if so, how do I do this.

CKP Sensor:
The characteristics of the signal supplied by the CKP sensor are learned by the ECM. This enables the ECM to set an
adaption and support the engine misfire detection function. Due to the small variation between different flywheels and
different CKP sensors, the adaption must be reset if either component is renewed or removed and refitted. It is also
necessary to reset the flywheel adaption if the ECM is renewed or replaced. The ECM supports four flywheel adaptions
for the CKP sensor. Each adaption relates to a specific engine speed range. The engine speed ranges are detailed in the
table below:

I think the last error may have something to do with the new turbocharger, here I had changed the actuator, adaptation is also required here?

Cheers Markus

P0335 and P0336 indicate there is an issue with either the plug on the sensor, or the wiring. It could also be the air gap which should be between 0.4 and 1.5 mm and this is critical! What manual are you reading??

The PCM has adaptive capabilities built in and so once the car is running it should create a new map for the CKP accordingly. If you have a GAP IID you should be able to force the adaptations as yours is a EU3 protocol vehicle. I don't think this was available on the later EU4 vehicles, in any case it's not necessary for either.

Check your wiring/plug and go from there. Then lubricate the rod on the turbo actuator and it should sort out P138E. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #22818444th Mar 2022 10:38 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >