Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Audio, Parking, Instrument, Body Ctrl > Multi system failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
samnt650

United States 2007 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3
Audio, Parking, Instrument, Body Ctrl > Multi system failure

2007 D3 US Model 160k miles. Truck has been relatively reliable until this very moment. This is my first LR Gremlin and they happened at once...

External Temp Display > Disappear from the dash
Hazard Light > blinking and I cannot shut it down with the hazard light switch. Directional switch not work, when the hazard blinks on its own
Door lock switch > Cannot lock / unlock door
Climate Control > It would flash on and off, as if there's total power cut. When its off, all light are gone. the Climate Ctrl would not turn on pressing Auto or turn the fan speed dial. When light on, the Climate Ctrl started working but not sustain.
Ignition Key > cannot start the truck
Brake Light on Dash > Red and flashing. The emergency brake was not engaged.
GAP Voltage Readout > 13.5v idle. 13.5v @2000rpm (original Alternator)

GAP Tool captures these error
Vehicle Dynamic
> U0155-87 (2B) LCD Gauage Communication Lost - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message

Body Control
> U0155-87 (2C) LCD Gauage Communication Lost - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
> U0155-87 (2E) LCD Gauage Communication Lost - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
> U0164-87 (28) Lost Communication with heating ventilation & air conditioning control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message
> U0164-87 (2E) Lost Communication with heating ventilation & air conditioning control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message

Instrument Pack
> U0164-87 (27) Lost Communication with heating ventilation & air conditioning control module - Bus signal/message failure - missing a message

Engine Control
> U0167-00 (28) Lost Communication with vehicle immobilizer control module

Already DONE / Checked
(1) There was a sunroof leak to Left Front Seat Floor (US, Driver Seat). Fixed the leak. Water was clean and clear. No rust found. Now the area is dried
(2) Truck has brand new battery (replaced as precaution, since the truck is hyper sensitive to battery condition) Previous battery was 3 yr old.
(3) I have brand new factory key, and that also had trouble starting the truck (immobilizer problem I presume. I have the same with my daily use key)
(4) Rear brake system was rebuilt last year with all new parts (module was not replaced, the e-brake motor works fine.)
(5) Replacing the brake light switch is next step (doesn't hurt trying...)

QUESTIONS
(A) Suggestion on anything I should try?
(B) Anyone had similar problem with their D3s?

Last edited by samnt650 on 17th Aug 2020 1:21 pm. Edited 2 times in total 
Post #216815417th Aug 2020 2:57 am
Mole734

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly but that seems like a CANBUS failure to me as multiple systems have been taken offline simultaneously.

As you mentioned a sunroof leak, have you checked the channel in the floor to the outside of the drivers seat that the wiring loom runs in? Could be worth doing...

Maybe have a look at this as well https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic110716.html

Post #216819117th Aug 2020 9:47 am
samnt650

@Mole734 - forgot to mention in the post (now updated) My voltage is reading 13.5v Wonder if that could be a cause? Still OEM alternator

Post #216821717th Aug 2020 1:21 pm
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Re: Audio, Parking, Instrument, Body Ctrl > Multi system failure

samnt650 wrote:

There was a sunroof leak to Left Front Seat Floor (US, Driver Seat). Fixed the leak. Water was clean and clear. No rust found. Now the area is dried

when?? how long ago?
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #216822217th Aug 2020 1:39 pm
samnt650

@Motolab - The sun roof leak took me a yrs to fix. It wasn't the typical bottom soft rubber rodding. Turned out I had a crack with the roof drip tray. I kept the floor as dry as possible when rain. I could count a hand full number of time I opened the sun-roof (One owner Truck..)

Post #216822617th Aug 2020 1:58 pm
Mole734

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

From the codes you posted I would say voltage would be low down the list of suspects, the CANBUS is a network between all the modules and if something is breaking or grounding out the network then nothing can communicate across it, hence all the failures and communication error codes. (that's how I read it anyway, in fact there are several canbus networks so you'd need to isolate which one is causing the problem ) There is a known issue with certain wiring splices in the wiring loom some of which live in the channels beside the seat I mentioned earlier

The workshop manual and wiring diagrams are here https://www.disco3.co.uk/wiki/Discovery_3_...air_Manual

Good luck!

Post #216823117th Aug 2020 2:04 pm
samnt650

Just drove/park the truck onto car ramp. All of sudden, everything back working! Only thing I did differently was resting (access height) then raising the suspension to full height.

Post #216826017th Aug 2020 3:43 pm
Motolab

samnt650 wrote:
@Motolab - The sun roof leak took me a yrs to fix.

Hi, what i meant: how long ago, did you solve it.... when was the most recent water ingress?

CAN relies on various resistance "on the line" so each unit attached to it, has a different resistance, so "it" (The CAN system) reads analomies or variations on the line.... if... there is for intance oxidation... the resistance changes, so the function of a unit or units (can) change or stop working all together...

as i see more than 13, 4 V current, looking and suspecting the possible "water damaged" parts, like wires and plugs would be my first investigation... just to rule them out... but since they have seen (some) water for a year.....
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #216826217th Aug 2020 3:49 pm
Motolab

samnt650 wrote:
Just drove/park the truck onto car ramp. All of sudden, everything back working! Only thing I did differently was resting (access height) then raising the suspension to full height.

have a look, at the connectors on the left front wheel arch, behind the covering....
check for oxidation at he connectors, wire damage, etc..
 Best regards
Harold

Post #216826317th Aug 2020 3:52 pm
samnt650

Why I parked the truck on the ramp. going to pull all the wires under driver seat (Left Front, US Model) for reinspection as starting point.

(That roof leak was PITA to resolve. Leak at the most unusual place...)

Give me another chance to apply electrical grease on other connectors I'll be pulling for inspection

Post #216826517th Aug 2020 3:58 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >