Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Thule kayak bars and Thule bike carriers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Kirky36

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Siberian SilverDiscovery 3

Hi, I'm looking to invest in a sea kayak to carry on the roof of the disco along with 4 Thule bike carriers for holidaying purposes, just wondering if anyone knows if this would be possible to all be carried safely and correctly on the disco roof ? I would invest in proper Thule roof bars (th830) for the kayak and I already have the correct Thule feet and Thule aero bars fitted for the Thule bike carriers, also have lr fitted extra long roof rails, I have a panaramic roof on the disco but I don't think this makes any difference, there would be 2 adult bikes and 2 children's bikes, many thanks

Post #166620512th Jun 2016 1:53 am
chopcat

Wales 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

I doubt you will get 4 bike racks on with the kayak horizontal. I can get my hobie on with 2 bikes. So for more bikes i ue a tow ball mounted rack.

You can get wider roof bars that might help or put the kayak on with a post so it is vertical as opposed to the horizontal Thule mounts
TC
 may the odds be ever in your favor  
Post #166621712th Jun 2016 7:16 am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I'm not sure that you'd get four bikes and the kayak vertical either. I carry four bikes and there's not much room left afterwards.

Click image to enlarge

As you've already got the bike setup, it'd be worth measuring it up before buying additional kit.
 Darren

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia

My new D4 Build Thread
My old D3 Build Thread 

Post #166628512th Jun 2016 10:37 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

There won't be room for 4 bikes and a sea kayak on your roof. Here's mine with the standard LR bars (quite a bit narrower, granted):

Click image to enlarge

We have a NAS 2" hitch receiver mounted bike rack which carries 4 bikes, no problem. I've had four bikes on the back and two kayaks on the roof before now and was absolutely fine.

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #166629412th Jun 2016 11:19 am
muddywheels4wd

England 

I would be surprised if you can get a kayak and 4 bikes on Shocked

I've had 3 kayaks on a FL2 which is smaller but not sea kayaks

Click image to enlarge

Managed 4 on RRS which is size of Disco

You're best bet would be towbar mounted carrier unless you're towing Confused
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 

Post #166630312th Jun 2016 11:36 am
Kirky36

Thanks for the input on the roof situation with the bikes and kayak, would be towing a caravan aswell so measuring up first would be a good idea cheers

Post #166636512th Jun 2016 2:28 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

I had similar issue and didn't want to put bikes in van - ended up kayaks on RRS towing van and swmbo following in her FL1 carrying bikes - expensive solution though Laughing

Only did it once but was going to look at caravan bike rack next time for 2 and 2on roof with upright kayak bar for 2 Confused
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #166637412th Jun 2016 2:55 pm
Kirky36

Thule kayak bars

Have any of you used proper Thule kayak carriers on your disco 3 and if so which one did you use please? , I know there is different ones but just trying to get a feel of things before a potential investment. If you have any measurement for the carriers that would be greatly appreciated and any pros or cons of certain ones many thanks edd

Post #166641812th Jun 2016 5:32 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

If I'm carrying 1 or 2 I don't bother with carrier and just fasten upside down with straps

Click image to enlarge

If I want more on I use the Thule upright bar type and with that I can carry 3-4 stood on side

Click image to enlarge

I don't have sea kayaks yet though or need to fasten to bumpers

Post #166647012th Jun 2016 8:02 pm
Woolmeister

Ukraine 

If you're talking about getting a proper sea kayak then you're looking at a boat that is generally between 16' - 18' long.

If you also want to tow a caravan with a sea kayak on the roof then you need to make sure the overhang at the rear of the car is not going to interfere with the front of the caravan, especially when cornering, etc.

I don't have a Thule kayak carrier; They seem overpriced for what they are and I've read reports of their J bars becoming detached in high winds.

You also need to consider how you're going to get a sea kayak up there. Mine weighs close to 30kg although a composite one will be closer to 24-26kg.

I load my sea kayak from the rear of the D3 by resting the bow on the rearmost V and pushing the stern of the boat upwards and forwards at the same. I then drop the bow down onto the front V and strap it down. It sounds and looks scary but is actually a nice simple way of doing it without having to do much heavy lifting. It's also quite easy to get down single handedly since you just pull the boat backwards on the Vs until gravity takes over and allows the stern to lower to the ground before lifting the rest of the boat off.

If you're looking for the ultimate kayak loader, then take a look at the Kari-tek range:

http://www.karitek.co.uk/shop/roof-racks-r...acks-rails

Thule also now do this one:

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/sport-rack/kaya...8-_-898000

Which looks to work in a very similar principal to the Kari-Tek ones.

I attach the bow of my kayak to the front towing eye when taking it any sort of distance. Only takes a minute to tie it down. Would not want to hit a sea kayak at 70mph on the motorway. Shocked

Steve
 2021 BMW iX3 Premier Edition in Carbon Black ⚡️🔌
2019 Škoda Kodiaq 2.0 Tdi 190 DSG Sportline in Quartz Grey. Excellent vehicle. Gone.
2017 Discovery Sport HSE Auto in Carpathian Grey and Ebony Leather. Modern JLR Junk. Gone.
2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual in Zermatt Silver with Ebony Cloth (143k) Gone, but now patrolling the Asia section of the West Midlands Safari Park! 

Post #166648112th Jun 2016 8:19 pm
Kirky36

Kayak carriers

That was helpful thanks, gives me a few more things to consider before a purchase,

Post #166658312th Jun 2016 11:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >