Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

O/S Front wheel bearing replacement leading to failure of CV
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
NDM 56

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
O/S Front wheel bearing replacement leading to failure of CV

I have just had the offside front wheel bearing assembly replaced on my 2007 discovery 3 which I have had from new and has only done 48,000 miles. 2 days later car lost drive and I had to get it recovered to the dealer who did the work.

They say that prop shaft had moved leading to CV joint shattering and propshaft is damaged beyond repair. They claim that they cannot find the circlips that holds the ? in place in the gaiter so they can't have been fitted from new and that is why the propshaft has moved ( after 9 years and 48,000 miles?) So claim it is not connected to the wheel bearing replacement.

I am a layman here but clearly suspect that they have done something or not done something they should have when they replaced the wheel bearings that has caused this-would somebody be good enough to explain why as I suspect the replacing of the wheel bearings has caused this?

Many thanks

Post #16643967th Jun 2016 7:12 pm
Admirable

Ukraine 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Wheel bearing failure on 07 D3's are common. Did they fit a new bearing or a complete new hub..........and it is possible the circlip was missing from new but very rare.

Post #16644017th Jun 2016 7:19 pm
NDM 56

They fitted a new assembly. But I find it difficult to believe the car has been driven around for 9 years and 48000 miles and the missing circlips not caused the problem before? Is there anything in the process of replacing the wheel bearing assembly that would have caused the problem? Is the gaiter and circlips removed to fit the new wheel beraing assembly?

Post #16644787th Jun 2016 10:03 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

If it was a or dealer get hold of lrcs

Post #16644867th Jun 2016 10:26 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Leesbay

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Just done both front wheel bearings with new assemblies
Drive shafts only pushed back half inch to remove and replace hubs
Dont see how the problem is connected to prop shaft failure?
If you mean drive shaft failure, then possibly when replacing the hubs the drive shaft was damaged upon hub removal or drive shaft nut not torqued properly leaving play to cause damage which then damaged prop shaft
 ....................................................................................................

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what she thinks I paid for them, you lot are gonna get some bargains! 

Post #16645027th Jun 2016 11:12 pm
NDM 56

Dealer is longstanding independent not Franchise.

Yes sorry I meant driveshaft not propshaft. It is the driveshaft and CV joint that is now U/S.

Post #16645087th Jun 2016 11:35 pm
Leesbay

Possibly the drive shaft splines were stuck/rusted into the hub bearing so they whacked it out, possibly using a bit too much oomph, causing damage to the shaft and cv joints?
Proving it may be another matter though!
 ....................................................................................................

If my wife ever sells my stuff for what she thinks I paid for them, you lot are gonna get some bargains! 

Post #16645107th Jun 2016 11:38 pm
NDM 56

Thanks for the feedback.

It sounds as though mechanic has used too much brute force when trying to get the driveshaft off the bearing assembly. They are saying that they can't find the circlips in the gaiter and suggesting that they were never there from new. If they have been trying to knock the driveshaft out could this break the circlips?

Post #16646428th Jun 2016 12:30 pm
Leesbay

A distinct possibility

Post #16646568th Jun 2016 1:11 pm
NDM 56

Would the mechanic have known or should he have none that after using excessive force to remove the drive shaft from the bearing assembly that he had damaged the CV joint or is it hidden in the gaiter? Could he have carried out any checks to see if there was damage?
I will feel slightly better if it is just one of those things rather than a mechanic has done a job could have checked for further damage and just ignored it.

Post #16646858th Jun 2016 2:58 pm
Leesbay

I've I've half a dozen Hub bearings some have been more stuck than others, it wouldn't be noticeable until driving if damage had been caused as the shift is generally pushed pack just enough to remove from Spain of the hub
Damage could have been caused by excessive force pushing the drives haft out, or when it was free it could have been bent/pushed out of the way to an too extreme angle causing damage

I would have thought thought it was OK on the way to the job, and wasn't shortly after the job, then the damage was likely caused by doing the job, unless a slim chance of natural coincidence crept in

Post #16646888th Jun 2016 3:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >