Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

D4 - one owner but sold twice?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Darbs

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
D4 - one owner but sold twice?

I have been browsing for a good D4 for some time, but am finally close to getting one.

I was originally only searching at main dealers, but I have recently been to see a couple of 2012 cars that were in very poor condition, so am accepting that buying from a main dealer is not a guarantee. Hence I widened my search to Independents and I would then pay to extend the warranty to 2 years to match the 'Land Rover Used' approach.

I have found a 61 plate 8-speed D4 with 40500 miles (Registration FG61HJX) at an independent dealer in Bristol advertised as one owner. I rang up yesterday, the guy was helpful and confirmed it was a one owner car.

However I did a number plate search today on Google and the same car was for sale at an Independent dealer near Newbury over the winter with 37,000 miles on the clock. It then appears again in mid March at an auction in Westbury, which I guess is where the current dealer got it from.

So my question is, how can it be one owner, if it was sold recently and obviously driven as the mileage increased? (I am only asking in case I am missing something obvious!). Plus if I am spending over £30k I want to be comfortable with what I am buying.

I am going to ring the Newbury dealer today to see if he can shed any light on it.

Post #16362125th Apr 2016 8:57 am
Windy Corner

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Hi,

Sounds like it may have been PX'ed in Newbury at 37,000, then kept in the "Trade" as perhaps the owners runaround or Courtesy car and then sent off to Auction 3,000 miles / 3 months later at Westbury ?

So technically one proper owner, the rest in the trade which doesn't count as a proper "Owner" i.e. the V5 never updated

Rik
 Discovery 4 HSE SDV6 Baltic Blue
Discovery 3 S TDV6 Zambezi Silver - Now gone........
Leicestershire & Rutland 4x4 Response 

Post #16362225th Apr 2016 9:06 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Genuine dealers don't have to notify change of ownership same as private owners they can do it en-block over a period of time, they can also legally run on trade number plates, do a genuine HPI check before parting with cash, it could have been in an accident in the "blank" period.
You shouldn't have these problems going to a main dealer and there is no warranty as good as the one LR are offering at the moment, I know someone who has just bought a two year old D4 and the dealer has added the 2 year offer warranty that is available at the moment onto the 1 year that is left over from the new warranty giving 3 years on a two year old car Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #16362325th Apr 2016 9:19 am
jonno1

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

He has done particularly well then because the deal is for a 2 year warranty. In other words whatever is left on the new vehicle warranty is topped up to 2 years. This additional warranty is supplied by the people who provide the Landrover Extended Warranty scheme.

Post #16362655th Apr 2016 10:59 am
Darbs

M3DPO wrote:

You shouldn't have these problems going to a main dealer and there is no warranty as good as the one LR are offering at the moment

Yes, I agree with that, but my original view of buying from a main dealer have been tainted now. I have recently seen two 2012 D4's that were top book price but really tatty, one of which I am convinced was an ex-LRE car.

Another dealer had exactly the car I was after, I popped in to be told it was being prepared, the guy took my details as I was ready to buy with cash, he assured me he'd call when it was ready, I never heard from him and the vehicle still for sale.

I am really struggling to part with over £30k at a dealer who couldn't give a hoot. (This is also taking into account the other threads on here about 'dealers thinking we are dense' and ex-LRE cars from dealers.)

Post #16362865th Apr 2016 12:00 pm
VVS210

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Simple answer - ask to see the V5 if you are concerned the car is ex-LRE, the dealer should have it.

A friend of mine bought a FL2 SD4 from a local LR dealer a couple of years back, he was told it was an ex-LR management car - it was less than a year old and had all the bells & whistles on. He did the deal, fortunately with a paper trail saying it was based on the car being ex-LR management (he's a canny north eastern lad) but when the new V5 arrived it showed the car had been registered to a hire car firm not to LR. He queried this and was told it was 'just a name' but when he dug a bit deeper he found the car was a loan car and hence would have been driven by customers whilst their car was in for warranty etc. and was not the company car of a LR employee which was what it was described as.

He went back to the dealer and told him he was rejecting the car and wanted a replacement of the same spec and for the same money - he must have got them really worried as he ended up with a brand new SD4 with the same spec for the money he had given them for a used one!

Back to the original point, it's very sound advice to spend £20 on a full HPI check too - get the VIN number to put into this check too if you can.

Another trick is to look at the MOT history online, the car should have had an MOT every year since the 3rd year it was registered, so if there is a gap of anything more than a few weeks or month at best you have to ask why? could it have been off the road for repairs?
 D4 - Stornoway Grey
D2 V8 - Zambesi Silver (rust free JDM import 😎)
FL2 - Sd4 HSE
110 Td5 DCPU - Bonatti Grey - sold
FL2 Td4 - Zambesi Silver - sold
D2 Td5 - Epsom Green - sold
F1 Td4 - Giverney Green - sold
90 300 Tdi - White – sold BIG mistake should have kept it!
F1 Td4 - written off by a taxi!
D1 300 Tdi - written off by a Fiesta...
D1 200 Tdi - sold
90 Turbo Diesel - sold
Ser 2a SWB - sold and glad I 'got rid'
Ser 2 SWB - sold but wish I still had it! 

Post #16362925th Apr 2016 12:23 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

jonno1 wrote:
He has done particularly well then because the deal is for a 2 year warranty. In other words whatever is left on the new vehicle warranty is topped up to 2 years. This additional warranty is supplied by the people who provide the Landrover Extended Warranty scheme.

When I bought my 09 it was on top of the remaining warranty, not running parallel.
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #16363015th Apr 2016 12:45 pm
dlgis

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

You could phone Cullens the dealer who was selling it with 37k miles @ £33.5k and check but i suspect Rik is right, used by the proprietor for his own transport and stuck into auction after it didnt sell. 01488649000.
 D4 GS 12MY  
Post #16363545th Apr 2016 3:36 pm
Darbs

Windy Corner wrote:
Sounds like it may have been PX'ed in Newbury at 37,000, then kept in the "Trade" as perhaps the owners runaround or Courtesy car and then sent off to Auction 3,000 miles / 3 months later at Westbury ?

So technically one proper owner, the rest in the trade which doesn't count as a proper "Owner" i.e. the V5 never updated

Rik

Rik, dlgis... you are spot on.

I called Cullens, and what you predicted is correct! He was very helpful, described the car to me and said it was great, all was working fine when he had it and only recalls one very minor scratch on one of the doors. (Which compared the the D4 I saw at Stratstone in Cheltenham last the weekend makes it immaculate!)

It didn't sell so they sent it off to Westbury auctions, which is where the current dealer picked it up from.

I will probably have a mooch down to have a look at it and see what its like. Thanks for all your responses.

Post #16365205th Apr 2016 8:43 pm
dlgis

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 GS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Good luck Thumbs Up
 D4 GS 12MY  
Post #16365915th Apr 2016 10:04 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >