DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

Discovery 4 differences
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
andyrussell

United Kingdom 
Discovery 4 differences

Hi Guys
I'm sure this will be on the site somewhere so please re direct me....I am thinking of buying a late D3 or early D4...I know the engine and visual aspects are different but is the car technically improved at all vs D3 ?.

Are the componants different and located in different places to avoid the problems or is it likely to have the same problems as a D3 ?....a farmer friend had an 08 D3 and found water from air con or something similar had a pipe that dripped onto an ECU which corroded it.....maybe incorrect but I'm wondering who would design a car in this way and whether a D4 has a complete new approach to the problems caused by age.

Sorry if I'm talking like an idiot but several friends have had D3's and had a nightmare with the kind of problems I thought shouldn't really exist....sorry to slag of Discovery's...just to add to my abuse I will recieve...I own a Freelander 2 at the moment...lol...mind you, it does have a spring in each corner which gives very little problem but I DO want a great big TOY !!!

Post #163358031st Mar 2016 9:38 am
grizzlymac

Scotland 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Montalcino RedDiscovery 4

On my third discovery and had very little in the way of problems. First was an 04 plate I think, one of the first ones anyway and very minor problems. ERG stuck and then the adjusting rod on the turbo stuck, had sat six weeks without use so nothing to be surprised about all done on warrenty. 2nd was new and ran 4 years with no problems. Now on a new 4 with eight speed and pop up gear stick, don't like it but personal thing. Other than that touch wood very little of the reported problems and mine has to earn it's keep. off road, towing 3.5 t and working as a bus for the missus and her mates. That's between sitting for six weeks out of twelve when I'm away with little or no use.
Both the first two seemed a bit heavy on discs but then sitting for six weeks aint good.
Surround camera handy if going off road much and reversing handy if towing much as top of tow ball visible in picture.
I'd get an uncle ray wheel cover as some areas seem to have a few tea leafs that like your wheels and go for a full sized spare wheel model if you can find one. Electric seats are good as they have more adjustments than manual adj seats.
 Discovery 4 HSE Montalcino Red
locking rear diff
tow pack
privacy glass
Discovery 4 XS Marmiaris teal gone. 

Post #163366131st Mar 2016 1:06 pm
Pedros

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

The D3 is without doubt a fine vehicle. But the D4 is a leap forward. The engine is entirely different, the 3.0 twin turbo V6 is excellent. Instead of wishing the floors had holes in so you could run to make it go faster like many older Land Rovers, the D4 not only keeps up with modern traffic but will out-perform many.

Although body-wise they look similar, the amount of changes under the skin are legion. Parts are more robust and efficient. The posts that appeared in many forums about reliability issues with the D3 far outweigh those you might find about a D4. Of course they are a complicated beast and the more complications you have on your vehicle, the more things there are to go wrong. But they compare well against similarly complicated vehicles from other manufacturers.

I wouldn't put you off buying a D3, but if you can, the D4 is the way to go! A choice you won't regret.

Post #163400131st Mar 2016 10:43 pm
Dave T

England 

D4s do generally seem more robust and relatively trouble free. They will still need lots of TLC around brakes and suspension as you are looking at cars over 5 years old, but, having had both, definitely a D4. Thumbs Up
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #16340441st Apr 2016 7:03 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Red Merle

United Kingdom 

I don't know the specifics, but understand that there were a lot of successful changes to the location of the wiring loom components, due to problems with water ingress in the D3.
 2011 - 2015: 3 x FL2
2015 - 2017: 2 x D4
2017 to date: FFRR SDV8
2023 to date: 2 x FL2 as โ€œsecondโ€ cars ๐Ÿ™„

2021 to date: Hinckley built โ€˜14 Triumph Trophy 1200
2022 to date: Hinckley built โ€˜14 Triumph Trophy 1200 & sidecar!
(One of only two known to exist in the world!) 

Post #16340471st Apr 2016 7:08 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >