Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General (D4)

What to pay
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
bryce

United Kingdom 
What to pay

I'm looking to treat myself at some point in the near future to a Disco 4 Commercial. I am after one with a reasonable spec (leather. bluetooth, tow pack) but not after big alloys, skirts etc. Early 8 speed box so 11reg onwards I think and mileage 30-40k. I'd prefer to buy private (direct from VAT reg owner) so where should I be bidding for the above at a deal thats fair for both parties. They look to be low £20's +VAT from what I can see but is that way above trade in value.

Thanks

Post #160062227th Jan 2016 10:59 pm
LaserTam

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

Can't help on the going rate for a commercial, but re 8 speed, they came in on cars classed as MY12, which were manufactured from Autumn 2011. So not all 11 deg vehicles will be 8speed. Mine was registered Dec 11, but is 8 speed.
Good luck with your search.
 MY2012 D4 HSE Nara Bronze with some extra stuff  
Post #160077428th Jan 2016 11:00 am
Petej2811

United Kingdom 
I've wondered this...

I'm looking for my first Discovery and I think I might be able to afford brand new as opposed to used, provided the dealer was a bit keen to sell one.

I'd be after either an SE Tech or a Graphite and I think there's a lot going for the notion that there's a good deal to be had -

- the model is about to be replaced;
- it is in its last model year;
- this is well know. To the general public;
- there are a lot of special offers on the Discovery;
- finance contributions, free servicing; and
- a number of online brokers are advertising that they can get at least £3k off list.

I'm thinking there has to be scope to get a very tasty price. I'd like to buy from my local dealer, they've been great in helping me decide that I'd like a Disco at all. However, I'm prepared to scour the UK to get the best deal.

For a car that retails at £47,500 that brokers think can be had for £44,000, what's the thinking?

Is there any scope to get that down to £41,000-42,000? Has anyone managed it?

Post #160257631st Jan 2016 8:08 pm
markate

2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

I was told by one of your local Dealers in December that they'd sold their allocation up to March/April and that demand for the current Discovery remains strong. He wasn't trying to sell me one as I was picking up a 16 MY HSE.

You could try going back to your Dealer with a Broker price and see if he'll match it but I think you'd be lucky to get down to £41000 as every LR sold before it's built.

Post #160258731st Jan 2016 8:22 pm
Petej2811

United Kingdom 

Funnily enough, one of the broker prices is through Carwow (not a great name) and is with the local dealer. They must have to pay a middleman for those referrals, I wonder if there's mileage in cutting out the middleman? That must be a few quid in both our pockets.

I strongly suspect that you're right, however. The strong residuals mean there really isn't much in it between new and used, though. Bit frustrating to not be able to do it!

I was thinking of financing the car myself. I drive a BMW now, when I asked them for their settlement figure the conversation led to them telling me they could fund a new Disco at a better rate than the dealer (2% better). It all makes a difference.

That said, buying with Land Rover finance results in a deposit contribution of £2,000. If their rate was more competitive plus that contribution, that could get the deal over the line.

Has anyone ever had any joy in negotiating the rate for Land Rover finance down?

Post #160259231st Jan 2016 8:30 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

No. but check the detailof the escape clauses. My father bought a car on finance recently and was only tied in for the first three months, after which no penalties applied.
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #160259431st Jan 2016 8:33 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >