DISCO3.CO.UK > Camping, Caravanning and Holidays

Dixon Bate trailer
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Magnet6x6

Oman 2006 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3
Dixon Bate trailer

Gents and gentesses,

A while back I came into possession of a Dixon Bate 1973 25cwt trailer.

The config you see is the POs and its pants so its time to do some thing with it. I was wondering if any one here has come across one and in particular if one has been turned into a camper trailer.

It looks like a cracking bit of kit, in need of some TLC right enough, but I think its going to be the only answer for the kids and I to get back to the great outdoors as a family.

The local kennel, who train guard and attack dogs and who said over the phone "no need for introductions just drop them off" & "our very experienced handlers are more than capable of looking after a spirited pet" IOW we've forgotten more than you'll ever know about the subject pal, won't have my big fella, front left, back Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Shame really cos like me he really is just misunderstood Whistle

The "swanky" Sankey threads are truly inspirational but I don't have those skills so if there was some thing to get me going that was a bit more basic and based on this model that would be wonderful.
TIA
Olly
 If we weren't supposed to eat meat why did God make animals taste so good?

Prospeed XRS, traxide, Mitch Hitch, life is good. 

Post #144108111th Mar 2015 6:01 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

If you dont have the skill just get something made that will sit in the back they are a good trailer Thumbs Up
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #144112611th Mar 2015 7:18 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Magnet6x6

Rough idea

I had it in mind to keep it super simple by removing the mud guards, running a shelf along the bottom edge & placing a full length box / locker down each side over the wheel. Finally a lockable lid over the existing storage bed.

A combination of the following but only a stone deflector on the front
Click image to enlarge

Post #144125611th Mar 2015 10:43 pm
Magnet6x6

Well this is what it looks like, its a dinky little thing.

I dragged it back to my temporary quarters where it’ll stay until I move in a couple of months. Its pretty much the same volume as the D3 with the second and third row down packed to the level of the parcel shelf Thumbs Up

I hope to use the period in between to measure up, plan and ask you guys a ton of questions. In fact I’ve practically been living on the internet whilst researching the latest and greatest in off road trailers.

Its been very interesting and I’ve pretty much decided on what I’d like to end up with. The only thing that’s been unsuccessful is my search for more information on the beast. I emailed the manufacturer and subsequently the people that bought them out but no luck.

I think I’ve got my wish list sufficiently dialled in that its now time to work out how to actually do it. Remember I’m the guy with no skills.

I’ve been all over it and measured every thing imaginable but in the absence of a manual the only way to see how it was put together is to take it apart. So this morning I had two options, refurb the bbq or get stuck into the trailer. No prizes for guessing which one I went with.

Actually I spent a couple of hours yesterday giving it a good dose of WD40 type stuff and left it over night. This morning all but a dozen bolts came out so I cut the remaining offenders off with the angle grinder. Given how much grief the the good ones gave me I wish I’d cut them all off and saved a heap of time. That’s not as drastic as it sounds, given that it was built in the seventies every fastening was truely seized. On top of that every thing is imperial so it’ll be getting change in the long term any way.

Its really interesting to see how it was put together and I have to say that IMHO it was a decent trailer. The metal work is in good nick and the quality of things like the mudguards and fixtures is great. Its clever how with a very few folds and use of extrusion they created a really sturdy trailer. Is actually got me wondering what its made of because in the places where the paints missing, such as the inside of the mud guards, its basically shiny with a speckling of rust and its definitely original, no body makes stuff that well any more.

Once disassembled I did my best to weight the parts, must have been hilarious for any one watching trying to work with a set of bathroom scales.

I was surprised at how light it was. Obviously I’ve no clue about the chassis but, for example, the the tub is around 60kg, other than its awkward shape I was easily able to move it on its own. The list is as follows;

Tub 57kg 1.5mm
Extrusions on the tub 2mm
Tailgate 17kg
pair of mudguards 15kg

There’s also a pair of spare wheel carriers at 25kg but they’re later add ons, pants and destined for some other resting place. The PO fitted shocks but the angle is strange. Would they be effective like that?. He also fitted a Terflex kit to the springs. Not sure what it does but it looks good, lots of grease nipples and all Whistle

So about 100kg for the body work. I’m stunned, it seems so little for a vehicle with a 1200kg / 25cwt pay load. Ok the method wasn’t exactly scientific but it gives an idea.

The chassis is 75 x50 x 5mm and the top of the rail sits at 735mm from the ground
The rest of the specs are ;
Length inc drawbar 281.5cm
Length tub only external 198.5cm
Length tub only internal 183.0cm
A Frame to tub inc tow ring 83.0cm
Tow ring to axle 180.0cm
Pay load 1200kg
Leaf sprung square axle

The tub sides are only 430mm tall so, being that I need a lid for security, not deep enough to be useful for fridges & coolies etc and there’s no external storage.

Not sure about the track width because I’m not sure where the measurement is taken from. Perhaps some one could help me out with that. However it is considerably narrower than the D3

The shortlist was Metalian Maxi and Conqueror Conquest UEV345. Any how the style that caught my eye was the fabulous Horizon by Adventure Trailers. Every thing except the roof top tent, built in water, nose box & weight. They’re super people and happy for the home builder to draw from their efforts.

Its the side boxes that do it do it for me. Having a fold down semi instant kitchen is a must and the dimensions of the large cargo box / tub are in the ball park to. I’d also like to carry four jerries, one at each corner if possible but not on draw bar.

So what do you think? Is it doable? Obviously I think so but hey what do I know. My mud guards stick out 340mm I’m hoping that’s enough to work with. I can widen it higher up if necessary by going into the cargo area.

Other than that, the trailers totally off road and it’ll see a lot of sand so I hope to make the track match the D3. However I notice my draw bar and eye to axle lengths are a lot less than the norm. Will these be issues? At the moment the trailer is so agile and manoeuvrable its untrue. The back of the D3 never comes close to the trailer in the tightest reversing scenarios.

The first major question that comes to my mind is “what’s the simplest way to increase the height of the tub by 300 to 400mm”? I’d like to use the original if feasible.

Looking forward to hearing from all you creative folks out there, please don’t be shy.

TIA

Post #147405815th May 2015 2:36 pm
biskit

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Great trailer! I like it Thumbs Up you've got the attention of Huncle Ray already, he is the man Bow down you could do with somebody like him for the alterations your going to do. Best of luck Thumbs Up and keep updates coming.
 Mantec sump guard.
Prospeed tree slider/steps.
Flack duel battery system.
18"Compomotive/AT3 tyres
Brembo 4pot front brakes 

Post #147406915th May 2015 3:00 pm
Partickpebbles

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 4

Love these trailers! So want one! Very Happy
 Black D4 December 2014
Side Steps
Oh and now I have a Labrador!
Previous cars (Recent to first!):
Nissan Navara
SAAB 9-3
Renaultsport Clio
Citroen C2 GT
Mercedes A Class
Volvo S40
Renault Clio 16v Williams Blue
Citroen Saxo VTR
Audi A3
Renault Clio 16V Black
Vauxhall Corsa SRI
Ford Fiesta 1.1 Popular Plus 

Post #147412615th May 2015 4:29 pm
Magnet6x6

Thanks guys Very Happy

Post #147413915th May 2015 5:03 pm
Magnet6x6

Teraflex suspension

Here are few shots of the Teraflex components.

Post #147442016th May 2015 7:08 am
Magnet6x6

My first questions

I've finally managed to get my head around the basics of sketchup, although in the process teddy ended up in the corner more than once and is now missing arms and legs Thud Banging Head

I've drawn several variations but the only differences between them all are the height of the side boxes and the height of the lid.

This is what I have in mind.
Click image to enlarge

Below you can see a piece of extrusion and a 50x50x5mm corner post.

Two pieces of extrusion are spaced at appx 500mm along each side and one in the front. The two rear corner posts are welded to the chassis, the two front corner posts and the extrusion are welded to the tub. The top of the tub has a 30mm folded lip. When its all bolted together it really is quite sturdy with zero flex in the tub.

What I would like to do is to raise the tub between 300mm & 400mm all round. When finished I'd like it to be strong enough to support the side boxes and a lid that can be walked on.

So my question are "Can this be done without adding a heavy frame?" and "If so how?"

TIA

Last edited by Magnet6x6 on 1st Jun 2015 6:42 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #14816461st Jun 2015 2:59 pm
RLD
Uncle Ray 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

good just think it what is right for you Thumbs Up
 Home of RLD Hidden winch mounts Spare wheel Locks Trailer Body Fabrication [email protected] D3/4 sump plates MY 14 sump plates and the Discovery Sport wheel protectors Discovery 5 wheel locks
more Helsport tents and other things for camping Law of Mechanical Repair:
"After your hands are coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch and you'll have to pee!" 

Post #14816951st Jun 2015 4:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Magnet6x6

Thanks RLD Thumbs Up

I'm pretty squared away with what I want to take and where every thing will fit. What I need a bit of guidance on relates to what materials to use and how best to put them together.

For example military aircraft are ali panels, folds and extrusion riveted together. Extremely tough and enduring but they're subject to frequent inspection and maintenance.

Currently the big questions that I have are;
"How do I mount the boxes to the tub so they don't tear off?".

"What are the best materials to make the boxes from?"

"Can I rivet the boxes together using ali angle or box and fit 1.2 - 2.0mm hand cut panels and get a decent product at the end of it?"

"Would a welded 25mm square steel box frame & welded steel panels be a better solution"

"Would 1.2mm - 2.0mm folded boxes be strong enough to be bolted to the tub with out tearing at the mounts and steel or ali?"

I know there are probably many variables that affect the final solution but at this point I'm just trying get a handle appropriate construction techniques & materials.

If left to my own devices my dinky light weight trailer will end up weighing more than the D3 and the boxes will fall off after a day on a graded track. Big Cry

Any advice however trivial will be most welcome, please have at it.

Post #14825813rd Jun 2015 10:42 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >