Sudden Engine Shut Down on the A303
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
MG
D3 Decade 

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Sudden Engine Shut Down on the A303

Hi All.

My wife and I drove to Somerset on Saturday morning to visit a relative, and about 6 miles from my destination the engine turned off as if I had taken the key out. We had traveled some 118 miles from home when this event took place.

We were travelling along the A303 at speed of about 50 mph and suddenly the engine stopped running and we had to immediately pull off the road. As luck would have it we were about 50 yards from a parking pull in point where I just managed to roll into. There were no warning lights or anything else to indicate what had happened - I did notice that both the speedo and rev-counter had gone back to zero.

This was an extremely sudden and very dangerous situation. If I had been on a motorway overtaking other vehicles at speed there may well have been a collision.

We tried to re-start the car but it would not fire up - it cranks normally. We called that AA out and the AA chap spent some considerable amount of time trying to get the engine to start. After a while he decided to tow the car to a service area where it was safer and less noisy than it was on the busy A303.

Once we were towed to the service area the AA chap then spent a further hour trying to get the engine to start, again the battery (being fairly new) was able to crank the engine time after time of him trying.

He had a OBD and laptop and could not see any fault codes. He did comment however, that he was getting RPM and fuel pressure readings even though the engine was off!!

He then put more diesel in as a colleague in the AA's technical support team did advise that Disco fuel gauges sometimes go faulty. This did not resolve the problem. He took the battery out and checked connectivity of the ECU and all was OK there (no signs of dampness etc). He re-installed the battery and once again it would not start - again battery cranking normally - really impressed by this Yuasa battery.

The AA man then basically had to give up. He certainly had done the very best he could, and I thanked him and he then organised a recovery vehicle. The recovery vehicle was arranged and we had a 2 hour wait. There was a Little Chef at this service stop and so we decided to get something to eat while we waited.

After 2 hours we went back to the car with the expectation of the recovery vehicle due imminently. So...I got back in the car and tried to start it and first turn of the key it started.....all seemed OK.

I did consider driving it home but was worried that the fault may return and that we would be stranded again. Just at that moment the recovery vehicle turned up and the car was driven onto the loader.

After a long journey home and discussions on various topics with Tom (very nice chap) our recovery vehicle driver, we arrived home - took some 3 hours but eventually we were home. I then drove the car onto our driveway.

I have been in touch with Land Rover Customer Support and they have suggested that I put the car into my local dealer for them to take a look at. The Land Rover chap (Leroy) who was very understanding and helpful, said he would monitor the progress of the investigation work with the dealer as a go-between to see what may have to be done to resolve the issue.

I have lost all confidence in the car and what would be a good result would be for the dealer to actually locate the fault, replace the part (if there is a part to replace) and restore my confidence.

We were planning a holiday to the south of France in the Disco (which we have done many times before), and I am nervous that the car will let me down again.

It was a harrowing experience to be travelling along at speed and then for no reason at all for the vehicle to effectively switch off the engine, putting the car and passengers at risk.

If there is anyone who has any idea what may have caused this, or indeed may have suffered a similar failure.

Regards,

MG.
 MG

HSE V6 Diesel
Buckingham Blue
Ebony Leather
Side Steps
Mini Fridge
Rosen A7 Roof-mount DVD player
Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
Removable Towbar and Elecs
Pure Highway DAB
Portable Fridge 

Post #145142931st Mar 2015 5:27 pm
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Pretty sure this has happened to a D3 on the A303 before.

Really need to see the fault codes with a LR-specific code reader, but brake switch and LP fuel system (eg filter) have to be on the list of contenders.

Thumbs Up
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #145143331st Mar 2015 5:41 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Happened to me on the M6 in sub zeros temps approaching Shap. Car shut down totally and I had to glide it into the side, dodging traffic. Wouldn't start til the RAC got there an hour later. I could swear the car was laughing at me. F Censored in dangerous and sold the car shortly after. Similarly dealer couldn't find a fault, pre "modern" diagnostics.

Post #145143831st Mar 2015 5:53 pm
Barn1e
D3 Decade 

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

just an idea - coukd it be caused by water ingress to the wiring connector below and behind the battery tray or a loose connection on the CJB. i vaguely recall posts on this but cannot find what i was looking for. i guess codes would have shown as lost connection.
 2005, TDV6 S, Auto, 190k miles, owned from new, V8 Brake Upgrade, Nancom Evo, RLD protector, BAS EGR blanking & Remap, separate ATF cooler, changing all the fluids ahead of time.  
Post #145155031st Mar 2015 8:49 pm
MG
D3 Decade 

The AA chap said there was only a U0401 code which I understand can be ignored.

MG.
 MG

HSE V6 Diesel
Buckingham Blue
Ebony Leather
Side Steps
Mini Fridge
Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
Pure Highway DAB
Portable Fridge 

Post #145162331st Mar 2015 11:28 pm
crazy

Italy 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

U0401 = Invalid data received from engine control module/powertrain control module
 Landy lover
Membro del Club 

Post #14517131st Apr 2015 9:33 am
MG
D3 Decade 

Hi Crazy

Yes I think U codes are ones that you don't need to worry about.

I took the car to Guy Salmon at Thames Ditton this morning and they will be starting work tomorrow - have been told they are inundated with lots of cars!! Hopefully just for their annual service.

It's always a worry when car service centres are very busy. It either means the product is popular and there are a lot out there, or it may mean that they have a lot of faults!! Sad
 MG

HSE V6 Diesel
Buckingham Blue
Ebony Leather
Side Steps
Mini Fridge
Parrot 3100 Bluetooth
Pure Highway DAB
Portable Fridge 

Post #14518711st Apr 2015 2:55 pm