Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

D2 GS TD5 , pros and cons , ( or just pros ) (or just cons)!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3
D2 GS TD5 , pros and cons , ( or just pros ) (or just cons)!

Ok wan't sure where to post this , so if in wrong section , my apologies Rolling Eyes

I am buying a D2 GS TD5 7 seat in the next few weeks . Finally sourced one at a reasonable price and relatively low mileage.The purpose is mainly for Mrs D to haul round a horsebox.School playschool run , tesco run , odd trip to town etc etc , light usage.My budget couldn't stretch to anything more Big Cry

Is there anything that I should be looking out for , problem/niggle wise before I part with my hard earned cash that maybe you lot may have experienced in your previous D2 incarnations.I know most here are loyal to the brand but would ask to give a true unbiased opinion on what I should look out for .

Spec is as follows : Autobox ,16 ``Alloys, 2 xSunroof, Metallic Paint, 4 xElectric Windows, Electric Mirrors,Remote Central Locking, Immobiliser, Drivers Air Bag, Passenger Air Bag, Air Conditioning, Radio-Cassette, Adjustable Steering Wheel, Rear Head Rests, Cruise Control, Front Fogs, Dual Zone Climate Control, Full Landrover Service History. 61 K miles.01 MY . One owner.NCT/DOE till June 09

The dealer has mentioned that one of the rear side " Bags " on the suspension is knackered ( air suspension ?).I have done a few searches and read that if one of the bags is gone then the other/s should be replaced . Depending on how long the bag was leaking could it also affected the life of the compressor ?The dealer was open about it and has booked it into a Land Rover dealer to rectify this and any other faults.
Timing belt ; should it have been replaced before 61 k , fuel pump near dead ? etc etc . ???

Any advice on the subject would be greatly appreciated guys>lashings of cyber beer to those that reply and if met in person then equal measures of real stuff also.Thanks in advance , Dwex Thumbs Up

Post #16982322nd Jun 2007 5:47 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bkehoe

Ireland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

The TD5 doesn't have a timing belt; it's chain driven, and doesn't need to be replaced.

Any problems revving over 3k RPM? Some (probably all) TD5s have a problem with oil running back to the ECU through the injector loom. This can cause misfires at higher rpms. It's not considered a serious problem, but it took LR a long time to sort it out. New injector loom is around €50 and the ECU connector needs cleaning out with electrical contact cleaner. Had this problem with my 2000 one, but I think it was fixed on 2002/2003 onwards ones, as my 04 one didn't have any hint of oil in the loom.

If you've test driven it, you'll know the auto is a bit slow - need to rev the engine a bit more than you'd expect to get the speedo to climb Wink

Does it have a sunroof? Make sure it doesn't leak!

Air suspension problems are quite common, and it isn't unusual for the air bags to leak as they age. The D2 does not have air suspension on the front, only the rear by the way. I personally wouldn't be too worried about the compressor, but maybe try to get the dealer to give you an extra few months warranty on it?

As it's a GS spec, and has rear air suspension, it probably doesn't have ACE. ACE is Active Cornering Enhancement and is a hydraulic system which stiffens the anti roll bars when cornering and also gives the suspension extra travel when offroading. It'll also lock the anti roll bars when on a sideslope, making the vehicle more stable. It makes a massive difference to handling on the road though, with almost no leaning in the bends. I would not have a D2 without it. If you haven't driven a D2 with ACE, then do, it's remarkable the difference. Most people I've spoken to that have gone from D2 to D3 ownership are of the opinion that a D2 with ACE corners better than the D3 does! Probably why LR fit a similar system to the RRS now. The dealer may try to fob you off and say that the air suspension compensates, but it doesn't. If I had a choice of having the air suspension or ACE, I'd go with the ACE equipped ones.
Only the higher spec, e.g. ES, possibly XS, came with ACE and SLS (air suspension) as standard. Typically the GS commercial or 5 seat came with ACE and the 7 seat had air suspension instead.

You won't get a 7 seat without air suspension by the way - 7 seaters were only available with air at the rear for self levelling purposes.

Don't think there's anything else, but I would recommend driving one with and without ACE so you can come to your own conclusions. Smile
 IE - 05 D3 TDV6 HSE - Zambezi Silver
SA - 07 VW Golf TDI - White - Sold! 

Post #16986922nd Jun 2007 7:40 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

I love my D2 GS 7 Very Happy My only gripes are that the turning circle is huge and there are 5 things in the back covered in foam that I honestly do not know what they are supposed to be Shocked
 Captain Nick Medhurst would ask:
"What is the first rule when overlanding?"

I would Reply:
"Duratrac" 

Post #16992622nd Jun 2007 10:25 pm
DG
Site Moderator 

Wales 

I had a GS with ACE for a few years ...it was VERY stable on the road ...but not as smooth as the D3 Wink
 21 year LR veteran > D2 GS 2003 > D3 S 2006 > D3 HSE 2009 > D4 HSE 2013 > D4 HSE 2015 > D5 HSE 2018 > DS HSE R-Dynamic P300e 2021  
Post #16993022nd Jun 2007 10:27 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

Off Topic How are your self fit parking sensors Dwex?

Back on topic - A BIG pro - I get 560 miles from a tank of Diesel (90 litres) Thumbs Up And that is all sorts of driving varying from short runs to motorways

I would Reply:
"Duratrac" 

Post #16994222nd Jun 2007 10:37 pm
bkehoe

DG wrote:
I had a GS with ACE for a few years ...it was VERY stable on the road ...but not as smooth as the D3 Wink

Definatly not as smooth as a D3, flatter in the corners though.
Drove a D2 without ACE though as a loaner one day and it felt as if it was going to topple over when going quickly around the bends. In fact the Jeep Commander I had in the US reminded me of it Wink.

560 miles, is that all? Laughing Got 660 once (in the manual d2) and could have got 700+ only for I chickened out thinking the fuel level sender had gone wrong! Wink You can expect 450 - 500 out of a tank in an auto D2 - that's right, the D3 auto gets more MPG than the D2!

Hmm, 5 things covered in foam? Confused

Post #16996222nd Jun 2007 10:59 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

bkehoe wrote:
Hmm, 5 things covered in foam? Confused

Yup, where the seats are supposed to be Laughing
They are acceptable especially if you will only be using them for ankle biters, get somebody tall in the front and an adult would not have a lot of space in the back. I do not use them anyway I just think that it would be useful to know and something to test out when Discowex looks at one

I would Reply:
"Duratrac" 

Post #16996522nd Jun 2007 11:09 pm
bkehoe

Didn't you know that if you want to put anyone in the back of a D2 that you must cut their legs off? You can put the hacksaws in the netting on the roof at the back! Smile

Post #16996722nd Jun 2007 11:16 pm
Dave

United Kingdom 

Handy!! Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

I would Reply:
"Duratrac" 

Post #16996922nd Jun 2007 11:23 pm
SPORTYBUS

Northern Ireland 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Discovery 2 Wanted ala this thread?

Anyone know if there is one of the D2's for sale? My mate is after one (Yes, I have tried convincing him to do the extra 4-5 grand for a 'real' Discovery in the 3! But his budget will only either by a top-of-range D2 04? Or Base/S D3 05??)
[His] wish list would be:

03/04
GS XS
Diesel
Oslo /Java or Tonga
7 seats
Auto
Alpacca Leather int.
ACE (On Bren's reccomendation)
Sat Nav - if poss?
<50K miles

Not mush of a wish list Rolling Eyes But there's nothing wrong with settling the bar high at the start?
 Est-ce que bonjour, vous aime ma nouvelle découverte brillante gentille trois, je pense qu'elle regarde les boules de chiens, pas vous ?  
Post #16998723rd Jun 2007 7:29 am
bkehoe

I wouldn't bother with the factory sat nav. No maps or anything. It's a very dated system by todays standards and you'd be better off just getting a Garmin or TomTom (you'd probably get one anyway rather than use the built in one!). I suspect D2 Metropolis editions had a better satnav unit on the roof, but I'm not sure.

Post #17000223rd Jun 2007 9:04 am
bkehoe

Does it have to be a TD5 Discowex?

Some high spec V8s going for next to nothing compared to similar TD5s.

For example, http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?f...rID=441077 (this is not an XS spec, its definatly ES, as XS only had half leather seats and this has full leather).

Last edited by bkehoe on 23rd Jun 2007 10:49 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #17001523rd Jun 2007 10:48 am
Slimer
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 
Re: Discovery 2 Wanted ala this thread?

VCZ 3 wrote:
....My mate is after one (Yes, I have tried convincing him to do the extra 4-5 grand for a 'real' Discovery in the 3! But his budget will only either by a top-of-range D2 04? Or Base/S D3 05??)....
how much is he looking to spend? The End  
Post #17001623rd Jun 2007 10:49 am
Wex

Ireland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

BKehoe

Quote:
Does it have to be a TD5 Discowex?

Fraid so Bren , I have my own diesel tank at home . I presume I would need to haul a petrol bowser behind the V8. Nice motor tho Smile Thanks for the tips on the ACE aswell , appreciate it & I'll make point of asking about the Oil/Injector Loom problem aswell . Thumbs Up

Quote:
Yup, where the seats are supposed to be
They are acceptable especially if you will only be using them for ankle biters, get somebody tall in the front and an adult would not have a lot of space in the back. I do not use them anyway I just think that it would be useful to know and something to test out when Discowex looks at one

Thanks Dave I'll check that one out.Tho the middle seats will be taken up with three kids carseats. Shocked

Quote:
How are your self fit parking sensors Dwex?

Doing great Dave . Only cost me € 20 new . Im trying something out with them at the mo and when/if I get a solution I'll post details . Whistle

Post #17036725th Jun 2007 7:42 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >