Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

One month in with a D3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Davetheframe

United Kingdom 
One month in with a D3

Not a lot I can contribute to this forum, for which I feel a bit guilty as I have learnt an awful lot. I haven't played with cars since 1999, so a bit out of my depth.

Anyway in an attempt to contribute something, this is a brief summary of D3 ownership to date:

1. Started off with a fault light as I collected the car. The guy i bought it off was a fair gent allowing me to hold back quite a lot of the price until it was fixed. I could see massive bills piling up, fortunately I discovered a local independant who replaced "something" on the Inlet manifold. total bill was £175.00ish, so not horrendous.

2. New set of shoes all round, wasn't happy with the level of road noise with the Grabbers fitted and they were pretty worn already. To my regret I used KwikFit at home, I say regret purely because I like to use Local Independants wherever I can. However, KwikFit did a cracking Job on my drive and were £150 cheaper than the local firm I usually use. It cost me a cup of tea, but a saving like that is too much to ignore. Now have Scorpions fitted, initially I found them to be noisey, but they have quietened down since with a bit of use.

3. I've used all seven seats on a couple of occasions and found the facility very handy. My only problem is where to stash everything for seven people once the boot has dissapeared.

4. I found the aux in socket, what a bloody stupid place to hide that.

5. I've connected my phone using bluetooth, whilst the system now works very well, it's a bit cackhanded to set up.

6. I managed to get a huge dog crate into the boot, if anybody wants to know the biggest dog crate size you can get into a D3, I'll get a tape measure out to it. We have a Wolfhound cross so size is important.

7. I've topped up the coolant, something I haven't had to do for years as all my more recent cars haven't needed it. Level hasn't gone down in a week, so fingers crossed.

8. This morning I changed a broken headlamp (suicidal pheasant), piece of proverbial. I have in the past had to pay to have bulbs changed, because I couldn't get anywhere near the bloody things without removing a radiator or something as equally stupid.

About 28 to the gallon, so not horrible, the wife's Subaru returned about the same. Pleasant to drive, although I still think it's noisey.

Upcoming issues, reckon I need new pads and probably discs as it's making a clattering noise when braking. I have a need to carry ladders occasionaly, mine only has the 3/4 roof rail, can you buy extenders or does the whole lot have to be replaced?

Already considering upgrading to a D4 sometime in the future, as I've driven the 3.0 in a Jag before and was mighty impressed.

In ignorance.

Dave

Post #140813515th Jan 2015 1:25 pm
Dave T

England 

Dave, if you do a search, you can pick up the aux wiring in the passenger side footwell and run a cable to where ever you want.

I carried a long ladder using just the roof rail you describe with roof bars.

Try Advanced Factors for brake bits (boringoldgit on here), very good prices and service.

You will love a D4!
 Joined the BMWX5 45e group
1994 Defender 90

2015 RRS Corris Grey/Black roof
2016 D4 Graphite Santorini Black
2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #140814215th Jan 2015 1:41 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Dave T

England 

http://www.disco4.com/forum/topic2972.html?highlight=aux+socket
1994 Defender 90

2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #140814615th Jan 2015 1:49 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Kirky

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Aux

Hello mate an AUX socket I have a 54 plate D3 which I love I've never found an AUX socket please could you share its location thanks Thumbs Up

Post #140820515th Jan 2015 4:06 pm
Dave T

England 

in the back of the centre arm rest, you should find the power socket under a flap and its beside that, otherwise use my link above and fit one yourself Thumbs Up
1994 Defender 90

2012 D4 XS Orkney Grey
2005 D3 S Maya Gold

Convoy for Heroes 2011 

Post #140823915th Jan 2015 4:50 pm
simon

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

There is also a pull out drinks holder at the very bottom.

Another hard to discover bit of handiness by LR that some may miss.

Post #140824415th Jan 2015 4:53 pm
Kirky

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Thanks a lot people Thumbs Up

Post #140825615th Jan 2015 5:09 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >