Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Front Diff ?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
millsd3

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3
Front Diff ?

Hi Folks - I've had my 2009 HSE 2.7 Auto for almost a year and love it. It came from a Toyota dealer with a 12 month warranty which is about to expire. I've had a few things fixed under warranty albeit with some argument but I still have a problem I'd like an opinion on. Mileage is 92k with a solid service history. I had a rumble/vibration when gently accelerating when the car hit 60mph, it would disappear when past about 63mph. Similar to driving over a rumble strip but a bit more subtle. LR diagnosed front bearings, both changed, no difference. Over time I could then feel the vibration at both 30 and 60mph. Back to LR who ran it on the ramp, wheels off and diagnosed transfer box. Much argument later the transfer box was replaced under warranty. At first it seemed problem solved but after about 10 miles the vibration reappeared. May be my mind playing tricks but seems worse if I'm changing lanes, slight L/H steer - also seems to come from around the passenger footwell area. It certainly seems better than with the old transfer box. So I'm guessing now front diff, maybe driveshafts or front prop. Haven't driven it as I don't want any consequential damage and have another car to use. I'd probably tackle the diff replacement myself - are there any checks that would prove one way or the other ? also best place to get new diff and sundries ? Any advice appreciated...... Dave

Post #14028917th Jan 2015 4:36 pm
Allan_T

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

This subject has been covered many times before, a simple search should answer your questions Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic122606....Front+diff

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/search.php?s...rch_time=0
 GAP IID Pro Multi Vehicle Defender L316 2007-2015 - Discovery 3 - Discovery 4 - Discovery Sport L550 - Freelander 2 - Range Rover Evoque L538 - Range Rover L322 - Range Rover L405 - Range Rover Sport L320 - Range Rover Sport L494
Electrical Fault Diagnostics

Post #14029117th Jan 2015 4:57 pm
Bigcat8810

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I've just been through almost exactly the same challenge with my 05 D3 and ended up having front diff and wheel bearings replaced but still had the same issue!

Geoff, the oracle of knowledge re all things Disco suggested checking the brake calipers. I used an infrared thermometer to check the temp after a run and front offside was always running hotter and the pad was wearing much faster than near side.

Now had caliper changed and the 'rumble strip' effect at 60-70 has gone so might be worth looking at that as cheaper than a diff!

Best of luck.
 ----------------------------------------
D3 TDV6 HSE Silver/Black
D3 TDV6 HSE Black/Tan (Gone)
RRS TDV8 Black/Black (Gone)
RRS TDV8 Stornaway (Gone)
RR Vogue TDV8 (Gone)
RRS 4.4V8 (Gone)
Defender 110 300tdi (Stolen, much missed)
RR Vogue V8 P38 (Gone)
LR 90 TD (Gone) 

Post #14029767th Jan 2015 6:03 pm
millsd3

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Thanks for that - I'll try to check the calipers at the weekend and let you know how I get on. It would make sense, particularly the symptoms reappearing after a few miles of driving. If it turns out to be a caliper then the money I'll have saved not replacing the diff should cover an upgrade to V8 disks (if I can get away with that logic) Whistle

Cheers - Dave

Post #14030467th Jan 2015 7:33 pm
Nodge68

England 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

I also have a slight rumble and vibration. I can feel the vibration through the steering wheel as a buzz. As an aid to diagnosis, I thought it prudent to check the oils in the diffs and gearbox. Front diff oil was brown with small metal flakes in it. The magnoplug was thick with fine iron filings close to the magnet with silvery flecks stuck on top.
The rear diff oil was light brown and milky. The magnoplug was covered in fine iron filings. Obviously water has got in somehow, going by the state of the oil.
My gearbox oil (manual box) was dead but showed nothing sinister.

My advice would be check the oils first before making a decision on what to replace. Wink
 Freelander SE 2005 Auto.
D3 TDV6. Gone. 

Post #14030907th Jan 2015 8:13 pm
Bigcat8810

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hope it works out, I also had new discs and pads on front as it seemed worth doing when the caliper was changed.
 ----------------------------------------
D3 TDV6 HSE Silver/Black
D3 TDV6 HSE Black/Tan (Gone)
RRS TDV8 Black/Black (Gone)
RRS TDV8 Stornaway (Gone)
RR Vogue TDV8 (Gone)
RRS 4.4V8 (Gone)
Defender 110 300tdi (Stolen, much missed)
RR Vogue V8 P38 (Gone)
LR 90 TD (Gone) 

Post #14034198th Jan 2015 10:54 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >