DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Disco 3 starting problem !!HELP!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
DiscoAus

Australia 2007 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
Disco 3 starting problem !!HELP!!

Gday all.

I have a 2007 petrol V6 SE Discovery 3 that will not start. . .

I have reason to believe it may be an immobiliser problem as the red 'alarm light' is blinking on the dash when I insert the key and also when i turn to accessories it's still blinking. When i turn the key one position further 'just before crank' the red light illuminates solid red then disappears. I then turn to crank and the engine turns over rapidly as it normally does but it doesn't fire...

Sometimes depending on what sequence i unlock the doors and insert the key the engine fires. . just once !! and then dies. it's like it fires and then cuts spark on me due to immobiliser ??

If anyone can advise they're opinion on this it would be greatly appreciated.

New battery , crank position sensor fitted at dealer in feb 2014.

Thanks in advance

Post #12919791st Jun 2014 2:57 pm
LittleG

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

If it were mine I'd probably start with a hard reset, check fuel flow(how old is the filter?) and spark plugs. Check the simple stuff first, spark leads, battery charge etc, if you haven't already Thumbs Up

Edit:

And if you've got a code reader check any stored codes Thumbs Up

Post #12920071st Jun 2014 4:44 pm
DiscoAus

I have performed a hard reset

I have plenty of fuel pressure to the injector rails

New ignition plugs, leads inspected

Checked battery and vehicle earth points

cleaned and inspected all engine control sensors

checked fuses in BJB and CJB

key fob is storing charge > functions > lock, unlock, follow me home lights on/off. Works perfectly

I offer the key into the ignition and it pings "key in ignition" i can give power to accessories (strangely the dvd player is frozen on eject disk screen) HOWEVER the blinking red light is still flashing away at me. . . sometimes constant one flash. . . . sometimes double flash .. .. .. i turn the key to next position> display on dash lights up and runs "system check" red light turns off ! I then turn to crank - instantly RED LIGHT FLASH while cranking - if you then relax the starter trigger it continues to crank - turning back to accesories to stop the starter cranking. . . . .

And there it sits. . . in the dark. . . red light Blinking.

This key did work and it's my only key.

i bought a piece of Censored elm327 obd2 dongle. it has since Censored itself but when it was reading my ecm it put out a code referring to key fob immobiliser program to ecm status.

I know theres alot of roads i can take to start eliminating the possibilities 1 by one but Can any of you guys see something obvious that i cant ?

i have managed to get through most Land Rover workshop pdf files that relate to my problem.

I am new to LR and also Automotive

Post #12920241st Jun 2014 5:25 pm
stephenw46

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

it seems like the transponder in the key is not being read thus the immobiliser staying on I am not 100% but I think only stealers can reprogram good luck

Post #12920921st Jun 2014 7:52 pm
kiwirich

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3
Which Path ?

I'd be starting with getting a code reader. An IID tool ( GAP Diagnostics)is the one I have & whilst it's not Bulletproof (idiot proof) it is excellent for nearly everything.

I recall that you can "Pair " new keys to the car with the latest version of the software.

If you don't want to travel down this path, it's off to there dealer ..........

I don't know if there are any near you.

Which ever path you choose, I'd be starting with having the codes read & diagnosed before any more parts replacement.

Let us know how you go

Richard
 HONI SOIT QUI MAL Y PENSE  
Post #12922032nd Jun 2014 8:39 am
DiscoAus

Hey guys, So i thought i'd just update you all on where i'm at with this problem..

I had a chat with the workshop fella, down at my local LR dealer. I made him aware of the recent Mechanical work i have performed, it took a bit for me to get his confidence - however after explaining my career in Piston engines, he understood that the car had been competently worked on.

He told me that he only ever changed oil a few times on a 4.0 V6 lr3 and stated that they we're rare out here in the outback. I forwarded my theory to him about the key/immobiliser/Red Light Blinking situation. He stated they "order vin specific keys direct from the UK" and then carry out a "Handshake" procedure using LR diagnostics. So i proposed to have my car brought in, to try out this "Handshake" procedure. He then went on to tell me That he was FULLY BOOKED - but at the same time was compassionate about my predicament, as any good old mechanic should be, and told me to go ahead and bring it in. (this was 5 days ago on saturday the 31st of May)

I Had my lr3 put on a flat bed, and taken down shortly before Lunch.... . . It was Sad to see it sitting on its Censored getting dragged off to the mechanic

Click image to enlarge

He was quite vague with information on what his Diagnostics system could actually perform, but he was confident that they could pair the key to the vehicle.

June in Central Australia is peak Tourist season, and is extremely busy with retired caravaners and off road adventurers passing through or staying in Alice Springs - Also 2 days from now, over the 'Queens Birthday' long weekend, Alice Springs is host to 'Finke Desert Race' one of Australia's Largest Off Road endurance races . THIS TYPE OF ACTION
V V V

So with all that in mind, i've been patient and gave him until yesterday (wednesday) before i gave him a call.

So far he has gone through and checked pretty much everything that i have checked - CJB fuses, BJB fuses, Earth points, Fuel pressure. He Told me that he'd cleared all showing fault codes - and his diagnostics told him that the car was accepting and recognising the key, showing crank speed, airflow, etc etc. . . no more blinking light with key in ignition (apparently). However the car is still a non starter as it was when i had it at my place.

Here is the series of events when he tries to start it - which are EXACTLY the same as when i had it.

1) Key in ignition > turn to accessories > turn to crank > Engine cranks and keeps cranking even with starter position trigger disengaged > Engine does not start. (occasionally fires once for a split second)

2) With No.1 spark plug lead off and a spare plug attached to check for spark > when turned to crank it sparks ONCE and ONCE only. it throws out 1 spark then nothing hence the results from event 1.

The ignition system is receiving 12 volts - but only seems to produce spark on the crank to start circuit and not the "run" circuit.. . this what i decipher as a potential cause of the problem after studying wiring diagrams.

things to consider. . .

1) the dealer couldn't tell me whether the cam sensor showed functionality with his diagnostics ?

2) Is the ignition switch potentially the cause of this ? (stuck on crank)

3) Could it possibly be that the timing has been incorrectly reset ?

4) Worse case scenario i'm guessing is the ECM could be fried ? (would like to avoid jumping to this conclusion)

If theres any guys here on the forum that are in the Know, and could please share advice for this situation, it would be greatly appreciated.

I have my Girlfriends parents up from interstate, for the long weekend. We will have to cancel most of our plans if the "Black Beauty" is out of order. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Joel.

Post #12937495th Jun 2014 12:21 pm
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Not yet familiar with the D3 petrol engines, as only just bought mine, but the symptoms you describe remind me of a similar type of problem I had with my D2 V8 i.e. duff crank shaft position sensor at the flywheel. When it failed the engine would crank but not fire and aside from the MIL limp being lit, everything else was normal. In the D2 there is no back-up strategy if this sensor gives up and a new one has to be fitted.

Having said that however, when the fault codes were read it did show a crank sensor error. Might be worth checking it out in any case.

Post #12937595th Jun 2014 12:58 pm
DiscoAus

Gday Alphamale .

Thanks for your advice ! However, as posted above, the crankshaft sensor was replaced in Feb 2014.

Along with that, the LR mechanic stated that he was receiving data from the Crank sensor via Diagnostics.

I dont specifically believe this is a 4.0 V6 categorised problem.

I'm leaning towards - Ignition Switch - Network - ECM ECU - earthing problem - cam sensor ?

Can anyone tell me possibly - if the cam sensor is dead. . . would i be getting that 1 spark as described ?

Could there be any reason to doubt the ignition system ground wires ?

Should my LR dealer mechanic be able to tell me via diagnostics whether the cam sensor is dead ?

Any one had an experience with ignition barrel and cranking trigger problems ?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Joel

Post #12937925th Jun 2014 2:09 pm
Alphamale

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Oops Missed that, would agree does sound like an ignition problem.

Post #12938605th Jun 2014 4:22 pm
TiaanS

South Africa 2006 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol S Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Joel

Could you get this sorted, My Disco 3 4l V6 is sitting with the exact problem since this morning?

Thanks
Tiaan
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STt7DmJeeVc  
Post #134059115th Sep 2014 7:36 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Looks like Joel joined with a problem and left the forum very quickly afterwards without providing an update as to the fix.

Annoying I know but it does happen.
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #134060415th Sep 2014 8:14 am
DiscoAus

Yeah i left the forum to find the answer Robbie mate !

Post a proper technical question = receive no replies

Post a question about tyres for the caravan = 8,000 replies

TiaanS, I believe your problem would be solved by replacing the cam sensor, Located L/H bank rocker cover. If the sensor doesn't effectively tx at engines No1 cylinder TDC position, she'll just crank over and over without firing (occasionally a slight cough/blip/die)

My problem was the in fact the Lobe itself on the camshaft, but i doubt you would have that exact problem. My engine suffered FOD

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Post #134429219th Sep 2014 2:05 pm
Discologist

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4

DiscoAus wrote:
Post a proper technical question = receive no replies

Post a question about tyres for the caravan = 8,000 replies

That's a bit harsh. The advice from several thousand miles away was to get the codes read and take it from there, which you did. However, it took a strip down to find the actual cause for a fault that sounds pretty unusual, so I can't see what else you were expecting over the web.

Post #134430819th Sep 2014 2:23 pm
DiscoAus

perhaps some advice from somebody who had personally logged some hours on these cologne v6 petrols Discologist.

The distance is irrelevant realistically. . .

On a lighter note if anyone has any questions regarding this model discovery 3 with petrol V6, and or questions regarding hitachi EAS compressor rebuild/EAS system maintenance, EPB system repair, I would be more than happy to shed light where possible.

p.s folks CHECK YOUR D3 ECU's FOR CORROSION. . . ALL OF THEM !!!

Post #134432319th Sep 2014 2:43 pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

To be fair, the vast majority of us over here have the TDV6 so you'll find more info on that. The petrol V6 was not even available over here, only the V8. Thumbs Up
 Current: Discovery 3 06MY (55 reg) HSE Auto Zambezi Silver Zambezi Silver Allisport Fast Road Intercooler, V8 Brakes, Silicone IC Hoses, EGRs Blanked, Remapped, De-Cat pipe, FBHIC
Freelander 2 2007 HSE Manual Tambora Flame
Previous: FL2 56 reg SE Manual Black (written off Sad )
Disco 3 06 reg B7S Manual Rimini Red Rimini Red
Disco 2 TD5 Y reg ES Manual Blue - Chipped Very Happy
Several Discovery 300 TDis

Post #134440219th Sep 2014 4:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >