Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Buying a car? Buying paint protection? A cautionary tale!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Dickbrowne

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4
Buying a car? Buying paint protection? A cautionary tale!

I make no apologies for double-posting this, as I feel it's worth pointing out to anybody who may have, or may be about to, purchase a paint protection system.

Recently I bought a used D4 and paid for a PureGuard treatment as a part of that deal - this isn't a thread to discuss wether PureGuard and it's ilk are worth the money, it's just to point out that, purely innocently, the dealership may not be giving you what you paid for, chances are they are, but it's worth knowing what can happen, so you may avoid the situation in which I found myself.

So, without further ado, a copy and paste from my dealer review thread:

<snip>

There's another issue, one which I am going to open a thread in the general section about as I feel it's worth bringing to the attention of all potential customers of all dealerships, and not just Land Rover ones, at that.

I bought the PureGuard package when I bought the car. When I collected it, I didn't think the protection had been applied and it was confirmed that it hadn't been applied correctly. I dropped the car in for remedial work, and requested that PureGuard be applied whilst the car was in the workshop, upon collection I was told that it hadn't been applied as I hadn't given them enough time (it was sat in the workshop for an entire day with nothing happening to it, so I dispute this). It went back last week for the transfer box seal to be replaced. I asked to collect the car myself after my short holiday so I could inspect the car. It was delivered back to my house, which was nice, but not what I requested. The email sent to confirm the delivery also confirmed that the PureGuard had been applied.

Imagine my dissapointment when I opened the door and found no tell-tale odour of application, no accesory pack and no guarantee paperwork. Further investigation eventually revealed the truth. If you pay for the full PureGuard package (as I did) then the paintwork is properly protected (let's leave out of the convversation wether you personally consider it worthwhile, if it works, is it worth the money etc), the interior is also protected and the pack and paperwork are left.

If, however, you negotiate the protection into your deal when buying the car, you get a lower-level of paint protection, and that's it. No more.

That's what I got - I do believe that the reason I didn't get the full package was entirely due to lack of communication between the workshop and sales, but had I not known what to expect, I would have accepted the job had been done properly and not investigated further - effectively paying for a service which I didn't receive.

I question how many people have paid for paint protection systems and only got a cursory application such as would be thrown in for free if negotiated for hard enough.

<snip>

There are far more positive than negative threads about paint protection, but I just thought it worth raising the point - if it saves one person from inadvertently (and I truly believe that the dealer I used made an innocent mistake here) not receiving that for which they paid.

Post #128740421st May 2014 3:53 pm
Discotres

Scotland 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 GS Manual Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Its called scamming you i.e. FRAUD

From what you say, no matter how much benefit of the doubt you give Stratsones, I will follow others on here and never go near them!! Even though they are a forum sponsor!

Its clear there is no leadership at the company or interest in putting things right, your definitely not the first and won't be the last. They don't seem fit to hold a Land Rover Dealership from what I read on this forum as so many people steer clear of them!

If it wasn't for the internet these types of companies would make up lame excuses and get away with stuff, but it builds up and you see the bigger picture, then you see the modus Operandi.

Post #128743921st May 2014 5:05 pm
Dickbrowne

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

I'm not entirely sure that's really the case - I do believe that there was miscommunication between sales and service, one of whom believed the other knew I'd bought the package, the other believing it was a freebie.

The point of this thread isn't to bash the dealer - there's another thread in the dealer review section where my feelings are made clear, but to reiterate - I have a real issue with their communications, and there have been several issues with the car, clearing up those issues did, on occasion, make me feel like the least important person in the chain.

Talk to the right person, if you can, and things are sorted and sorted quickly.

To make it perfectly clear, I believe that if all dealers operate a similar differentiation between paid-for paint protection, and something negotiated in as as freebie, there is an opportunity for confusion and a customer may not end up getting what was paid for. The reason for opening up this thread as a separate conversation to the other one is that this is a far more general point, and as such I didn't want it either hidden away in a less-accessed area of the forum, or mixed up in the reaction of other members to one or other dealer. I firmly believe that all dealers (and I'm not limiting that to LR dealers) are capable of just such a mix-up

Post #128755721st May 2014 8:21 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >