Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

MoT failure...3rd row seatbelt torn!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Peteski1

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
MoT failure...3rd row seatbelt torn!!

Had my MoT today, and the tester failed for a tear in my third row seatbelt!

I never use these seats, and to be honest since buying the car a while ago, I have been tempted in removing the seats altogether! The tear must have become unnoticed in the previous test a year ago, unless the garage sneakily go round with a penknife Rolling Eyes I never noticed it before Whistle

Here's my issue(s):

1) should I buy a replacement LR seatbelt from ebay for £43 and fit myself;

Or..

2) should I remove the third row seats?!

The test station confirmed I would have to remove the seats and the seatbelts for it to pass; should I not want to spend the money. They did want £120 to change the damaged belt (supply and labour)!

How true is this?! Surely removing the seats alone would be suffice as the MoT in any case is only theoretically valid for the time and day it was tested Wink No seats, no issue surely..

Otherwise, does anyone have any description to removing the trim and replacing the damaged belt...?!

Thank you kindly Smile
 Pete  
Post #12661257th Apr 2014 6:19 pm
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

It may have changed, but in the past, "disabling" the rear seats was enough. Some MDF screwed into the lashing points, that cover the rear seats, so they cannot be used was enough for a pass
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #12661287th Apr 2014 6:24 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

They are wrong saying you have to take the seats and belts out, if no seats are fitted then the belts are irrelevant if fitted. It says so in the MOT manual. My car is in for it's 5th MOT and has never had row 3 seats in there, belts tucked in the side boxes but still fitted at the top.

Taking them out though is a pain as they are heavy and flex in the middle, would be much easier to fit a new belt.

Post #12661347th Apr 2014 6:26 pm
NJSS

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Waitomo GreyDiscovery 4

I had an issue with a D2 some years ago.

I had removed seats 6 & 7 - but not their seatbelts, as I sometime refitted them when load space was not at a premium.

The MoT tester failed the car having the seatbelts but no seats. I was told that to pass I had to remove the seatbelts, or refit the seats !

Seats refitted, car passed the test, & I removed the seats on the garage forecourt as soon as I had the certificate.

NJSS
 Am I Gammon or Woke ? - I neither know nor care.

2016 Discovery 4 Landmark
2011 Mercedes Benz SL350 (R230)
1973 MG B GT V8 - 3.9L John Eales engine, 5 speed R380 gearbox, since 1975.
1959 MGA roadster - 1.9L Peter Burgess Engine - 5 speed gearbox
Past LRs - Multiple FFRs, Discos & a Series I - some petrol, some diesel,
none Electric or H2 fuel cell - yet.
There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those who don’t. 

Post #12661367th Apr 2014 6:28 pm
Peteski1

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Thanks chaps!

Maybe it depends on the tester....but then surely they all follow he same rule book?!

In my opinion, no seats should be no issues as the belts have no use...
I like the idea with the MDF as would make use to also fill in the gap!

Maybe I should ring around some MoT stations to get their opinions to see if this garage is just being awkward because I didn't want to fall into their £120 repair trap! After all they don't always like people who are handy and like to do their own repairs Wink
 Pete  
Post #12661427th Apr 2014 6:36 pm
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Here ya go:

Click image to enlarge

No seat fitted then it's a bit of fabric with fixings, not a seatbelt. Thumbs Up

Post #12661527th Apr 2014 6:52 pm
Grunders

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

For the price of £43 i'd fit the seat belt.....IMHO
 If it ain't broke... Take it apart anyway, how else you gonna find out how it works  
Post #12661597th Apr 2014 6:59 pm
Peteski1

DSL wrote:
Here ya go:

Click image to enlarge

No seat fitted then it's a bit of fabric with fixings, not a seatbelt. Thumbs Up

I like it Thumbs Up

Is that off an official website though? Don't want them making fun of me when I walk in proud waving that in their face haha Laughing

I've just been googling and can't find anything government related, I.e. on VOSAs website Neutral
In fact it's pretty useless as it only really states the legalities that you need an mot by law, but nothing in terms of rules, or list of what is tested!
 Pete  
Post #12661627th Apr 2014 7:08 pm
Peteski1

Grunders wrote:
For the price of £43 i'd fit the seat belt.....IMHO

It's not really the money I'm worried about, just don't want to spend it if I plan to remove the seats anyway.. Saves me having to do two jobs Wink

(Saying that...it'll need repairing eventually if I trade in for a newer Adriatic Blue )
 Pete  
Post #12661667th Apr 2014 7:16 pm
Fifth Horseman

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Ipanema SandDiscovery 4

Same info posted by DSL but from the gov.uk website http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s05000201.htm

Post #12664988th Apr 2014 12:13 pm
armalites

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: MoT failure...3rd row seatbelt torn!!

Peteski1 wrote:
Had my MoT today, and the tester failed for a tear in my third row seatbelt!

I never use these seats, and to be honest since buying the car a while ago, I have been tempted in removing the seats altogether! The tear must have become unnoticed in the previous test a year ago, unless the garage sneakily go round with a penknife Rolling Eyes I never noticed it before Whistle

Here's my issue(s):

1) should I buy a replacement LR seatbelt from ebay for £43 and fit myself;

Or..

2) should I remove the third row seats?!

The test station confirmed I would have to remove the seats and the seatbelts for it to pass; should I not want to spend the money. They did want £120 to change the damaged belt (supply and labour)!

How true is this?! Surely removing the seats alone would be suffice as the MoT in any case is only theoretically valid for the time and day it was tested Wink No seats, no issue surely..

Otherwise, does anyone have any description to removing the trim and replacing the damaged belt...?!

Thank you kindly Smile

I've just changed one of mine that had been chewed by the previous owners puppy. They are not that difficult but there is a bit of stripping involved.

As said for £43 I would just change it. Even if you take the seats out most likely you will put them back in if you sell it.

I did a N/S one...
Open tailgate
Lift cover flap and take out 4 10mm bolts to remove.
Take out the lashing points.
Unclip the carpeted floor board
Unclip the the bottom tailgate support cable, only do the one side and remember not to sit on it until you put it back
Remove the trim around the latch pin
You can then unclip the side bottom trim and then the top rear pillar trim, remember there is an airbag behind there so be very careful
I was able to do mine buy just easing the side panel away at the rear and not taking it completely out. There times where you need to move the rear seats up or down to achieve certain bits.
It will all become clear once you start and one gotcha is the inertia reel has a safety latch that will only allow the belt out when it's in the correct orientation.
Put everything back when you done.

Post #12665098th Apr 2014 12:28 pm
Peteski1

Thanks chaps! I will be attempting at the weekend and will be back at the test station early next week so I shall see what they say Thumbs Up
 Pete  
Post #12673809th Apr 2014 8:31 pm
CDS
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tangiers OrangeDiscovery 3

For the first time this year I got an advisory saying that they couldn't test the rear seat belts as the seats were 'inaccessible'. I guess removing the rubber boot mat and putting the seats up was too muh of a technical task Laughing it also passed with a decat pipe...... Whistle

Discovery 3/4 & RRS keys cut and programmed at your home or work
Apple CarPlay/ Android Auto retro fit - see it here
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blanking
Software updates/ enabling
Mobile Servicing & Repairs

Post #12675319th Apr 2014 11:55 pm
dubbs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Causeway GreyDiscovery 4

Put mine in for MOT with a hatch bag and TransK9 cage in the boot and oddly enough the car passed without the rear seats being checked at all.

That was at a council MOT station - I always use these now as garages just seem to use the MOT to drum up more business.
 MY15 DIY Black Pack (Better than factory and half the price!)
Prospeed rock/tree sliders w/steps
HSE Winter wheels
TransK9 B24
Travall Cargo Guard
Hatchbag 

Post #126756710th Apr 2014 7:18 am
Peteski1

Had the retest done today, and with the third row seats removed it passed Thumbs Up
Also I trimmed a sheet of 12mm ply to cover the boot space for a nice snug fit. It'll save me some fuel economy as the seats were rather heavy! Thank you for all the advice guys... Now onto my compressor issue Neutral
 Pete  
Post #127082516th Apr 2014 4:08 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >