Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Sell now or wait for autumn?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
disco3wannabe

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3
Sell now or wait for autumn?

What are the general thoughts on selling a D3 now or waiting til Sept/Oct?

Would it end up being for about the same price as depreciation is cancelled out by autumn premium?! Or am I kidding myself?

I'm not in a rush but planning on selling in the autumn at the latest, I could be tempted to sell now but probably not unless the figures really stack up plus we're off on hols end of May and she comes into her own then!

Post #12664418th Apr 2014 10:01 am
chalky

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Manual Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Depends what needs doing ?

If its due a service shortly then I'd get shut ! If it's ok for another 6K I'd keep it, likewise MOT ?
Once you have endured the dreaded annual check it would make sense to keep it ?

Rather than pass that on to the next owner, the last thing you want to be doing is blowing a grand and getting shut ?
 Only dead fish go with the Flow !  
Post #12664548th Apr 2014 10:30 am
disco3wannabe

Well, it's an 06 (cheap tax) SE with all the bells and whistles and has LR warranty on it til mid Jan. Mot is due in June, it did have advisories or slight play in bushes last June but it has £700 mot insurance as part of the warranty. Service due in Dec.

Most things for its age are done apart from bushes so had new alternator, battery, both EGR valves, compressor, door latches in last cpl of years.

Am thinking its a shame to p/ex it as with the LR warranty and all it's history (it's a forum car originally) it should sell easily privately. In which case, would I get the pleasure of driving it this summer then sell privately in Sept/oct. Obviously getting a bit more for it privately than through a p/ex. Hence the main question - would selling privately be better now or in sept/oct when thinking depreciation vs autumn uplift?

Post #12665058th Apr 2014 12:23 pm
LT

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Landmark LE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Tricky one, as (IMO) prices for used D3/4's are high at the moment and have been for a while. Helped no doubt by a couple of hard winters followed by last winters floods.

The Disco is big, thirsty and relatively expensive to run. Whilst they'll always be a market for proper big 4X4's, virtually all marques now offer a 4X4 "soft roader", which for many buyers will make more financial sense. In addition there's a growing backlash against diesel engines. Which wont help.

Plus the early 3.0 D4's are now 4 years old and more affordable. By September, they'll be more of these on the used market. This is bound to have some impact on D3 prices.

I hope as much as anyone else who already owns a D3/4, that used prices remain so firm, but it's a gamble.

I'd be tempted to sell now, but as always, sods law can play a strong part in the selling of used vehicles!
 2006 D3 HSE (Original & still the best)-GONE
2010 D4 HSE (A bit bling)-GONE
2014 D4 HSE (Almost too bling)-GONE
2015 D4 HSE (A heated what?)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Written Off)-GONE
2016 D4 Landmark (Surely the last!) PD1881 rims-GONE
2017 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography (now semi-retired) 

Post #12665248th Apr 2014 12:52 pm
waterbuoy

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I'd use it for your holiday in May, get it MOT'd in June, taking full advantage of the MOT insurance that you have paid for, then sell it on with 12 months MOT and 6 months remaining warranty with LR Thumbs Up
 Currently 2009 Disco 3 SE, 2013 MY D4 HSE and 2016 D4 SE
Previously:
TD5 Defender 110 CSW (230k miles)
300TDi Disco 1 (289k)
4 RR Classics (300-350k each, 2 manual, 2 auto)
110 V8 CSW (220k)
S3 109 hi cap pickup (ex RN)
S2A 88 Safari SW with lpg conversion (bloody lethal) 

Post #12667508th Apr 2014 6:47 pm
disco3wannabe

Think you're right waterbuoy. May even keep it for the summer hols taking kids to various beaches, safari parks (minus the bit with rabid monkeys) and day trips then sell in Sept when people start worrying about winter coming Smile

I think even with the insurance the warranty brings, private buyers would be put off so would artificially lower the value so waiting til sept to sell would bring depreciation but as the bushes would be done by then, no artificial lowering if that makes sense?!

Post #12668018th Apr 2014 8:10 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >