Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

GVIF power feed
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
StornowayStu

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Stornoway GreyLR3
GVIF power feed

So being lazy, is there any reason NOT to tap the power feed to the sat nav for the GVIF unit ? Does it draw that much with just a reversing camera hook up that I need to splice into the "cigarette" lighter sockets ?

And if anybody has any "if I knew then what I know now..." tips please share Bow down

Post #11522994th Sep 2013 2:39 am
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Best way is to use a piggy back connector and use fuse 58 to run power from. Gvif is less than 3 amps (that's the fuse size)

You could tap into the satnav power but the cables are all very tight under there.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #11523234th Sep 2013 7:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I connected into the SatNav power plug although tightish it can be done relatively easy, mines been running 2 years without any problems Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #11523454th Sep 2013 8:15 am
jobster

Netherlands 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 3

I have just recieved my GVIF, about to install ikt this weekend. I have version 7.1 and the camera that goes inot to licence plate light.

On this forum I see a manual from hids4u displaying version 6.2. and one with a link to carsolutions. The latter one confuses me since on hids' one and all other places on this forum I see warnings not to tinker with with can-busses. Just have the GCIF for the reverse camera an want it to set uo and work the simplest way possible. Any one who can hint me in the right diretion?
 RLD Sump Guard
GVIF & rear camera
New FBH via Dan
BAS Remap with IIDTool

Post #11527994th Sep 2013 10:21 pm
Bodsy
Site Sponsor 

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

You only need to connect power + and - , then the reverse trigger cable and the video signal cable. You don't need to connect the canbus cables at all.
 Bodsys Brake Bible

D4/D3 Remote FBH heat kits
BAS Remaps/ EGR Blank
Transmission Flush
Software updates/enabling

Clock/ SNOTM /3Flash / 4x4Info /BT Update /Service Reset/Error Codes / Gearbox Reset
See It Here 

Post #11528174th Sep 2013 10:30 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jamesj74

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Plus power to the camera from the reverse light or 12v connector in the boot... Smile

Post #11528394th Sep 2013 10:42 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Very easy and cheap to fit a forward facing camera in the front bumper whilst you are doing it Thumbs Up
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #11529125th Sep 2013 8:13 am
wvlenthe

Netherlands 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

or a wireless receiver that connects to a wireless transmitter connected to a camera on a static location (Berndv has done this) or something you are towing.

If you want to switch on the r/v camera when going forward you either need to have a splitter cable and connect it to two different channels on the gvif, OR you need a separate power feed to the camera and a diode to prevent the reversing light from igniting when you switch on the camera.

HTH

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #11529175th Sep 2013 8:21 am
jobster

thanks for the tips. Will really just install a rear camera. Still looking for a step by step guide. Read quite a few threads on GVIF but still struggle with questions like: do I need to install the switch in read camera only; how to route the cable thru the tail gate (I have a new tailgate release to be installed as well ready) etc.
 RLD Sump Guard
GVIF & rear camera
New FBH via Dan
BAS Remap with IIDTool

Post #11529955th Sep 2013 10:42 am
wvlenthe

For a step-by-step manual, look in DiscoBizz' signature. It covers the whole installation from the first to the last screw.

I have an earlier version of the GVIF, but I would not need to install the switch if using for r/v camera only.

There is always the possibility of installing the lot, testing without putting all the panels back. See what happens and if all works fine put the vehicle back together.

Thumbs Up good luck

Wiljo
 D3 V8 HSE Auto in Zermatt silver - driveway version gone but not forgotten, only the living room cupboard version remains  
Post #11530575th Sep 2013 12:32 pm
jobster

tx for the referral to the discobizz guide! And for the tip in testing it 1st before muffling it under the carpets etc.. Knowing me, 1st time right doesn't always apply.
 RLD Sump Guard
GVIF & rear camera
New FBH via Dan
BAS Remap with IIDTool

Post #11530775th Sep 2013 1:07 pm
jobster

ok, did everything according to the discobuzz' guide. Starting the car makes the screen go to AV right away, when put in reverse, nav comes on. Wrong setting of the dipswitches? I have version 7.1, guide mentions v6.2.

Edit: sorted now. All switches OFF (which means up) except 7. Now need to sort the powerfeed, won't use the satnav source, will take it from the rear socket. Very frustrating that you need to take away the mid-console and stuff since the socket comes out quite easy.

BTW: Feeding cables thru the flaps behind the rear-light makes me somewhat uncomfortable because of possible water ingress. Do I worry too much?
 RLD Sump Guard
GVIF & rear camera
New FBH via Dan
BAS Remap with IIDTool

Post #11545878th Sep 2013 8:55 pm
wvlenthe

Yes you do.what flaps do you mean? The car's original cables run there too, right?
If you are after the reversing lights power, you could take if off the towing electrics that are there.
If I remember correctly I have piggybacked it on one of the cables before it goes through the grommet into the rear light.

Re the dip switches: I had the same issue on my 6.2 gvif, sw 7 needed to be in the upper position as opposed to what the manual said. Told Ian@hids4u so but I can imagine his struggle with the people making these manuals...

Wiljo
Post #11546368th Sep 2013 10:08 pm
jobster

I mean the flaps behind the rearlight, thru which you route the power and grey cable. Had not thought about the towing electrics.
 RLD Sump Guard
GVIF & rear camera
New FBH via Dan
BAS Remap with IIDTool

Post #11546508th Sep 2013 11:03 pm
jobster

anyway, all sorted now, except for one thing: I know it says on Hids4U that the camera (excellent btw, the nightview is astonishing) is a model ???nl, with nl probably meaning no lines. However, in the GVIF menu (the one that comes on after pushing up down up menu, or < for 2 secs) there is an option to enable them, adjust them, but it looks like these are not stored or activated when in reverse. Any of you smart guys have an idea of this is because of this camera, or that I am doing something wrong.
 RLD Sump Guard
GVIF & rear camera
New FBH via Dan
BAS Remap with IIDTool

Post #115619711th Sep 2013 8:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >