Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Australia & New Zealand

Suspension fault
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Discovery343

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Suspension fault

Driving on the highway and "boing" and suspension fault message and amber symbol showed. Stopped and re-started - message and symbol disappeared but a few kms on, same problem. Any ideas?
 05 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Chawton White with roof rails, driving lights, steel side protection rails. Rego: DISCO3  
Post #3492128th Dec 2005 8:24 pm
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

Sounds familiar, loads of possible fixes, all require dealer visit. Technical Service Bulletin LA204-001 refers to water ingress to a connector in the front wheel arch. There are also software upgrades to reduce sensitivity.

There have also been compressor issues.

I had this same error 3 times when the car was new, the wiring was modified as per above tsb, not had an error for 30k miles now 8)

Post #3492428th Dec 2005 8:34 pm
bashir

Australia 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

Hi Discovery343,

I've had similar issues.
I've now had the compressor replaced twice which seemed to fix the problem.
Then the fault came back - dealer said it shut down due to the extreme temps in Sydney (was 42 deg C). Now I've had it come up again twice, but have got the car booked for a software upgrade to resolve the sensitivity issue.
Both the service centre and LR Aus say this will finally resolve my Suspension Faults ... here's hoping.

Will let you know how it goes.

What I recommend to you - visit the dealer and get them to plug the ecu in to diagnose the fault. Call LR Aus Customer Care and log a case with them. They will chase the dealer to resolve the fault asap as well as look after you.
LR Aus have been pretty good to me with my Suspension faults and so has the service centre.

Cheers ...

PS Was down in Tassie again over Christmas and NY ... maybe i'll move there one day ... Very Happy - just love the place ...
 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE

1985 LR 110 County 3.5 V8
(what options?!) 

Post #356683rd Jan 2006 12:42 am
rsp

Australia 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Chawton WhiteDiscovery 3
Suspension fault

D3 delivered June 05. I had a similar problem in late November with a suspension fault message which went away. Dealer started off by replacing the compressor with a later model, but there was a further problem that required the valve to be replaced. It seemed that the valve was one of a bad batch where it did not seal properly. This apparently caused the compressor to work overtime. No further problems as yet, excepting issue below.

Also had messages when raising from access to off-road height about "raising slowly" and the compressor being hot. The dealer said that the compressor was not designed to handle frequent height changes and not to lower it when off-road once raised.

Post #3693111th Jan 2006 8:26 am
BN

England 
Re: Suspension fault

rsp wrote:
D3 delivered June 05. I had a similar problem in late November with a suspension fault message which went away. Dealer started off by replacing the compressor with a later model, but there was a further problem that required the valve to be replaced. It seemed that the valve was one of a bad batch where it did not seal properly. This apparently caused the compressor to work overtime. No further problems as yet, excepting issue below.

Also had messages when raising from access to off-road height about "raising slowly" and the compressor being hot. The dealer said that the compressor was not designed to handle frequent height changes and not to lower it when off-road once raised.

Welcome RSP (600th member), not sure I agree with your dealer whole heartedly, but yes compressors do get hot. The suspension has a 'driveway test' of I think 6 ups and downs in all temperatures, so it should not be a problem.

The best way is to park on your drive with the engine running and raise and lower the car about 3 times consecutively from access to off road and see what happens. It may be best to do this after a run and when you are at home.

Post #3694411th Jan 2006 10:23 am
bashir

car went in today for it's 6 mnth service as well as software upgrade.
service dealer said that although the compressor was replaced, the software needs to be upgraded to suit. he said this should now fix the suspension fault messages.
but i will keep you updated if it does happen again.

also had the seat memory module replaced and the coolant bottle (as i was getting incorrect low coolant messages)

feels like i got a new car again !! Very Happy

(what options?!) 

Post #3695911th Jan 2006 12:02 pm
rsp

Suspension fault and rasining slowly message.

Hi BN

Thanks for your response. I have carried out two tests:

1. After a trip in two parts: a 10 minute drive, a 10 min stop and then a very short drive, I stopped, left the engine running and lowered the car to access height and then to normal height and then off-road height. On the second sequence, I got the raising slowly message when going from normal to off-road height.

2. The second test was conducted after a 10 minute drive home. I left the engine running and started the sequence by lowering the car to access height. On the third sequence, when changing from normal access height to off-road height, I got the raising slowly messge.
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #3740514th Jan 2006 10:53 am
BN

England 
Re: Suspension fault and rasining slowly message.

rsp wrote:
Hi BN

Thanks for your response. I have carried out two tests:

1. After a trip in two parts: a 10 minute drive, a 10 min stop and then a very short drive, I stopped, left the engine running and lowered the car to access height and then to normal height and then off-road height. On the second sequence, I got the raising slowly message when going from normal to off-road height.

2. The second test was conducted after a 10 minute drive home. I left the engine running and started the sequence by lowering the car to access height. On the third sequence, when changing from normal access height to off-road height, I got the raising slowly messge.

I am not sure what the problem is, but it should easily cope with the series of actions you tried without problems. The dealers comments are not correct as often when off road it may be necessary to drop the suspension on a 45 degree side traverse to avoid the car tipping over for instance. I think you still have a fault, but not necessaily in the mechanics. I favour electronics as that is the cause of many problems.

Does the car drop from say normal height if parked over night or stay where you left it?

Post #3743214th Jan 2006 6:13 pm
rsp

Suspension Fault

Hi BN

I am impressed with the speed with which you respond.

As luck would have it I left the car in the off-road height yesterday after the test. I always leave it at access height otherwise. If there has been any change overnight it has been minimal.

I would have thought that if you have air suspension it should work reliably and I was very annoyed when the problem came to light, but being new to air suspension I was not sure whether what I was being told was right or wrong.

The point about needing to lower the suspension when the car is moving at an angle is a good one and is covered on the LR 4WD DVD that I saw earlier this week.

I wll get back to the dealers and post the result of that exchange. My real concern about buying the Disco 3 was how reliable it would be. So far it is not doing too well for a car where the objective is that it can take you off the beaten track and return you.
 Disco 3 TDV6 HSE, Auto, White, Rear Diff Lock. ARB BB, Traxide DBS, GME TX3540S, Safari Snorkel, IIDTool-BT, Doran TPMS, Rijidij Spare Wheel Carrier, Two side by side Drifta drawers, cargo barrier and drop down fridge slide, ARB 47l Fridge, Yokohama A/Ts and out of date 17" Cooper STTs.  
Post #3745714th Jan 2006 10:22 pm
PCH

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

During my 3 day trip on the last day I got the "rasing slowly" message. I drop the D3 to access height to set up the rooftop tent and then when we are packed up and ready to go the next day I raise it to normal then to offroad. This message has never ocurred before but after engaging lowrange the system bonged to tell me it was rasing to off-road height but it also flashed up "raising slowly" I waited a few moments until the off-road height was reached and then off I went. Message never appeared again.

I wonder if the compressor just couldn't cope with having to raise the suspension from such a hard day before Rolling Eyes

Chris
 2011 Discovery 4 (MY12) SDV6 HSE with General Grabber AT's, Traxide Aux Battery system, custom rear drawers and Autosafe half height cargo barrier

Gone - 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE
ARB Bull Bar, Warn 9.5XP Winch, IPF D/Lights, Cooper STT's, LR Raised Air Intake, Traxide aux battery system, custom drawers and half height Autosafe cargo barrier, Mitchell Bros 4x4 tow hitch 

Post #3767416th Jan 2006 12:39 pm
rsp

Suspension Fault

Since taking BN's advice I have spoken to the dealer and booked the car in. It seems that in the last week a software upgrade of some sort, for the suspension, has been issued. I am going in mid next week, so will let you know how I go. I suggest after my last visit to do with a handbrake problem that I would be back, but the service rep said that he did not forsee any more visits being necessary!!!
Exclamation
Post #3780716th Jan 2006 10:25 pm
BN

England 
Re: Suspension Fault

rsp wrote:
Since taking BN's advice I have spoken to the dealer and booked the car in. It seems that in the last week a software upgrade of some sort, for the suspension, has been issued. I am going in mid next week, so will let you know how I go. I suggest after my last visit to do with a handbrake problem that I would be back, but the service rep said that he did not forsee any more visits being necessary!!!
Exclamation

Many of the minor problems I personally think could be cured if the technicians knew what to look for. With the D3 they have to tell Testbook what is the problem, then Testbook will search for it. In older LR's the techy would ask Testbook to find the fault for him.

Ask for a full printout of the Testbook report before they reset anything, then one when they have reset it. You can also ask for a settings report as well, which is useful. Also don't forget to insist that they complete an EPQR (a report form) because it is the only way LR know of the problem and can follow it up.

Best of luck.

Post #3781516th Jan 2006 11:27 pm
10forcash

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

From what I understand of WDS / Testbook, I believe you are wrong, there is a comprehensive - and evolving DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Code) monitor in WDS that has flowcharts and 'pointers' far in excess of any previous diagnostic system, specifically designed to eliminate erroneous fault diagnosis from the Disco3's with feedback to LR by means of the 'S93 report'. The main problem - which WDS V12, with appropriate patches - addresses, is to desensitise the Disco3 from erroneous fault reporting. Maybe the designers and software engineers were being too sensitive?

Post #3781817th Jan 2006 12:16 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
bashir

Re: Suspension Fault

rsp wrote:
Exclamation

rsp,

this software update (which my vehicle recently had) was available late last year to fix the suspension fault messages .... unless there has been yet another update in the past week (had my update completed on the 11th as part of my 6mnth service - was spending way too much time at the service centre and not at work to drop it off in mid December!)

well it has been 1 week now and no amber or red alerts or any dashboard messages .... yippie !! Very Happy

(what options?!) 

Post #3795818th Jan 2006 12:17 am
rsp

Suspension Issues

Update from dealer is that they do not know if the SW Update will resolve the issue of the limited number of times the suspension can be raised and lowered, but they have to try it first before doing anything else Question .
Post #3796618th Jan 2006 4:04 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 4 1234>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >