Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

summer tires?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
senortetas

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3
summer tires?

hey guys, was wondering if anyone on here is VERY pleased with any certain summer street tire? i have an 05 LR3 SE and right now i'm running pirelli scorpion's in the summer and nokian hakkapallita's in the winter (i LOVE the nokian's). however the pirelli's are wearing down faster than they should be, and i've been having them rotated as much as i should, but i'm still having problems. even my 'go to guy' at my dealer says he isnt 100% happy with any certain summer tire for the LR3, but i was wondering if theres anyone out there who's really loving their current summer tire? i'm going to be doing very little to no serious trail driving so i really dont need any off-road tires, moreso a great street tire. thanks for any suggestions or help in advance.

Post #15248927th Apr 2007 1:50 am
jwest

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

well, for my 20" rims i use toyo proxes st which are really great performing summer tires that do ok in light snow too. for your size rims though (18"?) there may be other better choices. the question is if you want something at all AllTerrain like or purely road performing. (i use agressive tires on another set of rims for offroad/winter trips)
i know the continentals are good but i really have heard from bmw X5 and rover drivers of all models that the toyo proxes st is really wuite a tire. my 20"s were only $155 each as well.

i did however really love the michelin xpc that goes on my discovery II, 255/55x18 but i am fairly sure they don't make it in a proper size for your lr3, 255/60x18 i'm guessing seeing as 255/55x19 is stock for the lr3 19".

michelin makes great all season stuff though. go the sweet route and find some 20's for your summer tires and keep your winters on the 18's. my 20's (10 spoke in 5V pattern from rr-sport-sc in 05/06) are worth nearly nothing now if you look on ebay and rover forums with people selling them to upgrade to newer styles or 22's !
 96 Disco I, 210,000 miles - still going strong
04 Disco II, Vienna/Tundra, +2" lift, onboard air, 120V...
07 LR3 HSE
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6 

Post #15249327th Apr 2007 3:24 am
LHD

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

I have scorpion zeros on mine. The Yokohama winter tyres I have have done more miles but have more treat.

Zeros won't be replaced with Zeros, needless to say.
 Discovery 3 Manual as PDF | Blackvue 500 | BAS Remap | Mates did South America in a Landie

Post #15256927th Apr 2007 10:04 am
senortetas

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zermatt SilverLR3

thanks for the replies! ill definitely check out the toyo's you were talking about. i got nokian hakkapalitta's (sp?) for winter on reccomendation from my dealer and LOVE them. for summer i have the scorpion zero's as well, but they're wearing much faster than they should in my opinion, so i'll check out the toyo's.

as far as summer rims, theres a pair of 24" giovanna rims that i REALLY want (http://www.wtwcorp.com/Giovanna%20Wheels/Giovanna%20Wheels/images/dalarblack.jpg) but the job hunt has to pay off first!

Post #16771417th Jun 2007 11:52 pm
jwest

United States 2007 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Java BlackLR3

i think 24's on an lr3 might be a little less useful though. i mean they will look cool but i think it's coo lto be able to swing forward into a parallel parking situation and just go up on the curb, then cut back and drop the wheel down - bam, your straight. 20" rims are about the max to actually "use" the lr3 due to maximum tire diameter issues of about 31.5" the toyos i use end up at 30"/stock.
 96 Disco I, 210,000 miles - still going strong
04 Disco II, Vienna/Tundra, +2" lift, onboard air, 120V...
07 LR3 HSE
2008 Audi S4 Avant mt6 

Post #16772418th Jun 2007 3:22 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >