Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > General

Shattered sunroof
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Pete199

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Insurance said no to doing sunroof under glass cover. Went and picked up a full unit today from Metal Monster Junk. I managed to remove old unit without getting glass everywhere and new unit is in now.

Last edited by Pete199 on 11th May 2016 3:54 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #165294610th May 2016 8:08 pm
UtilityGuy

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

did you take any photos to share with us ?

Post #165307410th May 2016 11:43 pm
Pete199

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Basically drop head lining down, unbolt sunroof unit slide it out and new one in

Post #165312111th May 2016 6:58 am
METAL MONSTER JUNK

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Firenze RedDiscovery 4

It was good to meet you yesterday Pete and I'm glad you managed to fit the sunroof. Hopefully, this one will last another 10 years Thumbs Up

Harriet @ MMJ

Post #165319911th May 2016 9:27 am
jimmydunc

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
headliner removal

Pete199 wrote:
Basically drop head lining down, unbolt sunroof unit slide it out and new one in

Ours cracked over 8 months ago, in the garage under the house, no reason whatsoever! Anyways went down insurance road no go.Eventually had to get second hand unit minus motor from the US.Took 3 weeks arrived slightly damaged.Cracked in plastic in the drain so had a few emails over that.They blamed the Global Courier, so do I but haven't heard back for compensation (postage more than the unit cost!) Anyways took tape off the roof that was holding original shattered piece together and set about headliner removing.From LR workshop disc started with Drivers A pillar - Unclipped plastic dash piece easy,pulled out door seal easy,went to undo Torx screw then shyte hits fan. Torx head strips - go for eazy-out, no budge still snaps eazy-out! So now have to get Dremel Tungsten Carbide tip to get out eazy-out broken tip.Thinking that, I hope all these one use Torx screws are going to need same attention! Hour or so later after grinding, drilling and swearing ,retrieved broken tip what was left and tapped what was left of thread back into pillar.Now have to either helicoil or re-tap hole to take new screw when installing.Great relief that the screw is out and very tentatively move to passenger side.This time tapped in 30Torx bit and took a small spanner on end of adaptor to start removal.My god they are tight! Took it easy and made sure pressure remained on bit as I turned it.It was very slow going but finished with it in the drill slowly.Why are they sooo tight, as they are only hold in a fabric covered piece of plastic covering an air bag.Very much overkill IMO.!I am putting this in here just to for warn anybody who thinks that it is just a quick in and out job -in my case more that 3 hours just for A pillars! Will take pics as I progress hoping to get to Petes results before weekend.
 you want to get out - ya talk to me  
Post #21578141st Jul 2020 8:01 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jimmydunc

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Need help. C pillar trim with Rear air, how to get it out.Nowhere on net addressing this!
 you want to get out - ya talk to me  
Post #21581252nd Jul 2020 6:00 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
suzzling

United Kingdom 

Late to the party, but mine shattered today whilst parked.

Looking at the service manual, section 501-17, page "Roof Opening Panel Glass (76.84.03)", it seems that the glass is replaceable without removing the headliner, mechanism, etc.

Is this not so? Or is there another reason you've all chosen to swap out the entire assembly?
 Grey 05 TDV6 HSE Auto
White 87 V8 110 CSW 

Post #222480915th Apr 2021 3:37 pm
galwaygreen

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 Graphite LE Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

we had screen with chip in it...lasted about two weeks....the first frostly morning we had...bingo it went popo.....it has been cold of late

Post #222489015th Apr 2021 10:56 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >