Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D4)

Service required but service not due yet??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Ammdaz

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Loire BlueDiscovery 4

Gary_P wrote:
Ammdaz wrote:
Morning, so this has popped up again, done just over 1k miles on fresh oil. Surely it doesn't need another oil change after that many miles. The only thing is I performed no service reset after I changed the oil. Any ideas thanks.

I notice you didn’t do a service reset after the oil change . As you didn’t reset it, I think it could be the same message sequence counting down the miles. How many miles to service did it say in November, and how many is it saying now? It can take some time between this countdown and you’ve only done 1000 miles. ( message normally reads , service required in xxxx miles).
My understanding is that, without a reset, you haven’t done anything to reset the oil dilution calculation the car has.
Let us know. If you had an IID to can view the oil dilution percentage the car has calculated.

Hi again, so back in November it never said miles or time left until service as stated in the handbook, it literally flashes up service required after it's gone through the other things like tpms etc. If I select show faults in the menu on the dash nothing is listed. But not every time, only from cold but again not every time. Doing the same now. I just find it odd that it hadn't come up for 1k miles after I did the oil change, but now it's popping up again. Main last service was done last June at 110583 with service reset done then, in November it had done 116k (so 6k miles so I could understand that one) and now just over 117k. Not sure where I'm going with this post 😂 just listing the facts I currently know. Looks like I'm going to get an iid to help me.

Post #23614088th Feb 2024 3:55 pm
Gary_P

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Hi
The service required message normally starts with a miles countdown message.From my own personal experience (rather than expert knowledge) it seems that each time it reaches a new threshold, it flashes up the message with a new, lower, mileage. Normally starts at about 1600 pr 1800 miles iirc. This service required message doesn't come up every time you start it on mine, like yours, and there is no indication of the message when using the menu options on the dash (ie service menu). Frustratingly , the message flashes up very briefly ( perhaps 3 - 4 seconds) and then is gone, and as I say, the next time you start the car there is no sign of it (until you hit another, lower, threshold). So, I don't think there is anything unusual in the behaviour regarding the delivery of the message on your car. The strange thing is, that you didn't get a countdown. I wonder if you missed it? I also cannot remember if when there are no miles left to when a service is required, it will show up every time (anyone out there know?). Without being patronising, it is very easy to miss the mileage (personal experience).
I maintain that the car would not have known you changed the oil. Given my understanding of how oil dilution percentage is calculated which uses the number of incomplete/partial DPF regenerations to estimate how much of the extra diesel it uses has not been burnt off. It does not actually analyse the oil itself, if the reason for the message in November was oil dilution (quite possible on these) then that calculation /estimation would not have been reset and would still be being used by the car to provide service messages.
Worth looking to see if you have any error messages using a tool. In addition, if you do get hold/borrow one, also check the miles to next service and oil dilution percentage paramaters too. Those parameters may help you find out what's going on. Approaching/over 6% is when service required in messages start.
A couple of other thoughts/questions that might assist. Did you get all the oil out? They take 5.9L and may be a bit more if oil is diluted? Do you do a lot of short journeys?
Good luck. keep us updated
 Gary
-------------------------------------------

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #23614138th Feb 2024 5:02 pm
Gary_P

Where abouts in Kent are you?
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #23614148th Feb 2024 5:02 pm
Ammdaz

Gary_P wrote:
Hi
The service required message normally starts with a miles countdown message.From my own personal experience (rather than expert knowledge) it seems that each time it reaches a new threshold, it flashes up the message with a new, lower, mileage. Normally starts at about 1600 pr 1800 miles iirc. This service required message doesn't come up every time you start it on mine, like yours, and there is no indication of the message when using the menu options on the dash (ie service menu). Frustratingly , the message flashes up very briefly ( perhaps 3 - 4 seconds) and then is gone, and as I say, the next time you start the car there is no sign of it (until you hit another, lower, threshold). So, I don't think there is anything unusual in the behaviour regarding the delivery of the message on your car. The strange thing is, that you didn't get a countdown. I wonder if you missed it? I also cannot remember if when there are no miles left to when a service is required, it will show up every time (anyone out there know?). Without being patronising, it is very easy to miss the mileage (personal experience).
I maintain that the car would not have known you changed the oil. Given my understanding of how oil dilution percentage is calculated which uses the number of incomplete/partial DPF regenerations to estimate how much of the extra diesel it uses has not been burnt off. It does not actually analyse the oil itself, if the reason for the message in November was oil dilution (quite possible on these) then that calculation /estimation would not have been reset and would still be being used by the car to provide service messages.
Worth looking to see if you have any error messages using a tool. In addition, if you do get hold/borrow one, also check the miles to next service and oil dilution percentage paramaters too. Those parameters may help you find out what's going on. Approaching/over 6% is when service required in messages start.
A couple of other thoughts/questions that might assist. Did you get all the oil out? They take 5.9L and may be a bit more if oil is diluted? Do you do a lot of short journeys?
Good luck. keep us updated

Thanks for your comprehensive reply, so next time I start it I will look to see if there is a mileage / time, don't think there was but I will double/ triple check 👍 it seems from what your saying me not resetting anything the car still thinks I have done anything, I did get a bit more than the 5.9l so put that down to the oil dilution.
What constitutes a short journey? We do a mix of differing mileage journeys same as any other family.
I think I need to get a tool, do you know if the iid is the only one to give the info I'm after?

Post #23614198th Feb 2024 6:18 pm
Ammdaz

Gary_P wrote:
Where abouts in Kent are you?

We're down on the Romney Marsh.

Post #23614208th Feb 2024 6:18 pm
Gary_P

I'm not sure which other tools will work at reading codes and checking the parameters I mentioned. Others may have more info regarding code reading/ parameter reading options.
I asked where you are as I have an IID and live in Kent ( North coast). I'm not sure if my IID could read your codes and check parameters on your car without being registered to it. Anyone on here know?
If it is possible, and you fancy a trip up to Whitstable, we could take a look ( as I'm not planning any trips your way ( I did visit Rye just recently). IID tools do come up for sale regularly on the forum for around £300+ but that tool may be overkill for your needs. Having said that, you can always resell to get your money back.
Let's try to find out:
What tools can read codes/ parameters work with the D4
Whether a non registered IID can work to read codes/parameters such as distance to service and oil dilution factor.

Anyone on these two points?
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #23614218th Feb 2024 7:01 pm
Ammdaz

Appreciate your help massively mate 👍 and for the offer to take a look for us.
We like Whitstable but don't get up there very often.
We've actually managed to secure a used Gap IID tonight off marketplace, my partner had a quick look and she found one listed this evening.
Will get it registered and see what's going on and figure it out and keep you posted or more questions 😂
Again thanks 👍

Post #23614328th Feb 2024 8:57 pm
Ammdaz

So got ourselves a GAP iid at last but i'm having trouble finding this info that you said look for - miles to next service and oil dilution percentage paramaters.
I've only just got the gap and it's all a bit daunting at the moment but would like to find these specifics to check. I have found the service reset but that's not what i'm after.

Post #236192713th Feb 2024 5:39 pm
Gary_P

No sweat. It is a bit of a maze, finding the information. Hopefully I can find the detail of where this is in the menu options, quickly, and get back to you. I know you want a quick answer so I'm working on it now..........
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #236192813th Feb 2024 5:44 pm
Ammdaz

Brilliant mate. thanks Thumbs Up

Post #236192913th Feb 2024 5:46 pm
Gary_P

OK. Hopefully this will be useful , if not I'll get the IID plugged in and look again.

What you need to do is look at the 'Live values', ' full list' (not quick list) . I believe that's where you'll find the list of values that includes 'oil dilution inferred' service required in' values.

If you can't find it, we can both plug in at the same time and talk it through on the mobile.

Good luck
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #236193013th Feb 2024 5:54 pm
Ammdaz

Ok so getting somewhere now, I would never had found them 😂 so the miles tally up with last service before we owned it. The dilution I'm assuming also should have been reset as after 1k miles I'd expect it low?

Post #236193213th Feb 2024 6:12 pm
Ammdaz

Click image to enlarge

Post #236193313th Feb 2024 6:15 pm
Gary_P

It's an inferred oil dilution calculation done using the number of unfinished dpf regents. I would expect it to reset just because you changed the oil ( the calculation still remains until reset, I would think). It's not analysing your oil.
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #236193413th Feb 2024 6:16 pm
Gary_P

Dilution factor, that's the one. Anything over 6% is the trigger.
 Gary

Discovery 4 HSE 2016MY 

Post #236193513th Feb 2024 6:18 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >