Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

To Scrap or not to Scrap, That is litereallly the question.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
discophil36

Scotland 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 4
To Scrap or not to Scrap, That is litereallly the question.

Hi , Would appreciate everyone's thoughts as I am totally confused and don't know what is the best thing to do.

My Disco 3 runs out of MOT at end of month, so I had it looked at before new MOT. I was told the chassis needs welded and isn't an economical repair. I know its not the best chassis in the world but before he poked holes in it I really didn't think it was that bad. its at 180k but runs fantastically and I use it daily and I've done so much to it but honestly don't know what's best to recoup money on it.

So do I scarp it and remove as much of the moded parts as possible?

Sell all parts piece by piece?

trade it in while still MOT'd?

Sell as a project spares or repairs?

Post #21916045th Dec 2020 5:36 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

How bad is the chassis?
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #21916065th Dec 2020 7:05 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sorry to hear that.

Regarding your questions.... what is NON economical?
How is that to be determined? What “insurers” say or “workshops” is not relevant i think...

If you can get it fixed in a proper way for lets say 2K or 3K...

Can you buy another good one for that budget? Even when selling all the goodies from this one, you end up with a motor without such beautiful goodies.....

So i think repair could be a good route....

Repair/welding stuff, let mikey say something about that.

But just thinking, there are so much D3 around with scrapped engines... and good chassis etc...

Buy one, switch body’s and there you go.... must be possible for 3k incl swap?
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21916135th Dec 2020 9:07 am
Disco_Mikey

Or, rechassis it.

Have either your chassis blasted, repaired and galvanised, or source a new chassis and treat it before fitting Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #21916155th Dec 2020 9:17 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

I’m not sure the DVLA would be happy with just swapping the chassis from a scrapper and putting another body on it. Which identity does the car become?

It’s a real topic of discussion on the Series Land Rover forums. Consensus seems to be to cut off and retain the chassis number section of the old chassis. New chassis manufacturers will stamp your new chassis but only when you present the completed vehicle with documents. Second hand chassis is a completely different can of worms.

On the other hand, buy a set of stamps and stamp it yourself! Who’s to know?

Post #21916205th Dec 2020 9:45 am
Disco_Mikey

The chassis number on my TDV8 is now illegible after blasting, galv and painting

Still there, just can't be seen Laughing
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #21916245th Dec 2020 10:02 am
Gareth
Site Moderator 

United Kingdom 

My 109 that I’ve had for 25 years, re-chassis’d in 2003 has no number. The dumb iron is on a shelf in my shed.

Since then, I did my 88 last year and will be taking it to Richard’s Chassis for numbering when I’m allowed to. The old chassis had previously been repaired and the number lost because a previous owner had replaced the dumb iron. The chassis was given away for scrap, but I have no idea if it was subsequently used by someone else?

It certainly is a grey area, that has been exploited in the past by people trying to get a vehicle into historic status and free road tax!

Same could be said for the OP’s car. If he were to replace the chassis with one from a 2007 car for example, should it move to the higher tax bracket?

Post #21916415th Dec 2020 11:29 am
DSL
Keeper of the wheelie bin 

Ukraine 

Minor flip side, discussion on a Kodiaq forum where they’ve had a body shell swap after a collision, new shell not having a VIN stamp. Problems the. selling the car, either dealer not interested or price downgraded. When I sold my D4 the WBAC chap deffo crawled under the car to check the chassis number.

Prob not applicable for OP’s situation but makes ya think for newer cars.

Post #21916435th Dec 2020 11:34 am
Motolab

Netherlands 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Swapping is allowed, since a body has no real identification regarding numbering (plate behind the wind screen is just a plate) and it is within the same manufacturing year/model range... at least in The Netherlands.. UK can be different...

Chassis is leading regarding identity, so when chassis is swapped, the motor has the identity of the chassis donor motor..

Transfering a chassisnumber section is illegal though (here in NL)

The tax department here, wants to know what the “new” age is, when they have reasons to check..

In the Netherlands we have a 2/3 rule... 2/3 of the total vehicle determines the age.. IF that 2/3 is newer than the chassis number...

So; chassis, driveline incl. Gearbox AND engine is 2/3..... body is 1/3

BUT chassis, driveline, gearbox AND newer engine and body, makes it newer....than te chassis...

Could be quite te same in the UK...

Because older land rovers like the RR “classic” or series/defender owners most of the time like old chassis with newer engines and body’s you see / read that kind of stories te most...

But just swapping a same age chassis, may be easyer and more legal than you think...
 Best regards
Harold

Always looking for Pre '55's & Pre war British Motorcycles! knowing or having one for sale? PM please. I visit the UK 6 times a year

Ps. I edit my texts quite often, english is not my native language, so I will edit My “typo’s” etc. Wink 

Post #21916595th Dec 2020 12:40 pm
Disco_Mikey

Hence why there was a TDV8 "Disco 3" over that way, that had a shortened Disco body, but still officially a TDV8 RRS Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

Post #21916635th Dec 2020 12:47 pm
discophil36

Disco_Mikey wrote:
How bad is the chassis?

It has some on inner arches and sills in the body too.

I've certainly welded worse on my disco 1 but took me best part of summer so I need a car either way by end of month and won't get this done for sometime in sure.

Post #21916685th Dec 2020 1:09 pm
discophil36

Cheers for all replies. Yeah it was a conundrum when I considered swapping chassis what identify does it become..given age etc I'm not sure how many would check chassis numbers but the risk is always there.

Also I'd it was newer I'd certainly consider 2 - 3 k on chasis swop but I don't think that's economical for me either.

I'm thinking buy a D4 or lot newer D3 swap decent bits between them and scrap the car or sell as project bit again I don't even know what I'd get for a running decent spec S without MOT (well by end of month anyway)

If I can get bits swapped with original I had hoped on trading it in for D4 while it's still got a ticket. But so you think they'll even look or given the age just give basic price and punt to market?

Anyone done similar?

Post #21916705th Dec 2020 1:17 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

discophil36 wrote:

Disco_Mikey wrote:
How bad is the chassis?

It has some on inner arches and sills in the body too.

I've certainly welded worse on my disco 1 but took me best part of summer so I need a car either way by end of month and won't get this done for sometime in sure.

Thats the sills that are on the body not the chassis. There are plenty of threads running on there replacement, you should be able to get them both replaced for under 1k.

Post #21916735th Dec 2020 1:30 pm
discophil36

Want to buy a great project or parts car disco Mikey 🙄😂🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿👍

Post #21916745th Dec 2020 1:34 pm
discophil36

[/quote]

Thats the sills that are on the body not the chassis. There are plenty of threads running on there replacement, you should be able to get them both replaced for under 1k.[/quote]

There's more on the chassis too but that's all pictures I have just now that he sent me as I've been on and still on night shifts since then.

Post #21916765th Dec 2020 1:38 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >