Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

RPMs Jumping and Vibration?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
mopho12

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
RPMs Jumping and Vibration?

Hey all! Been lurking this site ever since I got my D3 and usually I can find answers but this is getting pretty specific so figured I'd just ask this time Very Happy If you're in a hurry there's a TL;DR at the end.

Some backstory first, my D3 is a 2005 V8 AT with around 198k miles. It's always ran well mechanically and the only issues I've had since owning it (I'm second owner) were mainly air suspension problems (on my 3rd or 4th compressor Sad ). Also had the AC compressor go out, alternator go out, and radiator quit. Those were all "easy" fixes for me.

Then about 2 years ago when the car was sitting in the driveway for a few days during some especially heavy storms the sunroof drains finally decided to give way and it flooded pretty bad; couple inches in the driver and passenger front floorboards. I got it all dried out and removed as much of the interior as possible to stop any mold/mildew growth (somehow the headliner and pillars weren't wet?) and started checking for electrical issues. It had a ton of problems with the All Terrain module, steering angle sensor, brake lamp switch, central junction box, etc. and by the time I finally got all of that fixed up and cleaned of corrosion and all it was winter and too cold for me to really work on it. So it sat in the driveway and a RAT decided the engine would be a good home and it chewed through wires right by the battery and transfer case module >Sad

I thought all hope was lost because I would definitely need some kind of advanced tool like the IID or T4 to get this thing back together but 1. Can't afford those 2. They cost more than the car is worth just to find out if I needed to replace parts that would make it even more expensive to fix. Did some research and found the JLR SDD software is technically "free" but takes some work to get going without LR prebuilt laptop and expensive VCI cable.

Kept messing around and ended up finding a Mongoose cable brand new for $35 so decided to try getting the software to work. That was a huge PITA and took forever (it is now slightly over 2 years since it flooded and car has sat all that time) but finally got it working and started diagnosing issues. Software was a godsend and was able to get everything put back together and car is better than ever with the exception of ONE (possibly small) thing! (Oh, and I lucked out somehow and didn't have to replace any modules except the brake lamp switch which is fairly cheap Very Happy )

TL;DR
So if you read all that, thanks, but if not here's the gist of the issue. Car sat for 2 years with no battery attached and bunch of other issues. Everything is back to normal and running great. EXCEPT that the RPMs jump around a bit and when driving, both under load and not under load, there is a weird feeling that I can only describe as similar to driving over those lines on edge of highway but not without the noise. I've narrowed it down to either the PCM or TCM are still relearning things and it will go away with time, the modules need software updates, or it's the torque converter (please NO!).

I have reset the PCM and TCM adaptations, cleaned the MAF, checked that air intake housing is all sealed well, cleaned air intake manifold, added fuel system cleaner and fuel conditioner, checked transmission fluid and topped off (not a complete drain and replace). When I first got everything finished on the car I was getting MIL and "Fuel Too Lean" codes but I cleared the code and added the fuel additives and cleaned MAF and manifold and the codes/light has not come back. Only thing I have yet to do is check for/update software on the PCM or TCM because the SDD software has randomly decided to crash when I start the module configuration component thanks to what I assume is some update in some underlying code library. Everything else on SDD works though so I can still run most diagnostics and see all the live data.

Will post updates as I go along but if anyone out there has suggestions of what I may be missing please let me know! Really hoping its not a torque converter issue!!

Thanks for taking the time to read this ridiculously long post hahaha Very Happy

Post #224252219th Jul 2021 4:37 pm
aja4x4

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Sounds like the torque converter to me, try a couple of tubes of Dr tranny
 Andrew

D3 2.7tdv6 2005
D4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial died and gone to LR heaven
D5 3.0 SDV6 HSE 

Post #224253819th Jul 2021 6:30 pm
mopho12

United States 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 SE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3

Thanks! Forgot to mention I’m planning on doing that. Got a couple tubes of it coming Wednesday Smile

Post #224254219th Jul 2021 6:55 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >