Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Technical (D3)

Revs drop when setting off?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Stevecdisco3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3
Revs drop when setting off?

Hi everyone I've got a d3 (manual gearbox) Everytime I set off in 1st it drops revs around 400-500rpm and then takes ages to get going like it has massive turbo lag. Quite dangerous if I need to pull out of a junction. If I set off slow and slowly lift clutch it's fine but obv got to wait for a big gap in traffic to do that. Any ideas? Turbo actuator is free as a bird so is the throttle body flap.
It also drops into limp mode if I climb a long steep hill not sure if this is related but running out of ideas.

Post #23656081st Apr 2024 4:56 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

It sounds like you may have EGR problems causing the poor throttle response. The "limp" mode whilst climbing hills will be fuel related, so either the fuel filter is clogged, the the in tank fuel pump is on it's way out, or the HPFP is on it's way out.

The EGR's can be replaced but OEM LR ones are expensive, though there are some aftermarket ones available as well as cheap crap, so beware! You could have them blanked, and if as I suspect yours is a Euro3 emissions car (no EML on the dash) you won't need an electronic patch as well.

As for the fuel issues replace the fuel filter with a genuine LR or OEM unit and see if that helps the hill climbing issue. Don't skimp on this or it will come back to haunt you. If the problem persists you will need to check the performance of the in tank fuel pump. Use the search function at the top of the page as there is a guide as well plenty of info/tips written on this subject.

Finally, get yourself a decent diagnostic tool (GAP IID is favoured on here) and you simply will not be able to diagnose the issues without one. Also, site members will be able to advise you better if you can provide the diagnostic codes. If it's the HPFP that is at fault the diagnostic tool will be the only way to help confirm this. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #23656211st Apr 2024 7:25 pm
Stevecdisco3

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Java BlackDiscovery 3

Thankyou for info it's already had the egr's blanked off. I forgot to mention that. On fuel issue I will replace filter like u said thankyou for that

Post #23656221st Apr 2024 7:42 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >