Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Restricted Performance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Carl and Petra

France 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 SE Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Intriguing read.

I have nothing......apart from wishing for simpler days without computers amd rocker covers that were just rocker covers!

Post #235914416th Jan 2024 4:47 pm
darrind

England 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Always worth checking the pending faults - it can throw light on where the issue is
 Must stop buying shiny toys....  
Post #235919216th Jan 2024 8:32 pm
gregj47

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Hi
I know you said you have smoke tested it but that doesn’t always show a split manifold. Reason being is it is only when manifold is pressured up by turbo that the split opens up and pressure is lost. If you are just stood blowing smoke Into it at minimal pressure it’s not forced to show itself. When my passenger side manifold went it passed a smoke test but sure enough there was a split in it . Replaced it and no problem since . Hope this helps maybe and ya get sorted 👍

Post #235923117th Jan 2024 10:51 am
steamraiser2

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

i always check the pending faults , nothing there I am afraid. In fact the IID tool picks up no faults at all beyond a FBH to radio communication error. Both the radio/cd/dvd unit and the FBH work well. I have tried running with both on and both off without any effect on the appearance of the fault. The battery is brand new, not that there was anything wrong with the old one, which is working happily in my other D4.

So my next steps are into the "more in hope than expectation" category. I am going to set up my timed climate, which I have never bothered with, to put a little warmth into it during this cold snap, bring forward a planned dpf flush and check out the auto gearbox filter. The oil is clean but I have no idea if the filter has been ever changed. Might be an idea to check the actual outputs from the alternator too. I don't think that any of this will achieve much but I do go through absolutely everything when I get another Disco just because I can.
A little annoying for sure. My D3 was ultra reliable in comparison. I should never have sold it.
 2011 D4 HSE, it'll be nice if it ever works!
2014 D4 HSE Luxury. as if one money pit isn't enough!
My old 2005 D3. Now sold after 362000 on the original engine! 

Post #235923317th Jan 2024 11:09 am
steamraiser2

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 4

gregj47 wrote:
Hi
I know you said you have smoke tested it but that doesn’t always show a split manifold. Reason being is it is only when manifold is pressured up by turbo that the split opens up and pressure is lost. If you are just stood blowing smoke Into it at minimal pressure it’s not forced to show itself. When my passenger side manifold went it passed a smoke test but sure enough there was a split in it . Replaced it and no problem since . Hope this helps maybe and ya get sorted 👍

Thanks for that ! Thumbs Up I have rechecked for leaks several times and have dismantled various bits known to crack for close inspection without any success at all. I have another D4 and smoke tested that too, paranoia setting in?, which did throw up a minute leak caused by a degraded O ring. When checking the troublesome D4 for the same degraded O ring I found that it was like new. Strangely disappointed not to find a defect Rolling Eyes

I have a long distance towing job to do next week and it will be interesting to see what, if anything pops up!
 2011 D4 HSE, it'll be nice if it ever works!
2014 D4 HSE Luxury. as if one money pit isn't enough!
My old 2005 D3. Now sold after 362000 on the original engine! 

Post #235940419th Jan 2024 12:51 pm
Collwyn

2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Have a look at how clear your DPF is. I had one that was more than 28g and it threw up a restricted performance but no DPF or other codes. Had to do a forced regen to take it down past 6g - took about 2 hours of driving. Your iid will tell you what the status is and it can do the forced regen.

Post #236508124th Mar 2024 9:31 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
onetwentie

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

Hi OP

Just read through your thread and it (aside from being paining to read of your D4 RP Issues), was a well written thread, so thank you.

Wondering if you ever had the RP issue come back? or did you, in the end, put it down to the cold starts?

I have a similar issue on mine, but still awaiting the time to make my own smoke machine so as to test the manifolds for air leaks. I have cleaned the MAF sensors with some MAF cleaner, but alas to no avail.

I got the car with the Restricted Performance error, and so I have known nothing different.

Yesterday however, having found out that the steering angle was out, and rectifying it with a quick calibration on the IID, I was surprised to see that all of my faults had disappeared, including the dreaded RP one. So we took it for a quick test drive, and my oh my, the car!

With a big smile on our faces, driving onwards, but no - it was back.

So here I am checking the best place on the internet for posts about similar issues.

thanks!

Post #23661778th Apr 2024 11:14 am
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

Mine is at the garage being looked at under warranty for RP, a fault code was generated for an intake air leak. The dealership that did the belts change checked it in case it was something they did and they found a blown seal on the recirculator valve.

In my case it didn't occur during accelration/overrun but under steady speed on cruise control at around 65-70mph. This occurred last week yet a run to the West Country and back a month ago was faultless, the crud stuck to the valve looks like it has been blowing for a time.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #23662018th Apr 2024 7:01 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >