Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

reprogram key
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
eightfoot

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

thanks for the reply so are you saying all i am doing is adding another key to the car and doing so will not affect either of the 2x keys i already have or are you saying that i cannot add another key to the 2x i have thanks for your help Thumbs Up
 please excuse any grammer/punctuation mistakes,i'm thick,thankyou
current vehicles 2005 d3 2013 d4 

Post #233154528th Mar 2023 1:49 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

You can add numerous keys, more than you will ever want, the existing keys will not be affected.
Do search with the underlined facility at the top of the page for someone who has recently purchased and programmed one to make sure you are buying the correct one.

Example of what you will find, there are hundreds, you need a 433MhZ fob.
https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/key-fob-pro...rogramming

https://disco4.com/forum/finally-found-bes...hlight=Key
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Last edited by M3DPO on 28th Mar 2023 2:16 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #233154628th Mar 2023 1:53 pm
eightfoot

thanks for the quick reply i have just reread the iid manual and it make sense to me now i think the confusion has risen from reading the manual as reprograming a new key but it would appear that im just copying from the original keys details and adding to a new virgin key

i have read and reread the posts from others and thats prob what has confused me (thinking about it too much tis a problem i suffer from lol) the links that people have added for buying the correct keys all come up as a 414 code cant be found so have taken a chance on one and will see if it works or not but it was only £15 delivered so its not too much of a loss it it will not work

ive had the new key apart its got a replaceable battery in it and is a 433mhz frequency so proving the battery being replaceable instead of rechargeable is ok and nobody has tried to add it to another car it should work ok thanks for your help Thumbs Up

Post #233154728th Mar 2023 2:15 pm
eightfoot

just to finally put this to bed i purchased this from the bay :-e item number:285162516993 for £15.65 has programmed ok with my non bt iid and seems to be working fine i am going to order another as a spare and leave it unprogrammed as a spare thanks for all the replies hopefully this might help someone else that needs a cheap replacement key Thumbs Up

Post #233159728th Mar 2023 7:03 pm
riverblanche

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

Hi,

no going to bed yet Laughing

what have you done about the key blade Question

Thumbs Up
 Transit! 2019
Gone D3 HSE 2008
Another Porsche Cayenne 2022
Gone Porsche Cayenne 2020
Gone RRS HSE Dynamic 2016
Gone RRS HSE LUX 2011
Gone RRS HSE 2006
Gone D3 SE 2.7 2008
gone D2 Td5 1999

I plan on living forever and so far so good !

Club DG Mclaren stuff

Post #233160428th Mar 2023 8:00 pm
bookert

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Just to add to this, and repeating some of what has already been said. I had to go through a similar process several years ago with keys for a D3.

One key stopped working, thought it was the battery, split the key fob and found one leg of the battery had broken off. Bought a new panasonic battery and soldered in, and bought a new case since the old one didn't look too good after splitting it! No re-programming required.

If I recall correctly, and I might not be, I thought it was possible to charge one key by taping it to another that was plugged into the ignition. I'm happy to be told this is complete rubbish, but I have a vague recollection of this in a discussion, as well as using a tooth brush charger to re-charge.

Sometime later the other key stopped operating the remote central locking but would start the car ok. This was definitely a key fob problem since the first key still worked perfectly. I split the fob and replaced the battery but the key still did not operate the central locking. So I ended up buying a new replacement key through ebay, not genuine LR. It came from the Netherlands I think (pre Brexit), and was certainly less than £20. I have a copy of the LR SDD software and used this to program the new key, but at least for the SDD software ALL the keys had to go through the programming procedure, one after the other, in order to add the new key. I don't know whether all the keys were reprogrammed or only verified, but they all had to go into the ignition and be recognised, one after the other. A bit of a leap of faith but all worked ok. I don't have any experience of the IID tool.

The blank blade on the new key I took to my local key cutting/shoe mending outlet and they copied from one of my originals. They did say the quality of the blank did sometimes make the copy not as reliable or have the longevity of the original - basically if the blank material was softer than the original. However the one I have has worked for years.

Anyhow, that's my experience.

Post #233162628th Mar 2023 11:37 pm
eightfoot

riverblanche wrote:
Hi,

no going to bed yet Laughing

what have you done about the key blade Question

Thumbs Up

had 2x keys with blades 1x working 1x only starting the car no remote unlock, purchased new full key then programmed the new to the 1x fully working key went through the process with 3x keys i now have 2x fully working and 1x (faulty remote one) that no longer starts the car so thats dead

i was expecting all 3x to work but whether something went wrong with the 3rd faulty key im not sure so i just took the pin out and removed the blade to put into the new fob

when i programmed the 3x keys i took the pin out from the faulty key so i could remove the blade to programme both key 2+3 as i don't really need 3x keys with blades working, 2x is enough just didn't want to be with 1x key as as sods law dictates that's when you break/loose it Thumbs Up hope this all makes sense also i have ordered another new full remote key and i will just keep that as a new virgin unprogrammed key as i know it works as having purchased one already and £15.65 is cheap enough to just put in the cupboard until its needed Laughing

Post #233163629th Mar 2023 8:45 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >