Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D3)

Replacement headlight bulb question.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
FidoNick

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3
Replacement headlight bulb question.

I am resorting to asking the following question because the search function is failing. WHo should I tell?

No, that's not the question Whistle

I've always had rubbish lights on the D3 - they are Xenon and give fantastic output in main beam, but deadly in dipped - they seem to just plunge the surounding area into darkness - I can't explain fully, but it's never been a pleasant driving experience at night with these.

So now I've got a failed bulb, I can think about replacing them both. What do people recommend please? Lucas (as sold by AF), Osram Night Breaker or Cool Blue Intense or somethign else? I'm looking for a good light, not a trendy blue thing, unless they really do make for better driving.

Thanks! Cool Cool Cool

Post #234892427th Sep 2023 10:44 pm
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

Hmmm ... never seen any report D3 xenons as poor on here, they seem to be regarded as the best lights on any D3/4.

Osram get the most votes, so I'd go with them. Amazon usually gets you the best deal.

But before you throw money at this, get the alignment of the headlights checked. Many have commented that main beam is seemingly designed to light up the sky rather than the road, so have yours been pointed downwards to address that resulting in the dipped beam being too low?

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #234893028th Sep 2023 7:38 am
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

D3 xenons are the best lights of all the Discovery range, D4 lamps are a major set back from D3 but they look pretty, xenon bulbs deteriorate with age, if you want maximum light go with LED they last far longer, give more light for less power, are cheaper and a superb flood light on dipped beam.
I fitted them in my D4 4 years ago.
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #234893228th Sep 2023 8:10 am
FidoNick

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Rimini RedDiscovery 3

Thanks, I've only heard others singing the praises for D3 lights, so it could be the setup. I tweaked it a bit last year, may need to do a proper alignment now.

I'll get a pair of Osrams - if one bulb has gone there's a good the chance the other will go soon, so at least I'll have a spare!

And I thought LEDs were not certified for use in UE/UK yet?

Post #234895628th Sep 2023 10:51 am
Hardware

United Kingdom 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Sumatra BlackDiscovery 4

I didn't think they were either.

But mot testers aren't allowed to open the headlamps to check, so provided nothing external gives it away ... Whistle

Dean
====================================

2011 D4 XS - OBD port protection, RLD spare wheel protector, All LED interiors lights, Timed Climate enabled, iiD tool paired.
2011 D4 Landmark - Stolen from same dealer before I paid for it
2011 D4 GS - Stolen whilst at dealer Sad ... All LED interiors lights, DRLs, Spare Wheel protector.
1996 300Tdi - Eaten by tin worms 

Post #234896428th Sep 2023 11:32 am
rrhool

United Kingdom 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I changed my OE xenon bulbs to Osram Night Breaker versions, and to be honest there wasn't much difference. D3 Xenons are fantastic lights. As suggested, have you got the neam pattern set correctly?
 Richard

D3 SE 2007. Triumph 2.5Pi 1973. Ferguson TEA20 1948.

Discovery 2 4.0 ES 2001- Gone
Discovery 1 300Tdi ES '95 - Gone
Range Rover Classic '79 - Gone 

Post #234898028th Sep 2023 12:56 pm
HairyFool

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto ZanzibarDiscovery 4

FidoNick wrote:
Thanks, I've only heard others singing the praises for D3 lights, so it could be the setup. I tweaked it a bit last year, may need to do a proper alignment now.

I'll get a pair of Osrams - if one bulb has gone there's a good the chance the other will go soon, so at least I'll have a spare!

And I thought LEDs were not certified for use in UE/UK yet?

I am not sure "yet" is the issue. Current halogen headlamps unit will almost certainly never be allowed to fit LED bulbs, they have to be specifically designed to take them.

All certified headlamps have a number of markings on them indicating their specific approvals including bulb types used in that approval. At best if the same lamp assembly is produced but with approvals for LED bulbs it might be possible to replace the complete assembly.

Where the marking is H(C, R, CR, C/R) then it is for Halogen bulbs, D indicates for Xenon. All easy enough but....

Headlamps designed for LED could also have the H codes but will also have LED clearly marked on them. So can a LED marked H lamp unit have halogen lamps? NO! If it has the LED marking on it then it is not compatible with the high heat output of halogen lamps.

Clear as mud

The long life of LED elements would indicate that headlamps could be produced with non replaceble light sources, that is already the case with some rear lamps.
 A visitor from the dark side, my other vehicle is an MG5 EV  
Post #234901128th Sep 2023 7:08 pm
M3DPO

England 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I fitted LEDs to all my D4 front lights 4 years ago without any problems including xenon, fog and cornering lamps. Very Happy
 It can when others can't,
It will when others won't,
It goes where others don't. 

Post #234904429th Sep 2023 4:05 am
Brian Considine

United Kingdom 

HairyFool wrote:

The long life of LED elements would indicate that headlamps could be produced with non replaceble light sources, that is already the case with some rear lamps.

Be under no illusion that it's for the benefit of the final user - it will be to save the manufactures £4.50 on every vehicle.

They will probably be coded to the vehicle too (& not recodable either) so no getting a used unit from a vehicle dismantlers when the vehicle gets on a bit.

Post #234909029th Sep 2023 1:11 pm
kajtzu

Finland 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

I have Osram xenarc cool blue intense D2S HIDs on my D3. TBH, not much more output but perhaps slightly colder shade. I had night breakers previously.

If you need more long beam, get a light bar. I’m partial to Lazer as I have a Linear 18 Elite up front and its output is amazing in the dark. Fully road legal, too, and can be lit simultaneously with the car’s own long beams. There are some pictures in my gallery, I think.

As for the LEDs, none will be road legal. The light pattern will be different from halogen and that’s that. It would be noticed here during annual inspection and if the cops stop you they’d probably give you a ticket on the spot.

Post #234912629th Sep 2023 6:58 pm
Flapper

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Hi
I have china's best D2S £24 for the pair they are amazing off the flee-bay
Also it is possible to not seat them correctly which causes the light pattern to be wrong and give rubbish light.
check they are seated correctly also they tend to pink fore they blow and you can change the colour for a whiter light.
hope this helps

f

Post #23495504th Oct 2023 12:59 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >