Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

How do you remove the xenon bulb and other bulb grief
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Broadsword

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4
How do you remove the xenon bulb and other bulb grief

Generally I have never had a problem removing bulbs but my efforts today took 2 hours and ended in frustration. My aim was to upgrade the xenons to the latest offerings from Advanced Factors and change the cornering light (H11) to an Osram 90% increase .The former claims increased performance and the originals are 55000 miles in.

Despite all my efforts the xenons could not be removed. I discovered there is two black plastic clips which have to be swung to the opposite direction to free the bulb assembly. Then, having removed the wiring connector, a straight pull off, you have what is shown in the first picture.

However the bulb will not come free! The second photo shows the replacement bulb, which has pins rather like a stop lamp bulb but the pins are plastic.

However much I turned in either direction, or pressed down and turned nothing moved. I then resorted to some rotating leverage from wide jaw pliers and the bulb would not budge. I tried gentle levering upwards with screwdriver but still no luck. You can make out the marks on the shoulders of the bulb after my efforts I put the original bulb back. How are these removed?

My second frustration was replacing the H11. After an hour of trying to insert the new bulb, I put the original back in seconds. Careful examination showed that the wider of the bulb locators, was slighty wider than the original, thereby obstructing it fitting. I trimmed off 2mm with snippers and it fits! You would think an Osram bulb should fit without modification
 Brian - East Sussex

----------------------------
2009 (09) 10MY Discovery 4 HSE
Nara Bronze
Ebony Upholstery
Side steps
Tow bar
Surround Cameras
TV
Full floor mats
Heated steering wheel (!) 

Post #125090310th Mar 2014 8:16 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

Simple answer. You have the wrong replacement lamp. I can't remember the differences offhand, but will post back shortly.

Post #125091610th Mar 2014 8:42 pm
MrH

United Kingdom 

The replacements you have look like D2S or D4S, whereas the D3S is what you need. See here... http://www.hids4u.co.uk/replacement-oem-xenon-hid-bulbs-by-size/

Post #125092010th Mar 2014 8:44 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >