Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Raspberry PI based satnav / Android auto in Discovery 3
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
brsc2909

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3
Raspberry PI based satnav / Android auto in Discovery 3

I've had this done for a while now but only getting around to writing it up. I've cobbled together a pretty decent and surprisingly reliable infotainment system based on a raspberry pi using Openauto Pro.

Click image to enlarge

when putting this together I really wanted everything to look factory and to be able to keep the OEM stereo so I wouldn't have to deal with any weird CANBUS gremlins. My original thought was that I could somehow use an OEM satnav and feed video from the raspberry pi. unfortunately, my d3 is a fairly basic spec that didn't come with satnav installed so getting this to work would require a lot of extra hardware and a lot more cost. However, the 7-inch display used in the sat nav is a fairly standard size so I decided I could buy a second-hand satnav display unit strip it out and fit a new screen and use the extra space inside the cage to fit all the electronics.

I researched a lot of 7-inch screens and decided to go ahead with the raspberry pi official 7inch touch screen due to it having the simples and least bulky method to interface with. However, this comes with a problem. the screen itself is the perfect size to fit the satnav but there is a rather large border of useless glass around the outside that would need to be removed. There wasn't much information in the datasheet as to what kind of glass was used so that I could determine how to best go about cutting it. I asked around on some forums but the replies were not helpful. I guess they skimmed over it and read something like "how can I cut my screen to make it smaller" which triggered them. there were also a number of replies about void warranties etc. which were very useful as I would have been expecting a free replacement if I somehow messed this up. The screen is relatively cheap so I decided to just go ahead with it and use it as a learning experience.

when the screen arrived eager to know if my plan would work I dove straight into it with a regular old glass cutter and It worked... on one edge anyways until I messed up and cracked the whole screen. I ordered a new screen and used the broken one for practice I managed to get a relatively clean edge and a working 7-inch touchscreen that fit my sat nav.

it's Crude but it works

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'm not going to go into too much detail here about the wiring and software but I will include a simple wiring diagram below. putting it all together was relatively easy and everything fit nicely into the empty satnav chassis. I also wired the existing buttons from the satnav into the IO header so I can program them to do some functions.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Simple wiring diagram. the stuff crossed out in red is a work in progress and not implemented yet

As I mentioned earlier my Discovery didn't come with a satnav and instead had a cubby hole instead. luckily all the mounts needed are located behind this so I just had to cut it out. it's not very difficult however once you start there is no going back.

I followed this thread and everything worked out alright.
Fitting OE screen Navigation and Phone

I wired the audio output of the RPI into the AUX input on the radio, a microphone to the roof console, a USB cable to my phone holder, connected the power and everything worked as expected.

I initially had some issues with noise on the audio line but this turned out to be a bad ground. I've been using it for about a year now and it's been working perfectly.

I'm currently working on some Canbus software to interface with via an Arduino for this so that I can more control over the air suspension, live diagnostics, and some other stuff but I'm pretty busy these days so that could take a while.

CANBUS interface prototype

If anyone wants to do something similar let me know and I can provide more information

Thanks for looking

Brendan

Post #221751914th Mar 2021 8:32 pm
Green Land Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Nice job. Looks neat Thumbs Up

Can I ask you a few questions please:

Do you have any problems with SD cards being corrupted?

How do you ensure a 'safe power down? I've had trouble in the past with RasPis corrupted when they lose power suddenly
 Discovery 4 HSE - Aintree Green
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Automatic - Tonga Green
Defender XS - Tonga Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 Td4 ES Manual - Epsom Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 Td4 Kalahari SE - Epsom Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 XEi - Epsom Green - Gone Now

www.greenlandrover.uk

Post #221754114th Mar 2021 9:57 pm
brsc2909

Ireland 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Barolo BlackDiscovery 3

I haven't had any corruption so far and when I do it will only take me a couple of minutes to flash a new image onto a new card and be up and running again. I don't record any data to the card so I'm not worried about losing data. however, I do plan on using the PI to record CANbus data and since this will be very write-heavy I plan on using an SSD as my storage instead of an SD card.

Something like this https://geekworm.com/products/for-raspberr...sion-board

As for some sort of soft shutdown I've been experimenting with a small relay circuit driven by the acc from the radio to trigger a pin on the IO that tells the PI to shutdown. this works well but getting the PI to turn on again is a little trickier and less reliable. since the pi is now actually switched of you can't read IO.

I have this wired in at the moment and the drop in power while starting the engine is enough to cause the pi to start up. it's not ideal and i do plan to use a cleaner solution but for now it works.

Post #221756014th Mar 2021 11:35 pm
SN

Nice integration - I did the simple Pi composite out to SatNav Screen Fakra connection many many years ago but that was as far as I got
 Steve N | 21MY Defender | 08MY Discovery 3 (history) | 06MY Discovery 3 (ancient history)   
Post #221758115th Mar 2021 1:35 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Green Land Rover

United Kingdom 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Thanks for the extra info Brendan Thumbs Up
 Discovery 4 HSE - Aintree Green
Freelander 2 TD4 SE Automatic - Tonga Green
Defender XS - Tonga Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 Td4 ES Manual - Epsom Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 Td4 Kalahari SE - Epsom Green - Gone Now
Freelander 1 XEi - Epsom Green - Gone Now

www.greenlandrover.uk

Post #221779215th Mar 2021 10:05 pm
McAdam

Spain 2005 Discovery 3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

Nice Job. I love Pis, and was considering doing something similar in mine - but having the Pi run "OpenAuto".

In the end I opted for a Android Head unit as I didn't want to add another YACUP (My wifes term for "Yet another crazy unfinished project").

I salute you Very Happy

P.s. When I was thinking of this, I considered getting a 18650 battery-based pi UPS. this would allow the pi to go into a deeper sleep and almost instantly wake up. Im not sure how you have wired it all in or what your start up times are.
An alternative would be an El Cheapo battery bank from Amazon, permanently wired up to pi and the car - charges when car is on, depletes when car is off.
RE Canbus - maybe look at an ESP32 - everything built-in, and can serve data to the pi over a network connection. Can be used to monitor other things when car is off and send you alerts when battery is low etc..
 Pre-Production
D3 V8 #264
LHD '04 HSE
Living its life as a 50/50 On/Off road car exploring the Canary Islands 

Post #221820817th Mar 2021 1:42 pm
LandyNoob

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I'm loving this thread. I was looking at OpenAuto on a Raspberry Pi 4 using the CarPi hat. It provides everything, permanent live for memory and shutdown circuit which is scripted to boot on engine start and do a full clean shutdown when the ignition is off. It also has integrated Canbus, analogue and digital inputs and a host of other features.

Hardware I'm good with, software not so. If I had the knowledge to program it I would, but I now have a Pioneer head unit with DAB and Apple Car Play. I used an installation kit to retain the existing nav display etc. It was a ballache to fit and still not completely finished. It is not possible to set the clock on the instrument cluster and I have had one canbus error about media which I cleared and it hasn't returned.

This thread got me excited when I saw the last post about using canbus to display 4x4 info as I have the SE which doesn't have 4x4 info enabled. Stupid really as you can simply turn it on in the IID software.

Be great to get an update on this project.

Post #234252317th Jul 2023 9:19 pm
Ady-:)

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 3

Very cool, seriously considering doing the same. Cool

Post #235017412th Oct 2023 6:49 am
carbore

United Kingdom 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

That's very cool, looks tidy too.

I made a data logger for a racing car a few years back with a Pi. It was mainly built around the sense hat for the 3 axis accelerometers but i added GPS and a Camera and even spliced it into the Tacho (Non ODB car)

Code here https://github.com/Dedward5/motorsportdatalogger

I did think about building an off road variant to use the Accelerometers for a tilt sensor but never got round to it.
 Disco 3: Lotus Elise S1: Ferguson T20: Audi A2  
Post #235287012th Nov 2023 3:05 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >