DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Powerfold mirrors
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
SazzaG

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 XS Auto BournvilleDiscovery 4
Powerfold mirrors

Need a bit of feedback here.

A couple of weeks ago, the driver's side mirror started to be unhappy about unfolding - sometimes needed help, and always took a long time with a lot of noise.

The car went into the stealers last Monday, along with a problem of the trim at the top of the windscreen kept coming off. Went to pick the car up Monday eve, trim all put back on, and mirror apparently fixed (no grinding noises). When I opened the car the next day, I noticed that the drivers side mirror was taking almost twice as long to open (and close) as the passenger side, although the action was smooth.

2 miles after leaving home, the trim came off again, so I had to call the stealers anyway, and booked it in for yesterday to have the mirror looked at again as well.

They called me yesterday afternoon "The windscreen is being refitted tomorrow to sort out the trim problem, and there's nothing wrong with the mirror. We compared it to a brand new D4, and the o/s mirror on that one took longer to fold as well. It's because it has further to travel". Hmmmm.

I couldn't argue with them on that, but I'm suspicious. In 15 months of ownership, I'm sure I would have noticed that! Can any one on here confirm that? When you lock the car, does the o/s mirror take a noticeably longer time to fold shut than the n/s?

Just want to know if I'm either being fobbed off, or are just very unobservant (not like me at all).

Thanks!

Post #80920421st Jun 2011 3:47 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

Quote:
It's because it has further to travel

thats rubbish - both mirrors travel the same distance. the glass adjusts diffeently but the mirror surrond itself travel the same. just tested on mine and both side fold and unfold at the same rate Thumbs Up

i think they are talking about the adjustment of the glass, rather than the folding
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #80920621st Jun 2011 3:50 pm
SazzaG

Thank you! Just as I suspected. After all, if they're right about the amount of travel, then they would have to fit different mirrors in the LHD market. I think not.

I'll ask them to show me on a different car when I pick mine up tomorrow morning. They just don't want to pay for a new motor, I reckon!

Post #80921121st Jun 2011 3:53 pm
DiscoDunc

England 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Aintree GreenDiscovery 4

mine off side mirror was sticking and sometimes wouldnt fold back all the way - the dealer unfolded it completed and sprayed some wd40 it it and some white grease - manually folded and unfolded it a few times and its been fine ever since
 Duncan
-----------------------------------------------------
If I'd known I was going to be so thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more beer last night.
FFRR Autobiography 4.4 SDV8 MY17
D4 HSE MY13 SOLD
FFRR 3.6 Vogue TDV8 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D4 SE TECH MY15 SOLD
D4 XS MY12 SOLD
D4 HSE MY10 SOLD
D3 HSE MY06 - Re-Cycled Worldwide 

Post #80921621st Jun 2011 3:58 pm
SazzaG

I think they just lubricated it, which did stop the juddering.

Should be interesting tomorrow when I get them to show me the same thing on another D4. Also, I'm managed to kill their FL2 courtesy car. It went into limp mode (low fuel - oops!) but hasn't come out of it after filling up! How was I to know the range figure was accurate? On my Disco, I can get another 40 miles out of it once it's gone to zero Shocked

Post #80949421st Jun 2011 11:25 pm
SazzaG

Well what do you know! They were right! I got them to show me on a another car, and the same thing happened. The o/s mirror takes about a second longer to fold than the nearside. Still not solved the mystery as to why, but I guess that doesn't really matter now.

Post #80962922nd Jun 2011 12:51 pm
AlanC

England 2011 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

By coincidence (and courtesy of a gate post Whistle ) I had the trim off my mirrors last week. I noticed the difference in travel time between the mirrors and thinking I was looking at damage, removed both trims to find the stop was visible on the n/s but not the o/s. On closer inspection, it's the angle of the mirror brackets that are different, the n/s is angled further in, the adjustments not in the glass. The mechanisms are handed and mounted the same relative to the door. net result, visible n/s stop with the trims off, n/s travels less and stops before the o/s.

Having not noticed the difference in travel time before and once I'd spent the best part of an hour agonising over potential damage 'er indoors pipes up and says "it's always done that". Typical.

Post #80964822nd Jun 2011 1:40 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >