DISCO3.CO.UK > Wheels & Tyres

pirelli scorpion 18 inch tyres
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Glymmer_Man

Australia 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Tyre Wear and Air Pressure?

What tyre pressures are you guys using?

I don't understand why some get such poor tyre life?

I have mine (all 5) on 40psi, and as I said 18,000mi and still only half worn?

On my first one, I had the same with 23,000mi.
 Dave

Disco Dreaming 

Post #1359265th Mar 2007 10:16 pm
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

40 psi is really high. recommended is 29 front and 36-38 rear depending on load. I run mine at 32 front and 38 rear. slightly firmer and better handling but needs to be reduced on dirt roads. I am now getting even wear accross the width odf the tyre. I think off road use increases wear especially rock crawling where you can leave some skid marks. Shocked
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Last edited by caverD3 on 6th Mar 2007 11:50 am. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #1359315th Mar 2007 10:25 pm
scolliss

Switzerland 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Adriatic BlueDiscovery 3

SPOTTER wrote:
I was hugely impressed by BFG tyres, A set of MT's I had on my Defender did 92K miles and were replaced as there wasn't really enough tread left for proper off road grip rather than wearing out or going very bald........

Me too, my TD5 was running on BFG AT's and I had 72,000 miles out of them. My D3 is running on Nokian and they are awesome in the snow and ice. Not many miles yet so time will tell on the wear front.

Post #1360896th Mar 2007 10:25 am
chesters

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Arctic FrostDiscovery 3
Tyre Wear 255 60 18's

I have been monitoring my Scorpions very close, and have decided to take it to the next stage. My 14 year old son has created a great XLS spread sheet and form for inputting 12 measurement across the 4 tyres. When the data is input it works out average, min and max tyre wear, next to the date and mileage, across the tyres.

From this data I have found that the centre af the tyres are wearing slightly more than the outside edges. To try to compensate for this I have dropped the preasures by 2 lb each tyre.

You may think this is a bit OTT, but I am going to France in July and will be doing about 2500 miles, and it looks like my scorpions will be knackered either just before I go or even when I'm there. £500 to £600 just before my holidays is not a good situation to be in.

So to sum up I think I will only get 16,000 miles out of my Scorpions, they are great tyres but, Censored they do wear quick.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time.  
Post #13776011th Mar 2007 10:18 am
hudsonian

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

I have the 255/60-18's on my SE, I have 8000 miles on the clock with 38 to 40 psi in them.... I would say the front are more than half worn....

The problem with the SE is the 18" rims, there is not a huge choice of 255/60-R18 tyres on the market with sufficient load rating, hence why we got the scorpions fitted in the factory. I have been hunting preparing myself for the replacements... a recent discussion in my local Costco revealed Michelin have a Latitude Tourer tyre (255/60 VR18XL) on the market, however I can not find it on the Michelin web site, US import???? I was still quoted £141.45 inc VAT each though.

I would love to get the scorpions again as they are so quiet however they wear too quick, need a harder compound... any one know how Michelin wear????

Post #13783911th Mar 2007 9:46 pm
chesters

Michelin tyres are normally quite good in the wear department ( had them onmy Range Rover Classic ). But you better check that they have a load rating of 112 required for the Disco3. In my search for tyres Michelin never came up but I would be interested if they are suitable.
 Arctic Frost Discovery 3 TDV6 SE, Active Rear Diff, Adaptive Head Lights, Tow Pack, Ebony Leather, Roof Rails, Mantec Guard. Tasmod Stainless Sill plates. Grabber AT's. Home made mud flaps. Side Steps back on until the next time. 

Last edited by chesters on 11th Mar 2007 10:08 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #13784911th Mar 2007 10:03 pm
hudsonian

Having a further hunt on the web sites I have been following, the choice is expanding, look at this web site;

http://www.bestbuytyres.co.uk/Home.aspx

Dunlop Grand Trek and Bridgestone D-Sport XL look quite interesting, any experience out there on how quick these makes tend to wear?

Post #13785011th Mar 2007 10:03 pm
hudsonian

chesters wrote:
Michelin tyres are normally quite good in the wear department. But you better check that they have a load rating of 112 required for the Disco3.

Yes... I am aware of that one and Costco could not give the answer Twisted Evil ... that is why I tried to find them on the interweb... without success Confused

Post #13785211th Mar 2007 10:07 pm
chesters

hudsonian if you find out can you let me know, as I have a Costco card also.

Cheers Paul.

Sometimes Costco have a special deal on if you buy 4 tyres.
Post #13785611th Mar 2007 10:10 pm
hudsonian

chesters wrote:
hudsonian if you find out can you let me know, as I have a Costco card also.

Cheers Paul.

Sometimes Costco have a special deal on if you buy 4 tyres.

Yes I have noticed the intermittent Costco discount if you buy 4 tyres (up to 25%???)... As I can’t find the tyre on the interweb I wonder if it exists.... can’t blame the Costco guy though as he showed me it listed on the computer after I asked for the load rating, hence my thought it could be a Costco US import????

Post #13786311th Mar 2007 10:19 pm
chesters

hudsonian

The tyres on my old rangie were michelin Syncrones, they were very quite on the road and lasted well.
Post #13786711th Mar 2007 10:25 pm
hudsonian

For an update on the Michelin tyres look at the following thread

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/post143406.html#143406

Post #14341127th Mar 2007 12:54 pm
rohan

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Tonga GreenDiscovery 3

Hi guys,
I only got 23k kms on the original Goodyear wrangler tires. Have changed to Pirellio scorpion zero tires. I get better fuel consumption with the new tires. Been using the the tires only a month. tar grip is awesome. will revert after doing some driving in the mud.

Rohan

Post #16735215th Jun 2007 1:20 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >