DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D4)

Parking brake well and truly stuck!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
jamez79

United Kingdom 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4
Parking brake well and truly stuck!

Hi,

Parked the Disco and applied the EPB. Heard that blood curdling squeal and yep, it was stuck on. Was about 0.3 mile from home. Tried pulling the emergency release and it wouldn't free it. Attaching one end to Thor's hammer and chucking it wouldn't release it, I was pulling that hard with a bar through the loop. Big Cry

I carry my IID Tool with me so tried the unjamming procedure = Nope!
Tried the unlatch option = Nope!

I'm mindful off not damaging anything so didn't want to try too many times. It's well and truly stuck.

After much trying, I had no choice but to drive it home. It's on the driveway with access all around. Thumbs Up

I'm on nights tonight so having to get a lift to work, but planning on taking a look tomorrow. I've seen Disco Mikey's post on getting underneath and trying to free it.

Any other tips or good how to's on how to fix the b@gger? Sensible answers only please Laughing

I wouldn't mind if i'd neglected it, but I replaced discs, pads and shoes 18-20 months ago and followed the bedding in procedure to the letter. I only apply when stationary and release it by hand before moving off, rather than auto release.

Arrrrrrgggghhh.

Post #22229757th Apr 2021 2:46 pm
Kilovolt

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

Mine locked (not that long after a new install) and I found by reversing up a yard or two, it unlocked it (from the forward binding).

Worth a try Thumbs Up
 "Track day running - Don't put your foot back on the accelerator until your absolutely sure you don't have to take it off again"

Current Ride: D4 XS Commercial Baltic Blue SDV6 fully loaded with heated everything Smile
Track Days: BMW E36 M3 Evolution MY 1996 (3.2 Litre 377 BHP sat in 1,250 Kgs of car, with a pro safety cage and some serious braking power) Smile 

Post #22229807th Apr 2021 3:18 pm
jamez79

I shall give it a whirl. Cheers Thumbs Up

Post #22229957th Apr 2021 4:19 pm
jamez79

EPB did not want to budge so following Disco Mike's guide on here.

I've finally got the rusted screws out and currently trying to get the cover off.

Any useful tips on how to get it off?

Cheers

Post #222366110th Apr 2021 9:42 am
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Start at the top right corner, it takes some shifting, I used to use a long lever to get them off.
It also helps if the rubber mount have come off as you can then tilt it to get a better leverage on it.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #222368710th Apr 2021 12:35 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jamez79

I finally managed to get it off and free the brass rod. I released the brake and it undid some more. Thumbs Up

The rubber mounts came off so I could tilt it as you said. How do I get them back on? I can see the two nuts on the top at the back when looking in from the spare wheel well.

Got to try and see why it failed and got stuck now. Nothing obvious on the brake shoes or cabling. Nothing loose. Maybe just badly adjusted?

Post #222369410th Apr 2021 1:05 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I am no expert, but adjustment is top priority, check annually by adjusting up tight then back of eight clicks?

Post #222370410th Apr 2021 2:19 pm
jamez79

Well, I've taken both sides off and inspected everything. Passenger side and all seems fine, the driver's side however...

The shoes and disc/drum are fine, BUT when I came to reassemble, the disc/drum did not want to fit back on with the ease the passenger side did. A bit of a check showed the below issue...

The shoes have a gap at the base and don't rest where they should. Only one side will. I'm suspecting a stretched spring?

I'll replace both shoes on both sides to be safe and see how that results. Oh and whilst I was at it, I noticed a bit of play in the upper wishbone on the N/S so that'll have to be sorted too. The joys of owning a Disco. Laughing

Post #222377610th Apr 2021 6:43 pm
lynalldiscovery

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Metropolis LE Auto Bonatti GreyDiscovery 3

I am led to believe you can put the EPB into demount mode with the IID tool to make refitting shoes/drums easier.
I wish I had known that before changing my shoes a few years ago, same as you passenger side went easy, drivers side a right sod!

Post #222379310th Apr 2021 7:43 pm
Flack

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Dont do any adjusting until both disc's are back on, and make sure the little wedge adjuster is fully off, its the one with the allen headed bolt to adjust.

A lot of people only adjust the ratchet adjuster instead of doing both adjusters.

Alos dont worry about the rubber bushes as long as it sits back in position it will be fine.

Flack Thumbs Up

Post #222386911th Apr 2021 8:10 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jamez79

Hi All,

I ordered new springs (brake kit) as the shoes aren't worn and have plenty of life in them. Finally got the disc back on. Ended up taking it all off and checking everything over. The little metal piece from the allen head adjuster had moved a bit so I put that back in place and I made sure the spring from the spreader plate wasn't fouling and with a bit of encouragement, it all went back together.

I cautiously applied the EPB and it all works! Cheers Disco_Mikey Bow down

I've applied and released it half a dozen times and adjusted it all as per Bodsy's Brake Bible. I've now got plenty of room before the EPB reaches the end of it's travel. Must have been badly adjusted and that's why it stuck.

Just got to find some screws to replace the rusty ones I took out of the EPB module cover and I'm good to go.... upto my father in law's to do the rear upper wishbones. Rolling with laughter

Cheers as always for the tips and advice. Thumbs Up

Post #222485215th Apr 2021 6:53 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >