Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Faults & Fixes (D3)

[Aux. System] [Solved] Park Distance Control fails
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Phil W

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Manual Belize GreenDiscovery 3

My 2005 Disco 3 has just developed the same problem this weekend - it only has PDC on the rear. When in reverse the PDC starts a continuous high pitched squeal until turned off. I can only feel the wiring behind the two outer most sensors and they seem OK. Seeing as we've just had a the driest June for many years I can't see water ingress being an issue. I can't reach the inner two to check. How easy is it t oget the rear bumber off without a pit or ramp?

Apart from a wiring loom problem what else could it be and is it something I can do myself without having to go and get my wallet empited by a main dealer who refuses even look at a problem unless I agree to pay an 'investigation fee'. Shocked

Post #66571428th Jun 2010 6:08 pm
popsdosh

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Graphite LE Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Mine has done this aswell I think you will find its the temperatures as I parked out of the sun and everything was OK again.

Post #66608829th Jun 2010 1:04 pm
Phil W

popsdosh
You may well be right. All OK this morning. Car parked outside office in baking sunlight all day yesterday. Why would this cause a problem?

Post #66619529th Jun 2010 6:09 pm
car-breaker

England 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

mzplcg wrote:
wilsonmg wrote:
Slightly different issue has just appeared.......

when I select reverse, I get a higher than usual 'beep', that is constant for about 5 sec's, then stops then the amber PDC light starts to flash ?????

the front sensors are still fine and work ok... only the rear ones having a hissy fit..... anyone any idea's Bow down

Can be any number of things apparently. I have this exact issue and am waiting for a new ECU to arrive. Fronts are fine until I use the rears when the fault disables the system. The system resets itself after restarting the engine.

Hi , mines doing exactly this aswell now , any help please , i hate going to the dealers if i can help it , how do you get these out to check wires etc , i dont wanna cause more damage if they are hard to remove etc .
cheers
Paul

Post #69399417th Sep 2010 5:24 pm
J57C

PDC

Does anyone know how to decide if it's the parking sensors, or the control unit which is U/S? I know the sensors are supposed to tick but is there a more scientific way of testing them? I understand the sensors are about £40 each but how much is the PDC control box?

My PDC system- rear only- can be[a] short beep,[b] continuous beep until first selected [c] no beep of anykind!

12 October 2010

I have just had an auto sparks round with a magic box. He plugged it in and said all sensors are OK it's the control box which is not talking to the system properly. New PDC needed.

A new PDC has to be fitted by a LR Dealer [ it has to be porgrammed in] which is going to be ££££££, so I've opted for an aftermarket kit at about £200. Will keep you posted.

Last edited by J57C on 12th Oct 2010 2:47 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #69490820th Sep 2010 3:00 pm
Phil W

All.
I never cured my problem - it went away by itself. I think its to do with the control unit in the rear nearside door.
I had a problem with the windoew in that door and itturned out to be a chaffed loom where it enters the door. Waggling the loom a couple of times seeemed to cure the parking sensor problem. I toccured again a couple of weeks ago and the same trick sseemed to cure it. My local garage have said they can only investigate if the problem reappears.

Post #69568822nd Sep 2010 6:59 am
joakes

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
Rear PDC beep continuously

Hi, I am getting this fault where the rear reversing bleepers beep continuously when r, auto, is seleted. I can switch them off by pressing the button on the dash. I am assuming one of the sensors is faulty. Does anyone know how to remove them or how to check which one it is ?

Jonathan Mad
 joakes  
Post #7004306th Oct 2010 9:12 am
klacey

2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
faulty park distance control

After 5 years my front park distance control has failed - error message on dash saying it is inactive. Any ideas as to waht has caused this? It beeps all the time and I ahve to turn the switch off which means I can't use the rear sensors....

Post #70483718th Oct 2010 12:50 am
Mike767

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3

Same here. Car is nearly 5 years old and getting a front PDC inactive message. Any ideas on a fix anyone?

Post #82600815th Aug 2011 7:06 pm
Henry08Disco

United Kingdom 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

Hi My 08 has jest developed a problem, on switching on ignition, get longer than normal beep at rear of sensors, dash switch flashess contently, Select reverse get the same problem but I have no nose for any of the sensors? Anyone able to help? Confused
 Henry 08 Disco 3  
Post #85843613th Nov 2011 4:25 pm
Gaznav

2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zermatt SilverDiscovery 3

Yup had this on my 2006 Disco 3 last year. Water in one of the sensors had caused internal corrosion - too much jet washing! Embarassed

Bought a new sensor and then swapped it out until I found the right one - luckily it came in primer grey so it looks like the other silver ones! It's a s*d of job as the rear bumper has to come off.

Post #89135331st Jan 2012 10:14 pm
BLFarrar

Location: Deepest, Dankest, Darkest, Dingiest......Le Halifax, West Yorkshire...with strong links to Ireland

France 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Lugano TealDiscovery 3
Re: PDC

J57C wrote:
......A new PDC has to be fitted by a LR Dealer [ it has to be porgrammed in] which is going to be ££££££, so I've opted for an aftermarket kit at about £200. Will keep you posted.

I was told the PDC hasnt got to be programmed in...
they cost £70..00 ish & are a bit awkward to fit (behind rear NS passenger seat)
you need a torx spanner of right size to remove the seat belt anchor point....

My advise is to take to an independant LR providor that has the appropriate test kit...it will identify the problem & its usually a sensor.
I used Four x 4 in leeds - they know what they are doing on most things LR....fixed my PDC for less than £40....I wasted money on a new control box.
If you are convinced that its the PDC control box I have a spare you can try using. Mail me
 BREXIT - done properly.
Right now ...We need Government - not Politics
Save the Dipstick Flagbearer-keep it simple, less likely to fail campaign-agenda items:Starting Handles, Acetylene Lamps.
Founder: Dipsticks-R-Us Inc
D3 HSE-perfectly formed, passenger friendly...has real DIPSTICK
Jag XK-but sadly no DIPSTICK...HUGE design fault
FL2 has DIPSTICK..."real comfort in rear seats"
VW Golf wondermobile (?)..has real DIPSTICK
Morris Minor..original DIPSTICK technology..and a real KEY. 

Post #8914491st Feb 2012 8:54 am
ktm_525

Canada 2010 LR4 5.0 V8 HSE Auto Ipanema SandLR4

My front PDC was acting up. Sometimes giving phantom signals and other times not switching on at all. It was resolved when I fitted a new battery to replace the original out of my 06 HSE. It has been 100% since the battery replacement.

YMMV

Post #9065247th Mar 2012 9:00 pm
MarkOne

Scotland 2014 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

I have the same problem on this one i have just bought 2005 D3 HSE with 92k. it's an auto when i put it in reverse it just goes into a high pitch whine as if your close to something. That said it doesn't do it everytime, it seems to me it's just a bad fault with them, the front ones work fine. Laughing

Post #9163561st Apr 2012 10:48 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
A.J.M

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

My 04 HSE has started to display a front sensor inactive message if trying to use the sensors.
Was a bit hit/miss for it working yesterday but today it's not working at all.

How loud is the clicking noise they make, going to try and fault find it tonight.
Also, is it a bumper off job to get at the sensors?

Post #97164731st Aug 2012 10:09 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >