Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > My Discovery 3

New to Disco 3 ownership
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Disco-Jim

United Kingdom 
New to Disco 3 ownership

Today I collected my 2006 (56plate) disco 3. It’s a standard one with the 2.7 TDV6 engine. 22” wheels which I will be removing before they get cracked on the road around here!

It had a recon engine fitted 20k miles ago by the old lady I bought it from. Paperwork shows it had a clutch and dual mass fitted 40k miles ago. There is a feeling like the dual mass has movement on take up. Also when you drive steady and take your foot off the throttle you can feel the ‘clunk. Should I be looking at diffs, props etc?

A few little bits to do and I’m sure there will be questions along the way I need to ask!
Click image to enlarge

Post #23633562nd Mar 2024 7:00 pm
Worms

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 Base 7 Seat Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3

How is the cruise control? My old FL2 had a slipping dual-mass fly-wheel for all the time I had it and I very quickly got so used to it that it was never an issue for the 120,000 miles of my ownership (I don't have anything to tow). I always reckoned that sooner or later it would need a new clutch, and I would wait for that before attending to the fly-wheel, but it never did. You very quickly learn the combination of gear and revs that keeps it out of the torque where the fly-wheel slips. The cruise control, however, doesn't adapt, so if you are on a slight uphill slope and switch the cruise on for a higher speed than you are travelling, the fly-wheel will slip and cut-out of cruise.
 Previously:
2010 FL2 TD4e GS
‘93 Defender 110 200TDi CSW - still got this, non-runner on SORN.
‘87 Defender 90 4 cyl Petrol
‘83 110 CSW V8 - best ever!
Range Rover 2-door V8 (not sure of year - 4-speed box and vacuum diff switch)
Series III SWB Diesel 

Post #23633693rd Mar 2024 8:35 am
Disco-Jim

United Kingdom 

Mines a poverty spec model so no cruise control. I’m going to do all the oils in diffs etc this weekend. Check for play in drivetrain while under it.

Post #23634744th Mar 2024 1:41 pm
PROFSR G

Ukraine 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 Commercial XS Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

I'd recommend 20" wheels on it, (still decent sidewall) it will have better handling over the standard 17" 18" & 19" (too much sidewall) IMHO, but wont noticeably compromise original comfort. You'll need to inform your insurer, but you'd need to do that anyway with 22" on there.

There are always parts for sale on here, so you could upgrade things like cruse control but you'll need a decent diagnostic tool for that as well. Actually, you'll need a decent diagnostic tool anyway. Laughing GAP IID is the preferred choice on here for both Pro's and DIY mechanics.

If the clutch is slipping (or starting to slip) you won't always notice it, but look carefully at the rev counter.
If it skips at all anywhere across the rev range the clutch is slipping. Thumbs Up
 yµ (idµ - eAµ) ψ=mψ

Post #23634844th Mar 2024 2:47 pm
nigethecat

Ukraine 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Commercial XS Auto Corris GreyDiscovery 4

Removing the side steps and looking for rust behind the fixings would be high on my list! Nice looking car, plenty of advice and help on here ...
 I want to see the sweets before I get into your windowless van... I'm not stupid!

Corris Grey D4 Commercial SE 2016
Zermatt Sliver 2007 D3 SE manual (gone)
Indus Silver D4 HSE 2015 (gone)
Bonatti Grey D3 HSE 2006 (gone)
White D3 S (LHD) 2007 (gone)
Firenze Red D4 HSE 2014 (gone)
Black RRS 3.6TDV8 2008 (gone)
Rusty Green Defender 110 1997 (gone)
Black FL2 HSE 2013 (gone) 

Post #23634904th Mar 2024 3:30 pm
KevinD3

England 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Deleted…wrong space Smile
 2008 HSE Stornoway Grey

My Wife thinks the D3 is a hobby, The D3 thinks the wife is 💕 

Post #23636575th Mar 2024 10:52 pm
Disco-Jim

United Kingdom 

nigethecat wrote:
Removing the side steps and looking for rust behind the fixings would be high on my list! Nice looking car, plenty of advice and help on here ...

New side steps going on today or tomorrow Smile just got to get the workshop empty to get her in Smile

Post #23637667th Mar 2024 9:00 am
Disco-Jim

United Kingdom 

PROFSR G wrote:
I'd recommend 20" wheels on it, (still decent sidewall) it will have better handling over the standard 17" 18" & 19" (too much sidewall) IMHO, but wont noticeably compromise original comfort. You'll need to inform your insurer, but you'd need to do that anyway with 22" on there.

There are always parts for sale on here, so you could upgrade things like cruse control but you'll need a decent diagnostic tool for that as well. Actually, you'll need a decent diagnostic tool anyway. Laughing GAP IID is the preferred choice on here for both Pro's and DIY mechanics.

If the clutch is slipping (or starting to slip) you won't always notice it, but look carefully at the rev counter.
If it skips at all anywhere across the rev range the clutch is slipping. Thumbs Up

Cheers, I’ve been looking at 19’s but will look at 20’s too. Cruise control steering wheel is here. I’m certain it’s not clutch slip, feels more like drivetrain slack. Maybe prop?

Post #23637677th Mar 2024 9:01 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >