Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Discovery 5 - L462

New D5 and omg
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

It's a cheap enough option to add at build time - the two-speed transfer box is only £310, one doesn't even need to pick the one of the packs. Of course, it's likely that many won't pick it, or one of the appropriate option packs meaning in the second hand market will be full of "lesser capability" Disco 5s in a few years.

I bet many will have the "family pack" applied, which will make for some great second hand family wagons / taxis in a few years time.

Anyone picking the towing pack will get hi/lo range too as it's a required addition - suggesting that LR realise that low range is useful for those who tow.

So far as the D5 is concerned, I'm not fussed as I won't buy one anyway. But the RRS appears to be going the same way although currently if one opts for the "Dynamic" version then you do get hi/lo range as standard. Very quickly becomes an £80k vehicle without choosing anything too silly from the options list.

The Defender increasingly looks like the sweet spot for price/spec/capability.
 Visiting from rrsport.co.uk
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #22234249th Apr 2021 9:57 am
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

I have the tow pack and it doesnt have hi/low so it can be built without the dual transfer and the tow pack - this was straight from the factory and not via a dealer.

If the dealer adds in the tow pack then there is no chance.

Thats my warning - i think many just wont realise to spec it or wont think its important and i would bet 60-80% will not have it in a few years if its not standard.
 Mike  
Post #22234299th Apr 2021 10:09 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

Interesting. Just had a play and it's the advanced tow assist that adds hi/lo on the D5. My mistake, sorry.

In the low spec RRS, if you want hi/lo, you have to add the off road pack (£950) or the tow pack (£1355 headline but really £3060 because it also adds the off road pack (£950) and surround cameras (£755) on top of the £1355).

Cor, the options and combinations are really quite complicated (and pricey) these days!
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8
"When you fire that first shot, no matter how right you feel, you have no idea who's going to die! You don't know who's children are going to scream and burn. How many hearts will be broken. How many lives shattered. How much blood will spill, until everybody does what they were always going to have to do from the very beginning: SIT DOWN AND TALK!" 

Post #22234339th Apr 2021 10:41 am
James W

United Kingdom 

I agree... it's a good point raised by MSE that anyone looking for a second hand 7 seat workhorse in the future for towing/family/adventure/green laning/etc. may start to see a big chunk of the vehicles in the market missing a Low Range. This is assuming that most new-buyers of D5s don't know what low range is let alone spec it, as a few here (me included) suspect will happen. This could of course turn out not to be the case in the long run. But it is a shame if it is as that 2nd hand enthusiast market that kept the D3 and D4 so popular will be impacted.

Taking low range off such an otherwise capable machine as the D5 feels to me like buying a downhill mountain bike and putting skinny slick tyres on it. It's no longer a downhill mountain bike, just something that mostly looks like one.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #22234379th Apr 2021 10:54 am
mse

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

It does get complicated...but then again i would accept more to be options on the low spec.

On the top spec, you expect more of the basic elements, well i think.

I have Terrain response, although i need to check to see if all the settings are there...mud ruts or rock crawl without low range...you may as well get the DS
 Mike  
Post #22234389th Apr 2021 10:56 am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 

I doubt you'll have rock crawl without low range. The other TR entries should be there as it'll be the same as the DS/Ewok/Velar.
2012 RRS SDV6
2008 RRS TDV8

Post #22234419th Apr 2021 11:01 am
Ivan

United Kingdom 

Had a similar issue when I was looking for an RRS. There were so many without low range. I was quite surprised to find so many did not have low range and really had to study the photos to check it had low range.
 2013 RR Vogue SE SDV8
2013 Freelander 2 HSE Luxury SD4 

Post #22234479th Apr 2021 11:09 am
LIAMMCL

England 2009 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Nara BronzeDiscovery 4

The D5 now has no place between the new Defender and the RRS

Post #22234509th Apr 2021 11:14 am
James W

United Kingdom 

James W wrote:
I agree... it's a good point raised by MSE that anyone looking for a second hand 7 seat workhorse in the future for towing/family/adventure/green laning/etc. may start to see a big chunk of the vehicles in the market missing a Low Range. This is assuming that most new-buyers of D5s don't know what low range is let alone spec it, as a few here (me included) suspect will happen. This could of course turn out not to be the case in the long run. But it is a shame if it is as that 2nd hand enthusiast market that kept the D3 and D4 so popular will be impacted.

Taking low range off such an otherwise capable machine as the D5 feels to me like buying a downhill mountain bike and putting skinny slick tyres on it. It's no longer a downhill mountain bike, just something that mostly looks like one.

Okay I didn't reveal this before in case I bought it Laughing But I've just been to test a very nice HSE Lux D5, 3.0 - all the toys, black pack - everything. During my ongoing search for the right FFRR to replace my D4 these kept coming up as 2 years younger and/or half the mileage of the FFRRs I'm looking at (budget £45-50k) - I had to go and check one out properly. I actually convinced myself last night that this was the sensible way to go, and I was excited when I turned up at the garage so I hope confirmation bias didn't kick in too readily.

Looked very good actually from 3 sides, I've never really stood staring at one like that before, it had much more impact than I've given credit for before. The black pack really helped as did the 22" alloys.

Inside felt very well built and modern, and comfy, but I'm only 5'10" and my head was almost touching the roof without having the seat in the floor. The 'window sill' felt too high especially compared to the folding arm rest that felt far too low. The cockpit felt much more spacious in front of me than the D4, but a smaller space overall (as mad as that sounds) - I think the dash being more angled as opposed to the upright D4 is the cause. The boot felt a lot smaller than the D4 but I know it's not on paper. The rear seats felt very low to the ground... My knees were raised like sitting on a kid's chair (and again, I'm not tall). It massively reminded me of my mate's GLC merc looking out from the front.

Lovely bit of kit - yes. Far more advanced than my D4. I got far more excited about it than I expected... but I didn't want to waste the guys time and didn't even test drive it. Back to the FFRR search.
 D4 XS, gone, much loved, never forgotten
2018 FFRR SDV8 Autobiography - WTF does this button do 

Post #22234799th Apr 2021 12:45 pm
mse

LIAMMCL wrote:
The D5 now has no place between the new Defender and the RRS

I think I agree with you

Our just gone d5 was ace, 20k trouble free miles, all the toys split front screen, tv, rse, steering assist, fridge etc etc etc oh and low range

About what you can expect for an £80k car

Oh armrest...there is a good one. In the one just gone I should have taken a photo....armrest above the fridge/central console....in this one not as much, yet I assume the seats not changed

One thing to note...make sure the seat isn’t in access mode when you compare the arm rest etc
 Mike 

Last edited by mse on 9th Apr 2021 6:52 pm. Edited 1 time in total 
Post #22235729th Apr 2021 6:50 pm
mse

RRSTDV8 wrote:
I doubt you'll have rock crawl without low range. The other TR entries should be there as it'll be the same as the DS/Ewok/Velar.

It’s def get the others, next time I go in it, maybe tomorrow I’ll see...I’m sure I’ll have to let the tractor save the car
 Mike  
Post #22235739th Apr 2021 6:51 pm
astonbuilder

England 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

D5 is, as some others already pointed out, moving more towards 'mainstream' car, it's certainly been FFRR luxury level for a while now and is the only true 'full size' seven seater in the range so it does still have a place. Possibly stretching its previous brand statement of the Disco' family being at top of the tree for off-road ability that was it's mantra, but that mantle will pass to Defender.

Given there is more profit in a Defender (before you even add options and more Defenders are 'optioned up' than a D5) and the order book is much stronger on Defender, especially so given its hiatus with Covid, etc. then JLR in current environment/recovery/survival mode do better flogging a Defender than a D5

Post #222432513th Apr 2021 11:50 am
mse

Maybe...I still think the discovery is nice and a nice drive etc...it shouldn’t have lost low range though, that remains a step to far.

In other news, the new rear lights are full brakes, bigger reverse lights too...that’s my ocd sorted
 Mike  
Post #222458114th Apr 2021 5:50 pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 2010 Discovery 4 3.0 TDV6 HSE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 4

robpenrose wrote:
Is the D5 still permanent 4wd? I’m sure I read somewhere that the driveline has changed if you don’t have the transfer box and it’s often in 2wd?

This thread is what I was referring to

https://www.disco4.com/forum/my2021-full-time-4wd-193684.html

Current: D4 HSE
Previous: BMW Z4M Coupe
Previous: Land Rover Defender 90 CSW Td5
Previous: Land Rover Discovery Td5 ES 

Post #222461314th Apr 2021 7:38 pm
Pollski

United Kingdom 2016 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 Landmark LE Auto Indus SilverDiscovery 4

Quote:
There is a debate whether it's either advanced off road or basic for the platform... equally this is the discovery, it's also a £85-90k car there is a level of capabilities it should come with by default it isn't a disco sport or rre or even a jag

I completely agree. Also, I'm assuming you are ordering through the same dealer given you are no Disco stranger. If that is the case then they should know your requirements and perhaps highlighted the fact the new car would be without. It looks like it may catch not only the buyers but the dealers. as well ...

Thanks for the heads up. Roll on 1 year Shocked
 My16 HSE Landmark - 2016 - Current. Indus Silver
My11 HSE - 2011- 2016. Stornoway Grey 

Post #225685713th Oct 2021 4:00 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 2 of 6 <123456>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >