Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > Maintenance & Mods (D4)

Knuckle
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
DrRick

Scotland 
Knuckle

So, over the last few days our 60-plate (2010) D4 started to exhibit what I can only describe as lumpy. The steering felt a mix of heavy and light intermittently. I thought it might be the PS pump so got it booked into the local stealer. Earliest courtesy car is next week so figured a few days of manhandling the car around for a few days.

However, this morning my wife tried to take the kids to school and said she could smell hot / burning plastic and the steering getting even heavier than yesterday. Dealer said call LR Assist. They turned up and diagnosed a steering knuckle as having started to give up and a low loader called to take it in. Burning smell was (apparently) the DPF regenerating as a spin off effect of the fault from the steering.

Enterprise have now provided a (new) D4 as a courtesy while ours is fixed. Either way, warranty work again. What would be the normal costs in ££ and time for a steering knuckle to be fixed? I'm guessing its not an off hte shelf part that they have lying around.
 Dr Rick  
Post #11290219th Jul 2013 3:23 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Shaft is QMN500240. Very common issue on both D3 and D4. Part costs around £60 or so, and half an hour labour Thumbs Up
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #113415221st Jul 2013 10:07 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bill Wright

England 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Tech Auto Kaikoura StoneDiscovery 4
Re: Knuckle

DrRick wrote:
Burning smell was (apparently) the DPF regenerating as a spin off effect of the fault from the steering

How does that connect?

Bill Thumbs Up
 Never take life too seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

D4 SDV6 SE Tech Kaikoura Stone MY15. 

Post #113415321st Jul 2013 10:11 am
DrRick

Scotland 

Fair enough. Pity they couldn't put the steering wheel straight when they tightened everything up.
 Dr Rick  
Post #113416021st Jul 2013 10:20 am
Disco_Mikey

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Cairns BlueDiscovery 3

Steering shaft should not affect where the steering wheel sits. There is no adjustment in it Confused
 My D3 Build Thread

TDV8 Retrofit Build Thread 

Post #113416821st Jul 2013 10:34 am
DrRick

Scotland 

That may well be, but the wheel was straight before it went in and about 5deg out now.

Surely taking the connection between the front wheels and the steering wheel out must introduce the option of putting it back together out of line. Either way, they're going to sort it.
 Dr Rick  
Post #113421821st Jul 2013 2:25 pm
DrRick

Scotland 
Re: Knuckle

Bill Wright wrote:
DrRick wrote:
Burning smell was (apparently) the DPF regenerating as a spin off effect of the fault from the steering

How does that connect?

Bill Thumbs Up

Not sure. Just what the LR techie said when he turned up. I think he was more reasonably saying that the burning smell wasn't the steering.
 Dr Rick  
Post #113503323rd Jul 2013 12:58 pm
peterm

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Quote:
That may well be, but the wheel was straight before it went in and about 5deg out now.

I assume you got the lower steering column with u-joint replaced ? I had replaced mine recently (D3 though), and it was the same thing, steering wheel not 100% straight afterwards. Not out by much, just enough to notice. The old one was very worn, and I put the steering wheel not being straight now down to the play/wear in the old shaft.

/Peter
 Gone and missed : D3 TDV6 SE MY2008  
Post #113508323rd Jul 2013 3:37 pm
DrRick

Scotland 

Unnecessary quote removed

Not sure, I'll check on the paperwork when I get home. However, the car is less than 3-yrs old and only done 26,000 miles in the UK. Hardly a recipe for failure you would think. It'll go in for an alignment check and include the steering wheel being straightened. This is all under warranty and they'll keep it until fixed to my satisfaction as far as I'm concerned.
 Dr Rick  
Post #113508423rd Jul 2013 3:40 pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply Back to top
Page 1 of 1
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >