12%
 12%  [19]
I broke my key!
3%
 3%  [6]
Total Votes: 152

bmc052

Malta 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4

Will do. Meanwhile i will try get a new case for the key since once its open might aswell do all the plastics new.

Cheers
il-BMC

Post #99363924th Oct 2012 4:17 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
New empty case is not hard to get.

Yes, I see new empty cases on eBay so probably getting a new case is a good idea. Sometimes the case comes with an uncut key blank. I think there are a couple of different key blank profiles that the 3 uses so try to match up the profile of what you have with what you would get.

Then with luck, you may beable to get the blank cut locally so you could have an emergency door lock only key tied underneath somewhere.

Also unrelated, exercise the manual door lock mechanism, (windows rolled down in case nothing works), as sometimes the mechanical lock is frozen due to lack of use. Now is the time to find out, not when you need it. I exercise mine about twice a year.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #99364724th Oct 2012 4:29 pm
muddywheels4wd

England 

Oldgeezer on Freel2 has had the sleep issue and like me parks in a garage with no access to passenger door Shocked

http://www.freel2.com/forum/topic13457.html?highlight=sleep

This will be a nightmare if this happens to me:(
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day! 

Post #99365224th Oct 2012 4:35 pm
Dave Shirley

England 2007 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3

I give my key lock a squirt of WD 40 occasionally, usually when I lubricate the door hinges and locks and having a general look around the car. Use the key to remove and refit the cover to save those precious lugs.

Post #99552229th Oct 2012 12:03 am
Robbie

United Kingdom 2013 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Baltic BlueDiscovery 4

The longest that the emergency lock should go unused is 1 year as it part of the service schedule:
Quote:
Door Locks and Hinges

1. Check operation of all door locks, bonnet lock and fuel filler flap.

2. Lubricate all door check straps, bonnet catch and fuel filler flap catch.

I think my dealer would be picking up the cost of recovery if they had been charging for a full service and omitting bits of the service schedule. Land Rover even have a bespoke lubricant for the lock. Clearly no dealer would ever omit items from the service schedule and I have never had to point out a non-working lock, unchecked seat bolts, un-greased wheel bolt spigots, intercooler not cleaned, billing for unchanged pollen filter etc etc….
 Land Rover - Turning Drivers into Mechanics Since 1948

Battery & Quiescent Current Drain Testing

Diagnostics for:
Defender, FL2, D3, D4, Evoque, RRS & FFRR
A not-for-profit enterprise

Post #99556129th Oct 2012 8:55 am
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #99558229th Oct 2012 9:56 am
Robbie

dangerdave wrote:
Pathetic peep, peep. Rolling Eyes

Question

Diagnostics for:

Post #99562529th Oct 2012 11:55 am
dangerdave

Admin note: post content removed at user request

Post #99562729th Oct 2012 12:01 pm
bmc052

Malta 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 XS Auto Santorini BlackDiscovery 4
Key working :)

Did not manage to open without breaking the key plastics, however bought the whole thing for 15 euros. as predicted just some soldering with the battery connections did the trick and now the key is in perfect working function.

Thanks so much guys for the encouragement and support Wink . You are all great Thumbs Up .

il-BMC

Post #9999637th Nov 2012 9:04 pm
THFC

United Kingdom 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 HSE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
None of the above

yes
no
yes but with difficulty
I broke my key!

None of the above. Tried the key and broke the f Censored g lock !!!!!! It worked when i tried it last week now it just turns.
I think it knows its going to be sold and is playing hard to get Censored Censored
 PRIDE OF NORTH LONDON
AUDERE-EST-FACERE 

Post #105995521st Feb 2013 10:44 pm
kiwirich

Australia 2009 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Galway GreenDiscovery 3
Tricky little sh*t

I was testing mine on the weekend.......

It seems that if you single Lock the Car ( Remote) then you can Unlock using the manual key Very Happy

If you double Lock the Car ( Remote) then you are stuffed Embarassed Big Cry Censored Censored Censored

Richard

Post #107531221st Mar 2013 9:47 am
Robbie

I'll try that on my D4 as I always double lock, but if that prevents entry with a key I may think again!

Diagnostics for:

Post #107531421st Mar 2013 9:52 am
trogg

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Orkney GreyDiscovery 3
key locking

hi Had to use my key to unlock car so could remove battery to charge it when locking car could not lock drivers door everything else locked. any ideas.

Post #121704113th Jan 2014 10:35 pm
bbyer

Canada 2005 LR3 4.4 V8 HSE Auto Zambezi SilverLR3
should both lock and unlock mechanically

I was not certain what you were saying.

Do you mean you have put the battery back in and then used the push button and three doors locked but the drivers door did not lock with the push button or....

First off, I assume your 3 is a RHD and hence the drivers door is the right front door?

I also assume the mechanical door lock is on the left front door, as it also is on LHD vehicles?

Regardless, the door the mechanical lock is on in my LHD LR3 is the left front door. By removing the cap, inserting the key and then turning the key clockwise, this locks just the left front door; counter clockwise mechanically unlocks only that same door, starting battery installed or not.

Incidentally, if you are experimenting as to what the locks do, roll a window down first. You can lock your keys inside the 3 by pushing on the interior mechanical lock "button" located by the door latch and then shutting that door. If the window is closed, and the other three doors were already locked, you can then only look thru that window at your key still sitting on the seat - well you will have learned something.

In summary, the mechanical door lock will lock and unlock that door with or without a battery installed. If the central power locking is not working, then use the interior locking button/lever to lock each door individually. To open a door from inside, it then takes a double pull on the interior latch - the first pulls unlocks door, the second pull opens the door.

Also sometimes the door locks get out of sync and it takes a few key fob pushbutton lock and unlock operations to get all back in sync - that may be what you were referring to.

It is also possible for the little rods within the door to get mixed up and then one has to remove the door card and get the rods back in order - but that is rare. More common is that the mechanical door lock has frozen from lack of use and requires lubrication, most likely from the inside, hence the door card has to be removed to gain access.
 2005 LR3 HSE 4.4L AJ-V8 petrol; Traxide Dual Battery; PIAA 2500K Yellow Ion H11 Fog Light bulbs; CounterAct LT-2 Capacitive Corrosion control; LLumar AIR80 Blue clear Infra Red blocking side window film; Liftgate manual release; Schrader Valve "air in" mod to OEM air suspension reservoir tank; Akebono ceramic pads; OEM solid vented discs; LR4 design hitch receiver; Wiggs D4 MOST bluetooth module; Clock on the Dash; 3 Flash signal light mod; Backup Camera; 2015/16 Nav Data update.  
Post #121714114th Jan 2014 2:16 am
snake hips cotter

Scotland 2005 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Zambezi SilverDiscovery 3
key lock

I tried my lock on passenger door. Found it just turning and not opening lock. But found on opening with the key fob. The door will lock using the passenger door lock. Sad

Post #139326521st Dec 2014 9:05 am
Post Reply Back to top
Page 5 of 7 <1234567>
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >