Advertise on DISCO3.CO.UK
Forum · Gallery · Wiki · Shop · Sponsors
DISCO3.CO.UK > In Car Electronics (D3)

Kenwood fitting kit
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 3 <123
caverD3

Australia 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 SE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

I'll replace mine with the new generation mini note book eventually, solid state hard drives, current one low power and memory has to run XP. They will only get better. You could also hide the in car PC behind the panel in the back (if you don't haver rear air)
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #31312523rd Jun 2008 2:02 am
JND72

2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Stornoway GreyDiscovery 3

Caver

I don't think it includes the connectors, but I'm also seeing if the same guys in the UK can supply the CAN-BUS adapter to make it a potential DIY install. I'm trying to identify the right one just now though!

See:
soundlinx.co.uk

Also note that the steering wheel controls will be obselete with an aftermarket head unit. I've asked many people, and they all indicate that there is no kit to get the steering wheel controls to interface with an aftermarket headunit. Willing to be proved wrong though!

Justin

Post #31315823rd Jun 2008 8:50 am
Andycapper

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Hi Caver,

Would be very interested to get a full spec on your unit.

As I have the high spec radio (and am very happy with it), my main interest would be as a decent screen for moving maps - probably driven by something like the Magellan Xplorist with topographical maps.

Most of the systems on offer come with a whole lot of stuff I neither need not want. Have you looked into the car pc's mentioned...?

Ta,

Andy
 Have my new year Disco..! Atacama Sand, active diff, active headlights, hi-ice, cooler, sliding loadspace floor, window tint, MP3, Mantec plate, roof rails, mud  
Post #31316423rd Jun 2008 9:08 am
caverD3

This is the unit I installed. Be warned requires cutting of the lining of the cubby to fit plus cutting the back to get it to fit. Crying or Very sad

http://www.xenarcdirect.com/product.php?pr...amp;page=1

This is a good site to start, bought it through them. Thumbs Up

http://www.mp3car.com/

Carputer could be an option

http://store.mp3car.com/Mp3Car_Custom_Car_...cc-121.htm

Lots of toys in th store and a good forum. Very Happy
 â€œThere are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games”
Ernest Hemmingway
D4 3.0 Active Diff, Adaptive Lights, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Privacy Glass.
D3 2.7:Adaptive Headlights,Electronic Rear Diff,ARB Bar,Blaupunkt Speakers,JVC Powered Subwoofer,Removable Snorkel,Mitch Hitch,Pioneer After Market Head Unit,Steering Wheel Control Adaptor,Remote Adjustable Supension Rod System, Taxside Dual Battery System. 

Post #31316823rd Jun 2008 9:23 am
Martin
Site Admin and Owner 

United Kingdom 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Manual Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3

The steering wheel controls are a resistor ladder, so the output signal to the head unit is an analogue voltage - it's nothing "clever" (i.e. CAN based). So it should be possible to get a unit to convert to Kenwood/Sony/whoever signals to control their ICE equipment.
 06 D3 SE / 15 LR D90 XS SW / 88 LR 90 Td5 / 68 BMW 2000 ti
Any issues with the site let me know! 

Post #31316923rd Jun 2008 9:25 am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
catweasel

Andycapper wrote:
Most of the systems on offer come with a whole lot of stuff I neither need not want. Have you looked into the car pc's mentioned...?
you could build one. I'm in the process of putting one together, so far the mobo has cost $40 with $20 for the ram, you could build your own case from just about anything. power supply could be got for around $80 and a2.5" drive for similar or less. screen can range in value and then your done. just load pre-existing software onto it and away you go. will look like the oem one Thumbs Up
if you like you can run them off of CF cards or the like.

Post #31317323rd Jun 2008 9:31 am
Andycapper

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

Hi Caver - many thanks for the links and tips - but would your system fit in the Kenwood Double DIN mounting kit mentioned on the Group Buy thread - without hacking into the dash ?

Cat, thanks for the suggestions - would be interested in more details, am not really into building PCs but would not rule it out - also rather like the idea of the Apple Mini shown on one of the links Caver provided, as am thoroughly over Bill Gates and the aggravation associated with windoze...

Andy
 Have my new year Disco..! Atacama Sand, active diff, active headlights, hi-ice, cooler, sliding loadspace floor, window tint, MP3, Mantec plate, roof rails, mud  
Post #31317623rd Jun 2008 9:53 am
caverD3

The Kenwood is a double din the Xenarc is a single but you could put it above a sinble din aftermarket haead unit.
You could fit some aux in/out/usb sockets on the blank below the screen in the xenarc too.
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #31319923rd Jun 2008 10:36 am
wiggs

United Kingdom 2015 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Auto Fuji WhiteDiscovery 4

JND72 wrote:

Also note that the steering wheel controls will be obselete with an aftermarket head unit. I've asked many people, and they all indicate that there is no kit to get the steering wheel controls to interface with an aftermarket headunit. Willing to be proved wrong though!

Justin

Can be done ..here is a quote from another post

jager24 wrote:
jonesy63 wrote:
One more question - did you lose functionality of the steering wheel stereo controls when replacing the head unit?
Thanks.

Yes you do but you can regain control with a PAC SWI-PS Steering wheel interface. Works great. www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=5696&cat=259

You will lose the control of the Info Menu (to change door lock settings etc...) but the dealer can set this for you or if you tuck the original wiring harness by the AC vent you can just remove the the trim and plug in the stock head unit, change the menus and remove it. I have only needed to change those settings once in the past year.

Post was here http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic6856.html?highlight=pioneer
 G4 Gone ...but not forgotten  
Post #31322623rd Jun 2008 11:27 am
TimM

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 4.0 V6 Petrol SE Auto Java BlackDiscovery 3
After market Sat Nav, rear camera, ipod etc - Kenwood

noidea wrote:
The facial kits is not available in Australia. I think only Kenwood UK have it. Have anyone got them yet and fitted into the car. I wanna see the pictures too...

Kenwood make a great integrated unit taps into the factory radio and uses a 7" LCD display where the factory sat nav goes (for the display, and the 'boxes' go under the front seats).
I had mine installed with sat nav, rear camera, bluetooth for the mobile phone, and also an ipod connector so I play the ipod through it (and also the kids can watch DVD's from the ipod - so no need for a DV player).
It keeps the dash original, and looks almost like a factory fit for $3500 - installed!

Post #3181586th Jul 2008 6:37 am
LBS

Denmark 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Kenwood 7200 in D3

I have some photos in my gallery of the Kenwood 7200 mounted in a D3 S - I don´t yet know how to post them here...

http://www.disco3.co.uk/gallery/displayima...&pos=0

Post #3184576th Jul 2008 10:55 pm
caverD3

LBS
Where did you buy yours or was it part of the install?
Ernest Hemmingway

Post #3184837th Jul 2008 2:41 am
noidea

Australia 2008 Discovery 3 TDV6 S Auto Atacama SandDiscovery 3

LBS, that is very nice. Very OEM. Can you tell us the price ? Thanks

Post #3185287th Jul 2008 8:11 am
PaulP

Spain 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham BlueDiscovery 3
Re: Kenwood 7200 in D3

LBS wrote:
I have some photos in my gallery of the Kenwood 7200 mounted in a D3 S - I don´t yet know how to post them here...

LBS....that looks 8) 8) It integrates beautifully. Can you see the screen ok whilst driving?

See if you can post a few photos of the screen in action with better lighting. Whistle

The centre console looks really 'empty' without all of the buttons from the original radio doesn't it? Laughing

I'll post the picture here for you (from your own gallery).

Click image to enlarge
 2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 SE Auto Buckingham Blue
2007 Golf GT DSG 

Post #3186277th Jul 2008 10:55 am
LBS

Denmark 2012 Discovery 4 3.0 SDV6 HSE Lux Auto Unknown ColourDiscovery 4
Kenwood 7200 in D3

I have uploaded some extra photos - unfortunately it is from a car at the dealer... I was planning on getting one for my one car, but I think price is still to high...

Here is at link to the Danish dealer - info only i danish?!?
http://www.landrover.dk/365/

The price in Jan 08 was around 21.000,- DKK, with is around 2800 € - this is included install and also install of rear view cam and bluetooth adapter.

PaulP you got a point - it looks a little empty without the original radio, but with this one you get Navi, DVD, iPod (incl. iPod video), rear view cam and Bluetooth.... I better start saving up for one...

Post #3188967th Jul 2008 5:47 pm
Post Reply Back to top
Page 3 of 3 <123
Jump to:  
Previous Topic | Next Topic >